Chili questions

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know why, but I have a craving for chili. The thing is I don't like hot spicy foods....to the point where regular black pepper is "hot" enough for me. So my first question...
How much chili powder seasoning can I safely add to my chili to get the chili "flavor" without the "hot". I'm making a regular crock pot size amount.
Second...
The recipes I've seen call for a couple tablespoons tomato paste...can I just omit that ingredient? I don't have any, and am too lazy to go out and get some.:paperbag: Is the tomato paste specifically for flavor, or is it needed due to the thick texture?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can make chili however you want! If it doesn't taste quite right this time you'll know what to add the next time.

So you can leave it out entirely, or use one of these substitutions: What's the Best Substitute for Tomato Paste?

I don't think chili powder is hot at all, unless you specifically got the hot stuff. Usually you have to add cayenne or another hot pepper to get heat. I always add one tablespoon of chili powder, one tablespoon of garlic powder, and one teaspoon of cumin to a large batch. (But I really like garlic, so if you don't, maybe start with a teaspoon, lol.)

Last year I was experimenting with adding "weird" stuff like chocolate, instant coffee, red wine, etc. They all add quite a nice richness when added in small amounts. Now that it's getting cold again I'll have to start experimenting again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think chili powder is hot at all, unless you specifically got the hot stuff.
Well don't I feel like a dink :paperbag: .....They say you learn something new everyday!:thumbsup:
Chili is just something I have never made before, so I never really knew...which is also why I have no idea why I'm craving for it.
I always add one tablespoon of chili powder, one tablespoon of garlic powder, and one teaspoon of cumin to a large batch.
I was planning on adding garlic and onions to it for more flavor since I thought I would be having to cut back on the chili powder....I may just continue to add the garlic anyway....I like it too.

Your experimentation sounds a bit too adventurous for me...especially for my first time making it.:lol: But I'll remember that for when (or if) I make it again.

Thanks for the info!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I always add some semi-sweet chocolate chips to my chili! It makes the tomato sauce a bit richer and cuts some of the acidity. You can’t taste any chocolate (unless you put too many in, of course :) ).

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can buy tomato paste in a tube instead of a can. The tube lasts longer than a can, a few years I think, and if you really have no use for the rest of the tube, give it to someone who can use it. Sometimes I buy this brand:

Tomato paste is mostly used to thicken and flavor the sauce, I think. The paste is super concentrated tomato. You could try omitting it but the overall flavor of the dish might be a little different. Maybe look for a recipe that doesn't include tomato paste?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tobermory Tobermory and W Willowy
OK, now you have me really intrigued...I'm actually not a fan of that over powering tangy acidity that tends to always be there with tomato based sauces, so I wonder if maybe I should add some chocolate.
How much to you add? approximately...

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chocolate is a part of Cincinnati style chili. It is a very different type of chili, it also has cinnamon in it. The family that started it were Greek immigrants and cinnamon in meat is a big part of Greek cuisine. I think it is more of a sauce then chili but people in Cincinnati are very fond of it. It is usually served over spaghetti or used as a coney sauce and topped with shredded cheddar.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Here’s my recipe, but it makes a huge quantity of chili. I omit the beans, freeze part of it, and add the beans before heating and serving. Or you could play around with halving the recipe.

The tomato paste is just to thicken it so it’s not so liquid-y. If you aren’t a fan of the heat, I’d cut the chili powder by half. It depends on your chili powder, though, as some brands are spicier than others.

1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
1 onion, diced (size depends on how much you like onion :) )
2 cloves of garlic, chopped (I use already-chopped garlic)
2 tablespoons of chili powder (less if you want the flavor but less heat)
1 teaspoon allspice
Two 14.5 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of beef broth
1 can of tomato sauce
1 small can of tomato paste (or use a tube and add enough to thicken to the consistency you prefer)
1/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 or 2 cans of beans (I use either Great Northern or black beans)

Sauté onion and garlic. Brown ground beef and sausage. Mix together. Add beef broth. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Season with chili powder and allspice to taste. Add chocolate chips.

Simmer for at least 45 minutes until flavors are blended. Add beans before serving and make sure they’re heated through. If it’s too thick, you can add water until you get the desired consistency. Garnish with shredded cheddar, if desired, before serving.

It’s actually very easy and pretty fast...and always tastes better the next day. Chili is one of those extremely forgiving dishes. You can do almost anything with it. I sometimes use all ground beef or all pork. I use the sausage if I want it to be more spicy.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much to you add? approximately...
Like I said, I was experimenting. So I think I was up to 4 squares of very dark chocolate (milk seems weird in chili). Half-ish a normal sized candy bar, I'd say. It mellows it a little and makes it richer, but you don't taste the actual chocolate.

In Nebraska they eat chili with cinnamon rolls (no icing) instead of cornbread. I haven't tried it myself but it sounds like it might be good. Cornbread is somewhat sweet so it's not all that weird.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I love chili, the spicier the better so I use 2 1/2 tblsp. of chili powder but as the above members suggested you can use the amount that satisfies your taste buds. Instead of tomato paste I use fire roasted crushed tomatoes. I also use 3-4 types of beans: black beans, pinto beans, dark red kidney beans and garbanzo beans if I have them. Sometimes I add pasta shells or rotini pasta to the leftovers. I agree that cornbread goes great paired with chili. :agree:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use lots of chili powder - 2 to 4 tablespoonsful. It doesn't get hot until I add crushed red peppers. I used to add 2 teaspoonfuls but now I'm down to 1/2 tsp. I really don't like it so hot anymore. I also use a small can of tomato paste, 2 cans of diced tomatoes, and 2 cans of dark red kidney beans, undrained. It's important not to drain the beans because that gives a more robust flavor. Instead of chocolate, I use about 1/4 cup of baking cocoa. The recipe also calls for 1 cup of beer, which I don't always have, but the chili is good anyway.

With the cool weather we've been having, I've been thinking of chili myself, but have decided to go for beef stroganoff next week.