Chicken Crumbles as cat litter.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took the plunge and bought a 50lb bag of chicken layer crumbles to use in my litter boxes. I bought non-medicated starter poultry crumbles. They are Dumor brand from Tractor Supply. I have read several articles online (and a few posts here) about how chicken crumble is very similar to World's Best Cat Litter. I've never used WBC, but the crumble I bought is not clumping very well. The cats seem to have taken to it ok, but I'm worried it will have to be replaced very often if the urine doesn't clump well. 

I bought the baby crumbles b/c they are smaller than regular poultry/egg crumbles. One person online had suggested that it would clump better if the smaller crumbles were used. It also appears to be a little darker in color than WBC (at least compared to the picture on the bag). It is 20% protein if that matters... 

Any thoughts from those who use or have used Chicken Crumble? 

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Using chicken feed for litter? How does it compare in price? I had to google it to find out what chicken crumbles are.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think it will clump, at least that was my friend's experience. She still uses it but scoops the poops several times every day and changes the litter out completely I think once a week. She just doesn't like the idea of clay litter but from her description, chicken feed is a lot more work. And there is always a faint smell in her house.

There are others on TSC with direct experience. Hopefully one of them can chime in...

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a lot cheaper and that's the main point. $17 for 50lbs and it's much less dense than clay. In other words you get a bigger bag.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does clump, just not as well as clay. When I scooped earlier the clumps were pretty well formed so the issue may have been my over-zealous diggers. i've heard you can use baking soda for the smell. I haven't smelled anything yet unless I was scooping, just a corny barnyard smell.

I know there are some people here who use it. I've seen the posts.

Last edited:

spiderplant

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please let me know how it goes for you.  We were going to make the switch but I chickened out, we tried Blue Buffalo walnut litter instead(loved it but way too much dust for my cats), and now we're using World's Best in all of the boxes again.  I remember finding a suggestion of mixing WBCL in with the chicken feed for the best results.  I think someone actually just used two different types of chicken feed as well but I can't find that article/forum thread/blog post/whatever it was anywhere.  I'll send it along if I can ever find it.  

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I found to be quite interesting was, my kitty peed down the side of the box. This usually causes a big messy clump with clay. With the chicken feed, it just came right off-no residue either!

The absence of dust is great too. That's the main reason I chose it. I hate litter dust. The last 5 bags of FreshStep I bought were nothing but dust. It used to be great too.

Last edited:

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an update. It's working great so far. The clumping is actually a lot better now. Odor control for urine is great. I've read that adding baking soda will better control feces odor. That's not to say that it doesn't cover feces odor, but it doesn't work as well as FreshStep.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you buy a brand name? Where did you get the crumbles? I am thinking of giving this a try. Is it something i could get at Tractor Supply? Thanks!

Last edited:

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Read the initial post for type, and brand. Ask me if you have questions. Make sure you don't get medicated crumbles.
They will say medicated on tje bag if they are.

Last edited:

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing to consider is making sure to keep it pretty deep so pee doesn't leak to the bottom of the box. This is the case with all litter though.

I use big Sterelite containers, and I keep them about 2.5 inches deep.

My main reason for switching is my central heat and air kept blowing micronized litter dust around in my house. I was dusting constantly because the thought of breathing it freaked me out. Also, it's just gross to think about...

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got a 50 pound bag. I have four boxes (the big Sterlite totes) and usually use 70 pounds of Arm and Hammer in each; costs about $30 - $35 each. I change it out completely every 5 - 6 weeks, so that is adding up. The 50 pounds looks like it will be enough for one box. So at $15, it will really save me money, not to mention the environment! I am hoping my picky kids use it. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the tip...

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Those are giant litter boxes! What do you scoop with a snow shovel? Just kidding :-)

How many cats do you have? I just switched totally with no transition. My girls yelled a little bit at first but now they love it.

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have six inside cats and one outside. I started using the Sterlite totes because my biggest two would fling litter all over the place and sometimes pee over the edges. The totes are deep enough to prevent that. I also prefer to keep the litter pretty deep.

I use a scooper if got at Petsmart. It's metal, so it has never broken like the plastic ones. I can also soak it in bleach on occasion. I am not sure if that works but it makes me feel cleaner. :)

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have six inside cats and one outside. I started using the Sterlite totes because my biggest two would fling litter all over the place and sometimes pee over the edges. The totes are deep enough to prevent that. I also prefer to keep the litter pretty deep.

I use a scooper if got at Petsmart. It's metal, so it has never broken like the plastic ones. I can also soak it in bleach on occasion. I am not sure if that works but it makes me feel cleaner. :)
I have always wondered if those expensive metal scoops are worth the coin. I need to get one of those.

I use Sterelite boxes too, but I don't think mine are as deep as yours.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They definitely are. I've had mine for seven years. The plastic ones never lasted more than a couple of months.

I put the crumbles in one litter box and they are using it already! I am absolutely stunned, as they are soooo picky about their litter. I think because the crumbles are the same weight as the clay. They never liked the pine or corn because it was lighter weight.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually tried the "chicken feed" as well for my cats last year. I gave up though because it was not clumping well for me. The bag I purchased also seemed "moist" to me - not really dry like the WBCL which I used to use also. OMG - the price on the WBCL is outrageous so I had to find a cheaper litter. HMMM - I wonder if I should try the chicken feed again. I have a friend who has used the Dumor brand from Tractor Supply for years with great results. I did love the no dust and the price. I use Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat since then but may just give the chicken feed another try.

I also use the tall Sterilite clear boxes. I have the 105 qt. :lol3: My cats took to jumping in and out very easily and I am going to try to replace on of my other four litter boxes with another. It works so well to contain the litter. Pip is such a messy litter box kitty. Presley rises up now during pee and this keeps the urine inside where it belongs and not down the walls. :eek:

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did have a question. I ended up with the chicken layer pellets, which my cats are using. But I was wondering if the crumbles you got are smaller. I did not see anything but these in the Dumor brand. If the crumbles are different, I'd like to make sure I ask for them specifically next time.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did have a question. I ended up with the chicken layer pellets, which my cats are using. But I was wondering if the crumbles you got are smaller. I did not see anything but these in the Dumor brand. If the crumbles are different, I'd like to make sure I ask for them specifically next time.
Those will work all except for the fact that they don't clump. The product I'm using is "starter layer crumbles" The STARTER refers to the fact that they are for baby chickens, ducks, etc. A lot of people just use regular chicken layer crumbles. These are not quite as finely ground, and therefore don't clump as well as starter crumbles-- at least that's what I've read.

Dumor brand is one of the brands suggested to me, that is sold at TSC. Another is LAYENA brand, although any brand of starter crumble should work just fine. I want to point out again that you should not get MEDICATED crumbles. If they are medicated it should say so in big letters on the bag so it's not hard to tell them apart.

It was also suggested to add some baking soda to help with smell masking and to discourage kitty from eating it. I had to do this as Beans thought daddy had given her 2 giant bowls of kibble. She stopped snacking immediately.