Chicken, fish and grain free (dry) cat foods?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if there are any dry cat foods besides Natural Balance that don't contain chicken, fish or grains?
My vet wants me to switch Mr Grey to a food without these ingredients to see if it may help clear up a skin condition (possibly immune or allergy related.) He refuses to eat canned food (although I keep trying!) so I need to find a dry food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Natures prarie had one///

I know Evo comes in a red meat only for dogs I thought I saw a cat version

Acana come s in a lamb

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you mean Nature's Variety Prairie, doesn't that have grains in it?
I looked up the Acana and the lamb type contains both fish and chicken. All I could find for EVO was a Turkey and Chicken one and a Herring and Salmon.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's the Royal Canin script foods, but like NB they use green pea and they do use anchovy oil.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was talking about instict by natures variety...

Sorry my memory failed about the acana have other meats....

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Instinct dry cat foods only has a chicken formula and a rabbit formula(which has chicken and fish in it.) I still haven't been able to find anything other than Natural Balance except for the prescription foods. You would think they'd have some other foods available!

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

Does anyone know if there are any dry cat foods besides Natural Balance that don't contain chicken, fish or grains?
My vet wants me to switch Mr Grey to a food without these ingredients to see if it may help clear up a skin condition (possibly immune or allergy related.) He refuses to eat canned food (although I keep trying!) so I need to find a dry food.
Have you tried Natural Balance duck/venison and pea Grain-Free (hypoallergenic formulas) wet food ?

While grain free dry is the best you can do with dry foods, it's still no substitute for canned. If you can't afford an all-canned diet, then at least consider one canned meal a day.
Your cat really can't drink enough water to make up for the dehydrating effects of dry.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried Natural Balance canned but I will get some and give it a try... I need to find a dry food because he won't eat canned food most of the time.

Before the vet said to go to an allergy diet I tried a bunch of other canned foods, both the higher end grain free and the cheap ones to try to get him (and his siblings) to eat some canned food. Most of them won't even touch canned food no matter what type I buy. Mr Grey once in a while will take a few bites of Wellness canned but most of the time he won't eat it even if I put him right in front of the dish. I still put canned food out several times a day, my senior cat Sneakers will eat it but the younger cats ignore it.

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I haven't tried Natural Balance canned but I will get some and give it a try... I need to find a dry food because he won't eat canned food most of the time.

Before the vet said to go to an allergy diet I tried a bunch of other canned foods, both the higher end grain free and the cheap ones to try to get him (and his siblings) to eat some canned food. Most of them won't even touch canned food no matter what type I buy. Mr Grey once in a while will take a few bites of Wellness canned but most of the time he won't eat it even if I put him right in front of the dish. I still put canned food out several times a day, my senior cat Sneakers will eat it but the younger cats ignore it.
I hope they don't become prone to UTI's. No matter which you choose… no more dry food for your cat ever. Wet food only! ...

Not speaking from personal experience here, but I do think most are only picky when they can afford to be. I have had a similar problem with my cats and kibble and allergies. However, once I decided that we were switching to the canned after one went through a brush with cystitis/bladder inflammation, they held out for a day or so and then they ate it with no complaints.

Your cats will be MUCH healthier, and while you'll spend a little more on food up front, think of the hundreds, if not thousands, you'll save on veterinary bills! Since I started mine on premium canned diets nearly 1 year ago I've never seen cats with such boundless energy (esp at night !
and such nice soft, shiny coats and eyes...Maybe too much energy to be exact. But yay for the vet bills -- no more utis or allergies on wet food !!!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried in the past withholding the dry food overnight and putting down canned only but they still wouldn't eat it. I am not willing to take away their dry food much longer than that, and my vet said not to, because of the potential for hepatic lipidosis (one of the siblings is 14.5 pounds) and other issues.
Mr Grey is ill and lost half a pound already between his previous vet visit and yesterday's so I need to be sure he is eating often and taking away the only type of food he'll consistently eat right now is not an option.
It's not a matter of cost. They are currently on Orijen dry and I put down Wellness canned several times daily (or sometimes Solid Gold tuna) whether they eat it or not.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does your vet carry Royal Canin prescription diet?
Their Limited ingredient foods, dry and wet can be a useful place to start.

Isis was food sensitive to something (stinky pudding stools) when I adopted her from a shelter...
after ruling out illness, I tried RC's Pea and Venison dry.
Overnight she was fine.
Now, after a year, she is able to eat some canned food that does not contain fruits, veggies, fish or many of the grains in a lot of canned food. She loves wet food now.

I am gradually increasing the ratio wet to day.

If your vet does not carry RC, you can use an on line site or a PetSmart Banfield with a script from your vet.
PetSmart carries Pea and Rabbit day & venison & pea wet.
http://www.royalcanin.us/cats/Veterinary_Diets.aspx

Be patient, use logic and don't give up.

PS...RC seems expensive but if fed the correct amount, it last quite a while.
If your sweetie does well on it then you can begin to add other simple ingredient food.

Feel better Mr Grey.

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I have tried in the past withholding the dry food overnight and putting down canned only but they still wouldn't eat it. I am not willing to take away their dry food much longer than that, and my vet said not to, because of the potential for hepatic lipidosis (one of the siblings is 14.5 pounds) and other issues.
Mr Grey is ill and lost half a pound already between his previous vet visit and yesterday's so I need to be sure he is eating often and taking away the only type of food he'll consistently eat right now is not an option.
It's not a matter of cost. They are currently on Orijen dry and I put down Wellness canned several times daily (or sometimes Solid Gold tuna) whether they eat it or not.
OK, I understand a heavy cat can come down with fatty liver disease very quickly on even a one meal fast. Sorry. I didn't mean to be insensitive.

Agreed the trick is to mix the old food with new and make any switch over gradual, wet or dry when changing drastically. 100% behind the RC brand ! The one that isn't on Holistic Select takes a urinary formula S/O and LOVES it.

hope your Mr. Grey is feeling better very, very soon!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah it's funny because they have never been picky when I switch to a different dry food but they just don't want the canned stuff. Mr Grey and his sister Harlequin won't even eat treats or people food either. I don't know why they won't eat the canned food, they got it when they were babies- I weaned them on canned but now they won't touch the stuff!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trout eats Fromme, and they have all different kinds so I'm sure they have one. It's healthy stuff I know that.

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I too needed a chicken, fish, and grain free dry diet for my kitty. I had tried the NB Duck and Green Pea dry, but that made my kitty vomit a lot. My vet ended up putting my kitty on a prescription diet (Royal Canin IVD Green Pea & Rabbit).

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fisheater

I too needed a chicken, fish, and grain free dry diet for my kitty. I had tried the NB Duck and Green Pea dry, but that made my kitty vomit a lot. My vet ended up putting my kitty on a prescription diet (Royal Canin IVD Green Pea & Rabbit).
RC green pea & rabbit is an excellent limited ingredient food.
You can see my earlier post about my experience with a RC limited ingredient food in this thread.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried adding a bit of warm water to the wet food? I do that for Nuala and Galahad. Mix it up so its a wet mush. They gobble it up. If I just put it out without the water, they take a couple of bites and walk away. Of course, Daphne still will not eat wet food at all.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Have you tried adding a bit of warm water to the wet food? I do that for Nuala and Galahad. Mix it up so its a wet mush. They gobble it up. If I just put it out without the water, they take a couple of bites and walk away. Of course, Daphne still will not eat wet food at all.
Adding a small amount of water (1 or 2 teaspoons) is a huge help...
my kitties think that the added water is gravy, they love it.

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

Adding a small amount of water (1 or 2 teaspoons) is a huge help...
my kitties think that the added water is gravy, they love it.
I'll third this suggestion! I have one cat who is canned only, one who will half heartedly eat canned only if it is mixed with some water, and one who scoffs at my attempts to get her to eat anything other than dry.

They are big pains in the butt, aren't they? But we love them anyway.