Chewy Website Is Not All It's Cut Out To Be!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also love Chewy. When my old cat was on prescription food they always arrived within 2 days or so after ordering. When she passed they refunded me on the last box and send flowers and a hand written card. I thought that was nice from such a huge company. Also I buy Dr Elsey's cat food on there so 1) they don't ONLY have grocery store crap. There is a ton of great food on there. Lots of raw food for cats like Primal and Stella and Chewy too. 2) I pay $16.21 shipped for the bag of Dr Elseys from Chewy, the same one from Dr Elsey's website was $32.46 shipped.

2 cat house

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chewy is amazing. They don't over charge for their cat food and in most cases the price is equal or lower than most competitors. The premium cat food is expensive but not more expensive than at other stores. They also stand behind their products and have their own brands which have become quite reputable. Their cat trees, for example, under the brand Frisco are awesome! We have had one for almost a year and with 4 cats constantly beating it up, it still looks practically brand new including the scratching posts on it. Frisco also has a line of cat litter which is actually really good stuff. The unscented clumping stuff is $13 for a 35 pound bag. It does not track too bad and it keeps odor down to a minimal. I add in some baking soda as an added layer of protection against odors.

Then Chewy has their customer service and FREE shipping over $49. Every single time I have called them they have refunded me for my purchase without asking many questions. Sometimes they don't even want the food back, they ask me to donate it. Having 4 cats the issue of "bad food" (in their opinion) happens more often than I would like. Chewy has always supported me in returning or donating my unwanted food and refunding my card. I have even gotten into conversations about my cats with Chewy customer service members before! Most of them have pets and similar experiences to relate to.

Another plus is the shipping speed. Most of the time I get my products 1-2 days after I order them. So yes, is some stuff expensive on Chewy? Of course. But this is not necessarily Chewy's pricing guidelines but rather the cat food companies.
I agree. I ordered some dry food, treats a toy, and some cat litter. The litter was half the price I pay for the same amount at Walmart and was delivered to my door in 2 days. I was impressed.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get cat and dog canned food from Chewy since nowhere around here sells food by the case and I like having a lot of it on hand at a time. It is so much cheaper than anywhere near where I live, which may just speak to prices of food in the Seattle area. They also have amazing customer service and even since the transition they will replace things with no questions asked. I purchase a mix of high end and low end foods for budget reasons. I usually get: Dave's canned food, Victor canned food (for dog), Fancy Feast, Purina pro plan (dog food), and Nature's Variety Instinct dry cat food. I can't get all these brands around here for cheaper or on Amazon.

In general Amazon is really going downhill and hasn't been able to provide me with basically anything in two days even though I'm a prime member. Many of the items are counterfeit and I just don't trust them at this point.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I get cat and dog canned food from Chewy since nowhere around here sells food by the case and I like having a lot of it on hand at a time. It is so much cheaper than anywhere near where I live, which may just speak to prices of food in the Seattle area. They also have amazing customer service and even since the transition they will replace things with no questions asked. I purchase a mix of high end and low end foods for budget reasons. I usually get: Dave's canned food, Victor canned food (for dog), Fancy Feast, Purina pro plan (dog food), and Nature's Variety Instinct dry cat food. I can't get all these brands around here for cheaper or on Amazon.

In general Amazon is really going downhill and hasn't been able to provide me with basically anything in two days even though I'm a prime member. Many of the items are counterfeit and I just don't trust them at this point.
The "third-party" situation on Amazon opens one up to all kinds of situations that Amazon itself would not allow. When I have to order from a third party, I generally prefer that fulfillment be done by Amazon. Mind you, I have never ordered cat food through Amazon — this is just a general rule of thumb for the many other kinds of products I order through them.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I appreciate Chewy's speedy delivery, I'm not ordering any more canned food items from them. Totally fed up with receiving dented cans, intermittently for at least the last two years.

No doubt it is the shipping company (Fed Ex), moving, throwing boxes around -- and I completely appreciate and am thankful for the hard work and risk that the workers are going through, however, Chewy needs to package the canned food better, rather than just placing it unprotected in the delivery box and calling it a day.

For awhile I was only ordering pouch food from Chewy but I recently decided to take the risk and order a case of 24 3 oz cans -- 9 cans arrived dented, 4 deeply dented, unsafe. I've contacted the company numerous times over the past two years about this issue, written emails, etc... it falls on deaf ears. Yes, Chewy will refund $ for the damaged cans but I really don't want a refund - I need the food and I don't understand why a problem that is such a no brainer to fix, remains unresolved.
Plastic bubble wrap isn't environmentally sustainable; cardboard box covers / smaller boxes within the delivery box, would be the lesser of evils. I usually get a box of litter delivered so maybe the packers think the litter will protect the cases but it never does.

Anyway -- no more canned food from Chewy, I will have to pick up canned food in person at an in-store retailer or have the retailer deliver it to me, always more money but compared to dented cans from Chewy, it's more cost effective and less hassle to get cans elsewhere.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I appreciate Chewy's speedy delivery, I'm not ordering any more canned food items from them. Totally fed up with receiving dented cans, intermittently for at least the last two years.

No doubt it is the shipping company (Fed Ex), moving, throwing boxes around -- and I completely appreciate and am thankful for the hard work and risk that the workers are going through, however, Chewy needs to package the canned food better, rather than just placing it unprotected in the delivery box and calling it a day.

For awhile I was only ordering pouch food from Chewy but I recently decided to take the risk and order a case of 24 3 oz cans -- 9 cans arrived dented, 4 deeply dented, unsafe. I've contacted the company numerous times over the past two years about this issue, written emails, etc... it falls on deaf ears. Yes, Chewy will refund $ for the damaged cans but I really don't want a refund - I need the food and I don't understand why a problem that is such a no brainer to fix, remains unresolved.
Plastic bubble wrap isn't environmentally sustainable; cardboard box covers / smaller boxes within the delivery box, would be the lesser of evils. I usually get a box of litter delivered so maybe the packers think the litter will protect the cases but it never does.

Anyway -- no more canned food from Chewy, I will have to pick up canned food in person at an in-store retailer or have the retailer deliver it to me, always more money but compared to dented cans from Chewy, it's more cost effective and less hassle to get cans elsewhere.
Just curious why dented cans is unsafe. Never heard that before.

splasha1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I've been using Amazon for all pet supplies for many years. Amazon Prime is especially great as shipping is Free and usually only 1-2 days and unless a return is due to a buyer's mistake; they too are free. Seems like every week more and more items are covered under their Prime membership and you can easily click the search box to only allow Prime items to show up. You might also check eBay.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, Chewy always puts cardboard covers on the canned food for me, and packs tightly so they don't rattle around. Amazon though. . .nope. Not even air pillows most of the time, and often the box is too big so the cases bang around a lot. But they usually aren't too badly dented so I just deal with it.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on how bad the dent but they can leak, the contents no longer in a vacuum, and therefore maybe spoiled.
Yep, understand cracked ones are bad. Guess I misunderstood deeply dented to not mean to the point where it cracks open. I have always bought variety packs of wet food, not individual ones and have never had an issue. In fact, they put more packing in than seems necessary. Big box full of puffed air or brown paper for small boxes of food.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been using Amazon for all pet supplies for many years. Amazon Prime is especially great as shipping is Free and usually only 1-2 days and unless a return is due to a buyer's mistake; they too are free. Seems like every week more and more items are covered under their Prime membership and you can easily click the search box to only allow Prime items to show up. You might also check eBay.
I agree about Prime. I do too and use subscribe and save too. I get the Dr Elsey's dry from them. Cheaper than Chewy and no minimum order for free shipping. Not that I don't love Chewy. I do. I just use Amazon S&S way more often.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazon is a monster.

As long as the pricing is at least close, I'll try to order from someone else, ANYONE ELSE if I can.

I get my kitty flea killer from my local vet, instead of the web, for 1/5 the price.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Let me ask you, since you use Amazon -- have you had any issues receiving knock off products? I keep hearing rumors/concerns that people aren't getting the actual product.

I ordered my tiki cat stuff from Amazon and I just ordered my next batch from Chewy. So I'm going to compare the cans once they get here, but I was curious what you experience has been

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Let me ask you, since you use Amazon -- have you had any issues receiving knock off products? I keep hearing rumors/concerns that people aren't getting the actual product.
The issue seems to be with third party sellers on Amazon, not products that Amazon sells directly. I bought CET poultry flavored toothpaste once from a third party seller. The item that I received had the nearly the identical tube and box as the nearly empty CET tube I had. I think the only difference was the box around the word "poultry flavored" was a slightly different shade. The toothpaste inside the new tube was dark brown, not putty colored, and it smelled weird. Leroy would not go near it. It was well past the Amazon return date when I opened the tube so I couldn't get a refund. I just tossed the tube but in hindsight I should have contacted CET and have them check the lot number to see if what I received was a real product or a fake one.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'm glad Amazon works out for you. I've used it off and on but prefer to avoid the site.