Chicken feed as cat litter

SpotTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been struggling with the dust that comes from my cats clay litter, so we got some Catsan Natural clumping litter. So far I like it (so do the cats) but it is quite expensive. I was thinking about trying chicken feed as a cheaper option, I have a few question about it that I am hoping somebody can answer. does it actually clump? Does it have to be something more specific then just non-medicated? Has anyone had a problem with their cats eating it? I maybe adopting a long haired cat soon does it get stuck to their hair badly?

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It would depend whether you used the grain or pellet variety of chicken feed. The pellets don't absorb moisture very well, and of course don't clump. The grain will possibly clump, but it creates a very sour smell when wet, and grows bacteria very quickly. And of course, if your cat does ingest some, it could cause a blockage as I don't believe they would be able to digest it.

I would recommend just looking for a cheaper litter, whether it is dust free, crystals or similar, rather than using chicken feed. Best of luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SpotTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It would depend whether you used the grain or pellet variety of chicken feed. The pellets don't absorb moisture very well, and of course don't clump. The grain will possibly clump, but it creates a very sour smell when wet, and grows bacteria very quickly. And of course, if your cat does ingest some, it could cause a blockage as I don't believe they would be able to digest it.

I would recommend just looking for a cheaper litter, whether it is dust free, crystals or similar, rather than using chicken feed. Best of luck.
I haven’t found any other cheaper cat litters, I am looking for a natural cat litter. There doesn’t seem to be many options in the UK

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hear that corn based cat litter is not a good idea. And, yes, your cat will most likely eat it, although all cats are different. All of my cats/kitten are outdoors but I'm trying to litterbox train some kittens. I'm just using dirt. From the dirt road. Hey, it's free, natural, and free of chemicals or what ever stuff people put in there.

SpotTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hear that corn based cat litter is not a good idea. And, yes, your cat will most likely eat it, although all cats are different. All of my cats/kitten are outdoors but I'm trying to litterbox train some kittens. I'm just using dirt. From the dirt road. Hey, it's free, natural, and free of chemicals or what ever stuff people put in there.
Do you know why corn is bad?

czuva

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can try pine pellet litter. It’s quite cheap as it’s used for horse bedding.

I used to use it before switching to paper pellet litter as my cat might have sensitivities to pine. But friends and family have used it with no problems.

SpotTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can try pine pellet litter. It’s quite cheap as it’s used for horse bedding.

I used to use it before switching to paper pellet litter as my cat might have sensitivities to pine. But friends and family have used it with no problems.
Thank you! Unfortunately my cats hate it