Chewy vs amazon

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My case of canned cat food from Amazon came smashed. It was a huge mess. I might give them one more try sometime. That has never happened with Chewy though.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to prefer buying from a place/website that specializes in what I am looking for. Chewy for pet items always. Like others have said, you really have to check Amazon to make sure you aren't getting something from China that won't arrive for months.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We buy from Chewy, because they have the items we want and, for things like litter, we have a regular schedule for reorder. Too, whenever there is a problem- which isn't very often- they take care of it promptly. There was a small tear in a bag of litter, and maybe a pound had leaked out. Michele called them, and the next day we received a replacement, and they told us to keep or donate the damaged bag. Also, every year our cats get birthday cards around their Gotcha day, and we got a condolence card when Burdock passed. That is what you call customer relations

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Prime, but I don't use Amazon for cat food because I don't trust it not to be fake products. Chewy's customer service is awesome. The few problems I've had they've either replaced or refunded and have never asked me to return anything. Once they mistakenly sent me some huge bags of dog food (I don't have dogs), and they sent me the stuff I did order and told me to donate the dog food. When I was having trouble getting Austin's prescription food (Royal Canin SO morsels in gravy), I was able to get it at Chewy.

I also have an autoship from Petco, because one of the few wet foods Cricket will eat is Soulistic Mackerel and Tuna.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a few of the Birthday and Christmas cards from Chewy on the dry erase board that sits on Mooch's chair. I still haven't had it in me to take Noodles' profile off there so it's always addressed to them both.

I accidentally got some of those tubes of lickable cat treats in one order. They let me keep those too. :yummy:

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Chewy cat food deliveries have come damaged so many times by FedEx so unless it’s some amazing deal, I won’t go for it. I even received a bag of dry food torn open. They pack everything to the brim without bubble wrap for protection. The claim from Chewy is that they pack as many things as possible to maintain a low carbon footprint. Of course, they totally miss the point when something gets damaged and then they have to send a replacement. About the only thing I’ll order now is the Frisco brand litter since it works well and it’s a great price.

Amazon deliveries always come in perfect shape for the most part, even the canned food which is often sent through USPS rather than Amazon delivery. I also often get 25% off subscribe deals for Fancy Feast which helps.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Many people are also trying to avoid Amazon. They don't pay proper business taxes in Canada and treat their workers awfully. (Still, it's unavoidable sometimes!)

I'm in Canada too. I usually do same-day shipping from PetSmart, or shipping from Ren's. Amazon is super expensive for pet items.

There is bestcat.ca petonly.ca and myvetstore.ca
IndyJones IndyJones

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Free cat toy :biggrin: Many cats love the brown Kraft shipping paper stuff. Chewy puts it in their boxes too. I save the sheet sometimes for the cats.
Hah! I do too! Right now I have a square of it on the living room floor and both cats like to nap on it. It’s also the place where I dole out the catnip.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Chewy. I started using them regularly when the lockdown started and couldn't get the Sheba pate I needed from the grocery store. Both will throw up anything I feed them first thing in the morning except Sheba pate, so I have to have it. Chewy had the pate much to my relief. I'm now on Autoship and I love it. Only once has my order come in less than three days.

I've never had reason to contact them with a complaint, so it's very nice to hear all the good things you have to say about their customer support. My only contacts are birthday cards they send for each of my cats.

BTW, two years later, the grocery store still doesn't have Sheba.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My case of canned cat food from Amazon came smashed. It was a huge mess. I might give them one more try sometime. That has never happened with Chewy though.
Get in touch with customer service. Let them know it was damaged. They will likely send a replacement. That's what they did for me once. You can also go into your orders and start a return. Choose the option that the box/item was damaged.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too have heard many stories about the cards and flowers from Chewy when a pet dies. It also seems to be common practice for them to give a refund and then ask people to donate the unused item to a shelter. I used to use them then my cat went on a prescription food and I got auto ship from the same company that the vet used. When I had her euthanized the vet's office took care of stopping the auto ship and refunded me for the food that I returned to the vet's office. There was no card from that company.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get in touch with customer service. Let them know it was damaged.
I did, they refunded me. But I'm hesitant to order again because of the huge mess we had to clean up from the busted cans. I might give them one more chance though. It could have been the delivery people that did it, but I tend to think it was lousy packaging.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I too have heard many stories about the cards and flowers from Chewy when a pet dies. It also seems to be common practice for them to give a refund and then ask people to donate the unused item to a shelter. I used to use them then my cat went on a prescription food and I got auto ship from the same company that the vet used. When I had her euthanized the vet's office took care of stopping the auto ship and refunded me for the food that I returned to the vet's office. There was no card from that company.
When Hector died at home (not euthanized) and I brought her to be cremated my vet gave me a clay paw print which I keep in her shadow box memorial alongside her collar and photo.

I personally don't like auto ship. I end up with way too much stuff if I use it. Kabby won't eat stale food, he crunches it and spits it back out.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love Chewy. We had an autoship for a dog that passed and got a nice flower delivery with a very sweet card. A few months ago I got a card from them apologizing that they weren't carrying the cat litter I often buy with handles, so now the boxes have handles and they gave me a coupon to use. It's not their litter, they didn't make that choice, but it got fixed and they sent me a discount too - that's awesome. I also reviewed a dog bed once, I gave it three stars because the colors ran a bit when I washed it, and they refunded me completely.

I usually get dog food from them, but the brand I buy for my pup is completely out of stock on their website. It comes back for just a flash and then is out again. I ended up having to go in person to Petsmart because the food I had for him he wasn't going to eat (I tried a new flavor, my bad) and the bags on the shelf of Petsmart were actually a few dollars cheaper than even the Petsmart website said they were. And I had a 20% off coupon, so I left pretty satisfied.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
OH BOY! OH BOY A BOX!

I just like the wording and shipping trash. Also chewy has great customer service and you can give to shelters

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also chewy has great customer service and you can give to shelters
:yeah:

Many shelters and rescues have a wish list and a list of adoptable animals on Chewy. See if your local shelter or rescue is listed: Find Local Animal Shelters & Rescues | Chewy.com

Just add a wish list item to your cart, check out, and pay. I believe Chewy will ship that item directly to the shelter or rescue.

Shelters and rescues may have a wish list on Amazon as well. Ask your local shelter or rescue if they do and get the link to the list or check their website for Amazon wish list link (probably on the same page for donations and the like). Amazon will ship the items directly to the shelter. Just watch out for third party sellers. I purchased a wish list item once from a third party seller in the US but the tracking info was coming from China with an expected delivery date of 2 months out. This was long before the pandemic. The seller was basically taking money from Amazon customers for items he / she did not actually have and then using that money to buy the actual item from another web site / company. After a week or so there was no further tracking info, just the same expected delivery date. The item was never received by the shelter. I complained to Amazon and got a refund. I also posted a negative review of the seller who then told me a sob story about how he / she needed the job really badly :rolleyes3:

BONUS: use Amazon Smile (web site or mobile app) instead of regular Amazon to make a donation to your shelter or rescue at no cost to you 👍 Your Amazon log in will work for Amazon Smile.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for telling us about Chewy's donation program, which I didn't know about. I placed an order for one of our two shelters and will send an order to the other one in the future. I got Lily from one and Mingo from the other. This is tax deductible.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise