Chewy Website Is Not All It's Cut Out To Be!

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only good things to say about Chewy. Very dependable and good prices when compared to my grocery store.
I agree that Chewy is dependable, has speedy delivery service and very good prices. That's why I wish they would fix the one thing that is now preventing me from purchasing canned food from them. I'll still continue to order litter, pouch food and treats from Chewy.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, Chewy always puts cardboard covers on the canned food for me, and packs tightly so they don't rattle around. Amazon though. . .nope. Not even air pillows most of the time, and often the box is too big so the cases bang around a lot. But they usually aren't too badly dented so I just deal with it.
I can't think of a time any canned food I've ordered from Chewy has arrived in a complete cardboard box inside the delivery box. I'm glad you've had a good experience with the canned food being boxed. I've received the canned food the past couple of years in the manufacturer, lower case only box, but that's it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought a case of NV from Chewy just as quarantine started. The cans were in the NV cardboard tray and wrapped in plastic. The case was packed in a Chewy box just big enough for it. None of the cans were dented upon arrival. I probably won't buy canned food again from Chewy, though. Canned is just for Emma's bedtime snack and a whole case of 24 will last nearly a year.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am new to buying stuff from Chewy and it wasn't really until last week that I found a good feeding schedule for Boone and Gracie. I need to figure out the right auto-ship date intervals. I keep getting emails saying "your order is about to be shipped." and asking if I want to make changes. I never need the item so I always skip the shipment. I think I've got the wet food order figured out because I use two cans per day and they come in 24 packs so I set up the auto-ship for every two weeks as I had some on hand prior. The dry food is harder because they are so slow to get through a bag. Maybe I will set it for once a month and see where it's at when I get the email from Chewy saying it's about to be shipped.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't think of a time any canned food I've ordered from Chewy has arrived in a complete cardboard box inside the delivery box.
Not really a complete cardboard box inside the delivery box, but a cardboard slip cover. . .it looks like a bottom tray but is slightly deeper. It just gives another layer of dent protection.

I bet if you called or emailed them and asked to put a note on your account to always use cardboard covers, they'd do it. Their customer service is excellent.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really a complete cardboard box inside the delivery box, but a cardboard slip cover. . .it looks like a bottom tray but is slightly deeper. It just gives another layer of dent protection.

I bet if you called or emailed them and asked to put a note on your account to always use cardboard covers, they'd do it. Their customer service is excellent.
Mine also come with that cardboard cover.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
The issue seems to be with third party sellers on Amazon, not products that Amazon sells directly. I bought CET poultry flavored toothpaste once from a third party seller. The item that I received had the nearly the identical tube and box as the nearly empty CET tube I had. I think the only difference was the box around the word "poultry flavored" was a slightly different shade. The toothpaste inside the new tube was dark brown, not putty colored, and it smelled weird. Leroy would not go near it. It was well past the Amazon return date when I opened the tube so I couldn't get a refund. I just tossed the tube but in hindsight I should have contacted CET and have them check the lot number to see if what I received was a real product or a fake one.
How do you know if you're buying from Amazon directly or third party? I feel so uneducated here!

Thank you for answering <3 I love the fast shipping from amazon but have been hesitant

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cricket will only eat Weruva Cats in the Kitchen pouches. I've checked the local stores that carry it and the price is comparable with what Chewy charges, plus I get a little discount with auto ship. Customer service has always been fantastic, and it's super convenient to not have to run all over the city looking the few flavors miss picky pants will eat.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you know if you're buying from Amazon directly or third party? I feel so uneducated here!

Thank you for answering <3 I love the fast shipping from amazon but have been hesitant
If think if it says 'fulfilled by Amazon" its not third party?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Check the product description. If it says "sold by" [seller's name], then it's a third party seller. If it says "sold by" or "fulfilled by" Amazon, then it's Amazon who is selling and shipping the product to customers. Sometimes it will say "sold by [seller] and fulfilled by Amazon". Those products might still be questionable so check the seller's reviews before buying.

Here's an example of the same product. The product below is sold and shipped by Amazon. See the red circle I added:

test.jpg

The exact same product is sold by a third party seller. See red circle:

test1.jpg

Third party sellers are allowed to set their own price and change it whenever they feel like it hence the doubled cost of the product sold by this third party seller.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
If think if it says 'fulfilled by Amazon" its not third party?
Check the product description. If it says "sold by" [seller's name], then it's a third party seller. If it says "sold by" or "fulfilled by" Amazon, then it's Amazon who is selling and shipping the product to customers. Sometimes it will say "sold by [seller] and fulfilled by Amazon". Those products might still be questionable so check the seller's reviews before buying.

Here's an example of the same product. The product below is sold and shipped by Amazon. See the red circle I added:

View attachment 347030

The exact same product is sold by a third party seller. See red circle:

View attachment 347031

Third party sellers are allowed to set their own price and change it whenever they feel like it hence the doubled cost of the product sold by this third party seller.
Thanks much!!! I feel better about ordering from Amazon now. I love chewy for toys and stuff but the 2 day shipping you just can't beat

splasha1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let me ask you, since you use Amazon -- have you had any issues receiving knock off products? I keep hearing rumors/concerns that people aren't getting the actual product.

I ordered my tiki cat stuff from Amazon and I just ordered my next batch from Chewy. So I'm going to compare the cans once they get here, but I was curious what you experience has been
Only issue I've suspected being "knock offs" were some small batteries one time. After testing & finding their voltage low, upon receipt I did some internet searching and found several articles where despite some batteries packaged in identical looking packs with familiar US names, not all of them are. I so look forward to a day when America can be totally "weaned off" Chinese imports or in the least, their Communist Government forced into a major crack down on all of their illegal practices that are bad for us and our pets. Be interesting to hear if the cans from both are the same. Since neither company actually makes the food they may in fact come from the same source.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Adding that some third party sellers may be based in the US or wherever but the product you are buying may be shipped from another country. Basically you're paying the third party seller to buy the product on your behalf from who knows where and having that product shipped directly to you. Items sold by a US third party sellers but shipped from China are extremely common. I had two Amazon purchased items sent from China before. One item took over 2 months to arrive and the other one never did. I was able to get a full refund.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I've had that happen too, so now I try to only get stuff "shipped from Amazon" even if it's from a 3rd-party seller. Very annoying to have something unexpectedly take weeks/months to show up.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks but for all the times I've contacted Chewy regarding dented cans - and they do supposedly have a note on file to add a cardboard cover, nothing, nada - a portion of cans arrive dented, I give up with them as far as canned. I just received an order for pouch food, less choices but never any issues.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What brands are you buying L lisamarie12 ? Maybe Chewy gets dented cans from the pet food manufacturer and just ships them to customers? It's hard to tell if a dented can is in the middle of a case or hidden in a box. I've only ordered the one case of NV and it arrived in it's own box with no packaging fillers and none of the cans were dented.

PaperCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use chewy about every month. Where I live prices are very expensive so buying in stores cost me more, theres also brands on Chewy i cant find in stores my Sunny loves. I feel that the only places that are cheaper are Walmart and discount stores but the product is going to be unhealthy. Chewy has a lot of higher end brands as well as the commercials like pet stores, also if you price match at petsmart they willl sell you the price online if cheaper.

Dana_And_Monster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think chewy is great, I've had broken stuff and told them, they did not even ask for pictures and did not hesitate to apologize and send new ones free of charge.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got a shipment the other day of canned cat food. Small box with cardboard inside over the tops of the can that was inside a larger box filled with brown paper so the smaller box wouldn't move around. I guess it depends on what type of food you get as to how they pack it. I buy Boone and Gracie the 3oz cans of Blue Buffalo Kitten food.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What brands are you buying L lisamarie12 ? Maybe Chewy gets dented cans from the pet food manufacturer and just ships them to customers? It's hard to tell if a dented can is in the middle of a case or hidden in a box. I've only ordered the one case of NV and it arrived in it's own box with no packaging fillers and none of the cans were dented.
Weruva previously and most recently Chewy's own brand American Journey, first time trying it out.