Chicken broth vs chicken bone broth

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I may have found a canned food my cat can keep down.
Origen shredded duck and chicken
Duck,chicken liver,chicken heart,chicken bone broth,duck bone broth
Weruva is chicken,chicken broth
What's the difference?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't say for sure about those specific brands, terms tend to be used interchangeably, but normally chicken broth is made with meat and may or may not have bones. It's cooked for a few hours to boil the nutrient out of the meat and some of the nutrients from the bones if added. Whereas bone broth has more bones (and in some cases is just the bones with any meat scrap left after the meat has been removed) and is cooked for much longer (like 12 to 24 hours) to cook all the nutrients including the collagen inside the bones making it much more nutrient rich then plain chicken broth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't say for sure about those specific brands, terms tend to be used interchangeably, but normally chicken broth is made with meat and may or may not have bones. It's cooked for a few hours to boil the nutrient out of the meat and some of the nutrients from the bones if added. Whereas bone broth has more bones (and in some cases is just the bones with any meat scrap left after the meat has been removed) and is cooked for much longer (like 12 to 24 hours) to cook all the nutrients including the collagen inside the bones making it much more nutrient rich then plain chicken broth.
Makes since. Wish it wasn't so expensive then I would give it to my other cats

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Makes since. Wish it wasn't so expensive then I would give it to my other cats
Bone broth is very easy to make, could you make some and freeze it in portions and just give them a teaspoon or so on whatever food you're giving? I do this all the time. :)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
~ I steam chicken and give my cats the broth and fat with the meat. I have some too ... :petcat:
Best way to do it. :catrub:
I will put chicken legs/thighs in the crock pot and leave it there until the meat falls off, then split the meat between all of is, but the bones back in the pot and stew it for another day or so. Bone broth IMO is delicious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Bone broth is very easy to make, could you make some and freeze it in portions and just give them a teaspoon or so on whatever food you're giving? I do this all the time. :)
Making a whole chicken is too much for me. It can be bought. I will have to search just read your post. I will try that

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Making a whole chicken is too much for me. It can be bought. I will have to search just read your post. I will try that
I never buy a whole chicken, pieces work just fine!
I personally prefer beef bone broth and use any marrow bones the butcher has, but I have two cats that don't handle beef well so I tend to make it in very small batches.