Chill Pills for Cats

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really chill pills but anything that I can use besides chamomile or Jackson Galaxy's stuff (let's not go there) to calm Cooper. He's more hyperactive then Treasure was and is terrorizing all the other cats.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Vigorous play sessions followed by a meal helps our guys. Sometimes ;)

Also CBD oil drops added to food can be calming, although it’s somewhat untested at the moment on any long term effects especially in pets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to be controversial on here but I'm against the use of CBD. Not going into detail as why as this isn't the forum to discuss that. And catnip makes him aggressive sniffed or ingested. He doesn't like chamomile no matter what I put it in and I still say the JG product made him aggressive as well as he attacked the other cats while being given and then once I stopped giving to him he stopped. But how would the other products work for outside?

Oh and the play doesn't work with Cooper. Last time I tried to play with him before feeding he almost attacked me.

Once he's finished eating he's fine to play (that is if there are no more filled food bowls). If there is more food in unoccupied bowls he's all for the eating and very aggressive if interrupted.

Meanwhile Shaman and Shadow have to suffer his food aggression and wait til he's gone and then I have to literally sneak the food outside to them. While Shaman and Shadow don't get along they do stay to their own bowls (unlike Cooper). Bad enough I have to sneak from my Mom but I have to sneak around Cooper as well.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vigorous play sessions followed by a meal helps our guys. Sometimes ;)

Also CBD oil drops added to food can be calming, although it’s somewhat untested at the moment on any long term effects especially in pets.
Not to be controversial on here but I'm against the use of CBD.

Yes, CBD use in pets is currently untested and many vets caution / discourage the use of CBD for pets. There's just no well published safety data on the use of CBD for pets at this time. Err on the side of caution when using such products and always discuss with the vet. Don't just use it because it's the newest trendy product out there that's endorsed by celebrities and pet owners online claim it works miracles.

Rescue Remedy can be helpful. There's a pet specific one. OnlyNaturalPet.com should have it along with other more natural forms of calming products and probably some that do contain CBD.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe there's something here that might help, (some products have already been mentioned):
Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Sentry calming collar, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy - UK (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I see no reason to try to calm a active, healthy cat even if he is driving other cats crazy. Let them deal with him with a slap or a nip.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Kind of hard to do when he's feral and lives outdoors and runs to the front to attack

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rescue Remedy and Bach Flower Essences (and Homeopet, of course) are also homeopathic/"energy medicine", just like the flower essences Jackson Galaxy's site sells.

Some of the herbal products do seem to have a slight calming effect. Valerian seems to be one of the most effective, and cats like it, sort of like catnip.

The calming collars might help, and you could write your phone number on them so they'd serve 2 purposes.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rescue remedy is basically the same thing as the Jackson Galaxy stuff you mentioned just FYI. It’s the undetectable “essence” of flowers mixed into some water and glycerin.

Seconding the feliway recommendation.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Would feliway work outside though? Feral cats are outdoors as Mom is allergic.