Chicken For Meals

MyHeartAshi

Meows are the best "Welcome Homes"
Kitten
Purraise
Hi yall,

So I know a full diet of chicken isnt good for cats, but I recently put my 8 yo female on a diet of rotisserie chicken because we were thinking it was her last week due to some health issues. However, since she has been on the pure chicken diet she has returned to her normal personality! Any tips on how I should proceed nutrition wise? She does not like wet food at all and she doesn't seem to like eating dry food anymore either, which is why I put her on chicken cause it was the ONLY THING she would eat.
Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Store rotisserie chicken often contains garlic and onion which are no-nos for cats. Can you poach a chicken breast or thigh in plain water instead and then mix in a supplement such as EZComplete?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MyHeartAshi

Kitten
Purraise
Can you poach a chicken breast or thigh in plain water instead and then mix in a supplement such as EZComplete?
That sounds interesting! Ive been very careful to only feed her the inner meat where most of the seasonings would not have gotten to. What are the benefits of that supplement?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
EZComplete, and other similar products, contain all the necessary vitamins and minerals a cat needs. So it turns meat into a complete balanced diet for a cat. You can request a sample of EZComplete from the web site.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I requested a sample so hopefully my girl will take to it!
I hope she likes it, it's an excellent supplement. Our cats love it, though at first they looked at the first dish of it as if it weren't food... but then they approached it again and dug in.

The other thing I'd be concerned about with rotisserie chicken is the salt so it's great that you're going to try EZ Complete.

Also... have you tried canned foods with shredded chicken? Some of Tiki Cat and Weruva's foods have real shreds (as opposed to mushed-up chicken that's formed to look like shreds) with very plain liquid so the effect is similar to fairly plain chicken.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MyHeartAshi

Kitten
Purraise
Also... have you tried canned foods with shredded chicken? Some of Tiki Cat and Weruva's foods have real shreds (as opposed to mushed-up chicken that's formed to look like shreds) with very plain liquid so the effect is similar to fairly plain chicken.
She's supposed to be on a K/D diet for some kidney issues so I haven't experimented much with wet foods. But even when I tried the K/D wet food with chicken mixed she wouldn't really go for it.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's supposed to be on a K/D diet for some kidney issues so I haven't experimented much with wet foods. But even when I tried the K/D wet food with chicken mixed she wouldn't really go for it.
Well, if she likes the EZ Complete, that's a good one because it uses egg shell instead of bone for calcium, keeping the phosphorous relatively low, which is good for kidney cats. Given the kidney disease, getting more water into your cat will be very important, too. What is your cat's name, by the way?

The site that LTS3 LTS3 linked to may be very helpful. Weruva, one of the brands I mentioned, has pretty low phosphorous, as does Tiki. We fed a lot of Weruva to our previous cat, who had mild kidney disease -- she loved it. Another thought: I wonder if your cat's pickiness about food is related to the kidney disease? Kidney disease can reduce appetite.

Tanya's site has a food chart that shows "dry matter" phosphorous levels. (When our cat was sick, I kept her phosphorous to 1% dry matter or lower, whenever possible. That worked well. But of course every cat is different.)

Catinfo.org has a food chart, too, which shows phosphorous in a different way, milligrams per 100 calories. (I'm so used to dry matter that I have a hard time relating to this measure but it's better in a way because it's so important to get kidney cats to eat!)

Good luck! I'm glad you mentioned the CKD because that has such an effect on diet.