Chicken Allergy: Canned Vs. Raw

coffeecat2420

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! Looking for a bit of advice or relevant experience, please.

When my cat came to me as a foster, I was told she is allergic to chicken; however, since I've been doing some research and working with her environmental allergies, I'm considering giving her a trial on raw chicken at some point. I'm thinking she may have reactions to other added ingredients rather than chicken ... but I'm still at Square One on this ... Chicken is most abundant and for sure would be a bit easier on the wallet, so I'm interested in this option if any of you have found your kitties were fine on the raw chicken rather than canned. Right now I'm paying attention to the guar gum, agar agar, carrageenan, added fish oil, etc. and trying to figure out if one of those may be an issue for her when feeding canned.

I'm going to pick up some raw frozen rabbit for her this weekend, but we're still trying to use up Red Barn lamb (agar agar, peas) and some 95% Dave's Beef (guar gum, flaxseed). She also eats AllProvide raw beef (trying to use this up as well). I have a couple cans of Nature's Variety LID Rabbit (peas, montmorillonite clay) to try, but I'll need to purchase more (not the least expensive, as you know) to test her on it for multiple weeks.

Sorry this post got long. Can anyone chime in as to whether your cat had reactions to canned chicken but is fine with raw? Thanks much for any input!
20170226_103020_resized.jpg

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We started our cat on raw chicken as a kitten. I didn't know any better, so I didn't vary the proteins enough. That may have contributed to a chicken allergy that was very severe at the time.

We eliminated all chicken for several months, then gradually reintroduced it as part of a rotation. He was fine with that for about two years. He recently developed chin acne, and our vet thought chicken may he a factor. We eliminated the chicken from his meals - he still gets the occasional wingtip as a treat - and took some additional precautions like changing his rubber placemat to cloth. The acne is gone, but I can't attribute that directly to eliminating chicken.

I would use trial and error if I were you.

I have read that the allergy is sometimes to what the chicken has been fed, so switching to organic chicken may help. The cost may become comparable to other proteins in that case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coffeecat2420

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We started our cat on raw chicken as a kitten. I didn't know any better, so I didn't vary the proteins enough. That may have contributed to a chicken allergy that was very severe at the time.

We eliminated all chicken for several months, then gradually reintroduced it as part of a rotation. He was fine with that for about two years. He recently developed chin acne, and our vet thought chicken may he a factor. We eliminated the chicken from his meals - he still gets the occasional wingtip as a treat - and took some additional precautions like changing his rubber placemat to cloth. The acne is gone, but I can't attribute that directly to eliminating chicken.

I would use trial and error if I were you.

I have read that the allergy is sometimes to what the chicken has been fed, so switching to organic chicken may help. The cost may become comparable to other proteins in that case.
Thank you for your reply! Excellent point about the cost becoming comparable with the quality of the chicken.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had a cat with food allergies (knock on wood), but agree that the quality of chicken "product" could be a factor.

Chicken meal, used in a lot of cat foods, is not a human-quality grade of chicken and AAFCO allows it to include 4-D meats. That doesn't mean that all chicken meal does include 4D meat, only that it can include really sub-standard chicken that did not pass USDA standards for various reasons. Also, even whole chicken pieces in cat food do not have to pass human-quality standards.

So, yes, quite a few people find that their cat can eat raw, fresh chicken after being diagnosed with a "chicken allergy".

Your instincts are correct too....her allergy could be to some synthetic vitamin/mineral additive or other ingredient in the food.

coffeecat2420

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
T
I haven't had a cat with food allergies (knock on wood), but agree that the quality of chicken "product" could be a factor.

Chicken meal, used in a lot of cat foods, is not a human-quality grade of chicken and AAFCO allows it to include 4-D meats. That doesn't mean that all chicken meal does include 4D meat, only that it can include really sub-standard chicken that did not pass USDA standards for various reasons. Also, even whole chicken pieces in cat food do not have to pass human-quality standards.

So, yes, quite a few people find that their cat can eat raw, fresh chicken after being diagnosed with a "chicken allergy".

Your instincts are correct too....her allergy could be to some synthetic vitamin/mineral additive or other ingredient in the food.
Thanks for your input!

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 15 year old started having symptoms of food allergies too. We've discovered she's at least sensitive to chicken, and has a flare up regardless if it's dry, wet, or raw :( So it's or completely for us.

coffeecat2420

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 15 year old started having symptoms of food allergies too. We've discovered she's at least sensitive to chicken, and has a flare up regardless if it's dry, wet, or raw :( So it's or completely for us.
I'm sorry you and your cat have to deal with it. It can be quite the process trying to get everything straightened out!

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind that chickens are corn fed, even "organic" chicken, although they would have a better diet than chickens eating feed grade food, there would still be corn in the diet which would be a factor if the cat is allergic to corn.

OP: Some cats / dogs do fine on raw chicken vs canned chicken, if they have shown a sensitivity to chicken, however, there are others who can't eat any kind of chicken - even if it's organic raw, with no flavor enhancers, etc. It really depends on the animal's immune system.

coffeecat2420

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind that chickens are corn fed, even "organic" chicken, although they would have a better diet than chickens eating feed grade food, there would still be corn in the diet which would be a factor if the cat is allergic to corn.

OP: Some cats / dogs do fine on raw chicken vs canned chicken, if they have shown a sensitivity to chicken, however, there are others who can't eat any kind of chicken - even if it's organic raw, with no flavor enhancers, etc. It really depends on the animal's immune system.
Thank you.