Chewy vs Going And Buying Food....?

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I get Sassy's wet food from Chewy as the Tiki Cat After Dark variety packs are tough to find locally. She's picky about dry food, though, and I usually buy her dry food and other things at local shops - even if it's a few dollars more expensive I prefer to support local/small business. :)

MindyStClairesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
even if it's a few dollars more expensive I prefer to support local/small business. :)
Quite a fair point, yes. The shop that is on the corner is a massive chain -- PetFoodExpress -- and it is somehow connected to Amazon (you can order same-day delivery from the nearby PetFoodExpress via Amazon.com -- I guess like Whole Foods or something). There *are* locally owned pet food shops in San Francisco, and I do have a car (which is reasonably rare for the City), but I don't know the City well. But you have inspired me to use a "local pet shop" as one of my scavenger hunt goals (I have to give myself little tasks at the weekend to force myself out as I don't really know anyone). But there are so many offers of delivery (even from the local shops -- SF is only 7 square miles), I can imagine I would accept. The logistics of living here (traffic, basically) makes going out such a grind that, since I can walk to work, I only go out for square dancing once a week and little scavenger hunts on the weekend.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aaaaannnnd . . . Amazon Subscribe & Save was JUST out of Dr. Elsey's Chicken (6#) the other day. Hopefully it corrects itself, but I have been working in a bit of the Dr. E's rabbit just in case we can't get it in a hurry. If you can't find the food you need locally, I would strongly suggest your cats get willing to eat *something else* for a day or two until you can source the item that Amazon may be out of. Ask me how I found this out. ;)

Yeah. The Dr. Elsey's dry goes out of stock with Amazon frequently. I have had to get the 2 pound bag sometimes.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I order off of chewy almost every month it just depends on what my cats need for the month etc

I order off of These sites on and off depending on the month
But for the month of December I'm going to need to order off of all of them
Petco
Chewy
Pet supplies plus
1800petmeds
And I have a scheduled ride once a month that is set up to get cat litter at tractor supply

Due to I have hardly no transportation I heavily rely on online shopping

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I only use Chewy when I need bulk supply and it's the cheapest available. I live near Petco, Petsmart and Pet supply plus (best one), Kraisers, boutique pet shops... Between those I can find all I need with nice local discounts. I live in a small apartment so can't afford to stash a ton of cans at once, so it's nice to buy in store because I can pick out specific quantities.

catcat339

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Chewy secures their canned food very well. When I bought from Petco they don't put enough padding material so they often come heavily dented; but Petco is good with refunds or replacements when that happens.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I only use Chewy when I need bulk supply and it's the cheapest available. I live near Petco, Petsmart and Pet supply plus (best one), Kraisers, boutique pet shops... Between those I can find all I need with nice local discounts. I live in a small apartment so can't afford to stash a ton of cans at once, so it's nice to buy in store because I can pick out specific quantities.
Diddo! You must live next door

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did my first Chewy food order to see how it goes. Though generally I like going in and buying a variety. Some variety packs come with seafood flavors, which generally upset Delilah's tummy or pate (thankfully new kitty will eat pate - Delilah won't touch it). By going into the store I can pick and choose. For example, Fancy Feast Medleys has a "chicken" package, but it doesn't have the turkey flavors. If I buy the "primavera medley", it has the turkey as well as fish variety in the pack.

I also don't like to make huge food purchases at a time - her crankiness just went off her previous food (mostly because of supply line issues limiting the variety options and she's been stuck with just the same 2 flavors for a month). I'm stuck with 2 boxes of Sheba, which I can either put somewhere for emergencies or take back to Walmart and exchange for Fancy Feast.