Chicken Free Cat Food?

Ashlo4321

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there-
I have a 11 month old kitten that has a chicken allergy. He strictly eats hydrolized protein royal canin dry food. But the vet said since he loves his wet food so much to try to find brands that are chicken free.

So far I have found instinct wet food. They have a few flavors that are chicken free. I’m wondering if anyone has any other recommendations because it doesn’t seem like my cats like this brand too much.

Thanks in advance !

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are plentttty of chicken free foods on the market. A young cat like that with a chicken allergy shouldn’t be on what is essentially a vegetarian food. Seems a bit extreme to me. Is he allergic to anything else? Is it all poultry or just chicken?
Are you looking to feed only wet from here on out? Or are you interested in dry food as well?
You might look into merrick limited ingredient foods as well as blue buffalos limited ingredient. Natural balance lid canned food isn’t half bad either.
I know there are many more and I’m sure others will mention some. But I would just go to your nearest petstore and see what they can find as far as chicken free foods. I work at a petstore and I know I love a good chicken free food hunt.
You can also filter through chewy.com’s stock to find something if that better suits your needs.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley:
All right. Poor boy needs some real meat in his life. Let me get my tired brain spinning. Have you tried the pride line of natures variety?They have a minced and flaked rabbitt food that my cats love. It’s chicken free. It’s called rockstar rabbitt and ritzy rabbitt. Also their diva duck is duck and turkey so it’s chicken free. Merrick makes a limited ingredient turkey,duck and salmon in pate forms. My cats like all of them. Merrick also makes rabbitt and beef pouches in their backcountry line, those are chicken free. Whole earth farms makes a beef and salmon pate and a beef and turkey pate that are chicken free. Whole earth farms turkey pate is also just turkey. There are many many more those are just a few that I have fed to my cats off the top of my head. I agree with cheesycats cheesycats that your kitten should not be eating just the hydrolized protein dry food. Cats need moisture, especially male cats so they don’t end up with urinary problems. Good luck. I hope you find something your baby enjoys. :goodluck:

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Merrick Backcountry Grain-Free Morsels in Gravy Real Rabbit Recipe Cuts Cat Food Pouches, 3-oz, case of 24

My cats go bonkers over these, although it has egg in it. I'm not sure if cats with chicken allergies are also allergic to eggs or if that is dependent on the cat!

Redbarn Naturals Lamb Pate Skin & Coat Grain-Free Canned Cat Food, 5.5-oz, case of 24

This is a lamb pate that both of mine like as well, no chicken or egg products. Be careful though because it's rather high in fat! I rotate it with Merrick's rabbit pate because that is low in fat and high in protein (has chicken in it, sorry). Good luck finding a food for your boy!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Merrick is a fairly easy food to find. they do have a few that have no chicken. my guys like the backcountry rabbit and the beef, sometimes the duck.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just tried I and love and you. Just the rabbitt so far and it was a hit. I think it’s a good food and if they keep eating it I’ll add it to my ever growing rotation :)

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just tried I and love and you. Just the rabbitt so far and it was a hit. I think it’s a good food and if they keep eating it I’ll add it to my ever growing rotation :)
Good, the only issue I have with Merrick is they put fish oil in the food, my cat mouse can't have any fish or the oil of it either or there will be lost fur and immense itching.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I joined because I wanted to share my experiences. I adopted an adult male from a shelter back in November. He was having issues with diarrhea and I could not figure out what was going on, nor could my vet. We tested for parasites, had bloodwork done, nothing could be figured out. He put him on that science diet which didn't help and cost me $60 for a 2 week supply. I did a bit of research and thought "could it be a food allergy?".

I found that the most common protein (meat) allergies in cats is fish, eggs, and chicken. I first got some food that was fish free and gave it 4 days without improvement. I then began the hunt of my life for chicken free cat food. I never realized just how much cat food contained chicken! Almost all of it does!

I found this list here: Chicken-Free Cat Food - Purrfect Love which helped a lot. I got cases of the food on Chewy. I had to make sure what I got was pleasing to my other cat who was on Fancy Feast for the last 6 years.

Anywho, I got them both eating a mix of wet and dry. I have the Blue Basics LID turkey and potato dry for filler and they are eating the following canned foods with minimal complaints or snubbing:

I and Love and You - Rabbit, Turkey
Purina ONE - Grain Free Classic Beef
Blue Basics LID - Duck & potato
Iams Purrfect Delights Flaked (Variety pack fish flavors)

So they are getting rabbit, turkey, duck, fish, and beef. I wanted to be able to give them a decent amount of variety so they don't get bored. I figured I would share to help anyone else facing this issue. It was a nightmare to read all the labels.

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My guy is also intolerant to chicken and fish.

For wet- I do raw because he seams to react to anything I don’t have 100% control over. He also never wanted to eat the LID foods or the ones he would eat were $4+/- a can where I live (not happening for a growing kitten).

For dry- I’m currently having great luck with the Halo sensitive stomach turkey and turkey liver. No chicken or fish. I was worried about peas with him, but he’s pooping like a champ right now and we are 2 weeks in.

Finding food he would eat and digest was quite the challenge.

Also look into Rayne- it’s a Canadian vet office only food that reads really well. They have some novel protein foods.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had to go with chicken free foods for a number of years too. Ones my cats liked:

Dave's Beef
Instinct LID
Evangers Quail
ZiwiPeak Venison
Redbarn Naturals Lamb
Walk About Kangaroo

Others that offer Chicken free:

Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein
Wild Calling
Natural Balance LID
Koha
Rawz
Hound and Gatos

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of foods have chicken but many don't. If you go on chewy.com you can filter by protein type.