Chewy vs amazon

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is chewy so often referred to on this site rather than amazon? Chewy doesn't have shipping outside the states for one thing while amazon ships international. It just kind of bugs me a bit I guess when someone posts a product that I can't even get shipped to my location.

Why is chewy so often referred to on this site I guess is my big question.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think a lot of it is habit. I believe Chewy is the only auto-ship company that is just for pets of all types. There used to be one called Dr Foster and Smith but they went out of business as a separate company many years ago. They are now part of Petco and some of their products are available at Petco. Chewy has some foods that aren't available on Amazon along with having the ones that are available in the U.S. market on Amazon. I don't know where you live but I had an IBD cat at one time and there was a much better selection of novel protein foods available in Europe that aren't available in the U.S. Chewy also has a pharmacy which is a nice convenience when someone has a pet on medication permanently. You can set it up on auto ship and under normal circumstances don't have to think about it because it will always be there.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's also the issue of third party sellers from all over the world on just Amazon's US site. Unless you check out the seller profile and ratings and reviews, you might end up with a fake product shipped from another part of the world and it takes well over a month to arrive. You can filter your search by seller. Choose the "Sold by Amazon.com" option. That narrows down the product options but at least you know the product is coming directly from Amazon and not a third party seller.

Chewy is a pet oriented supply web site with Amazon is basically a giant warehouse selling everything under the sun. Customer service with Chewy is probably better than Amazon. I've never had to deal with customer service with either company but from posts here on TCS, Chewy's customer service is great and sometimes they'll send a condolence gift if you have to cancel an order because your pet unexpectedly passed. Shipped packages are way better with Chewy IMO. I've gotten items that were damaged in transit because some Amazon employee stuck it in a thin plastic non-bubble envelope instead of in a box. I have yet to receive a damaged item from Chewy and even if I did, Chewy would replace it.

So lots of pros and cons to buying from either web site. If Chewy is not an option for you and neither is shopping for needed supplies locally, then Amazon is the next best thing if you can avoid third party sellers. There are other pet supply web sites out there depending on what you are looking for. OnlyNaturalPet.com is one I can think of. EntirelyPets.com is another.ZooPlus is the one big European pet supply web site I know of.

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to say.. I have used both Chewy and Amazon for my pets. The one advantage Amazon has is .. faster delivery . I'm a prime member ,and stuff gets her FAST . Chewy is usually ok with food, but anything non food can take MUCH LONGER. I ordered an orthopedic bed for one cat I had. it took weeks to arrive. she passed away before we got it. I asked to return it. To their credit, Chewy was very NICE .. refunded my money and told me to donate it to a rescue or shelter. , which I did. ... I guess depending on where you live and what you need ... dictates which is best there.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Chewy because the people they ship with deliver my packages where I have requested. Amazon deliveries are hit or miss. No more carrying 40 LB packages of cat litter 30 feet to where I originally requested they be delivered!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in Canada and chewy doesn't ship here. I have prime as well and get super fast shipping from amazon. I shop at petvalu usually but there's the odd thing they don't carry.

I only had one issue with Amazon where a cleaner(?) Of some kind got spilt on my stuff, it smelt and looked like blue dawn dishsoap. I just rinsed it off in the sink and it was fine.

Chewy sounds like an ok company but I really wish they would expand their shipping range.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
From my opinion, I think Chewy is awesome! I really do. They have great customer service.
When Artie Passed, I had to end all his repeat deliveries. I got a sympathy card from them.

This week, I posted a negative review on their website. I had purchase the product at a pet store. I wanted to tell people how the smell could cause an allergic reaction to their pet, and how upset I was about it. I got a couple of emails from Chewy. They searched my account, trying to find my purchase of that product; but could not. They wanted to refund me the money from it.. They even called me on the phone!!! I did tell them about Geoffrey and his SCL and current bronchitis.. I had a bad day and had to vent.
Yesterday, I received a card from Chewy, from the person I spoke to.. expressing how sorry and touched he was by hearing about Geoffrey's problems..
You do not get that level of caring from anywhere else....

I love Chewy!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Chewy because the people they ship with deliver my packages where I have requested. Amazon deliveries are hit or miss. No more carrying 40 LB packages of cat litter 30 feet to where I originally requested they be delivered!
I like that Chewy ships fed ex. It’s really fast and fed ex has an excellent tracking system with email notifications.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Chewy better. They always drop the products off at my front door. Amazon delivery drivers are lazy IMO. I always have to go looking as to where they have left my order.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd second both the fake product issue with Amazln and customer service with Chewy. Chewy has always taken care of any shipping issues or product issues. Everything from wrong thing shipped, wrong quantity, damaged in shipping or my cats just didn't like the product were taken care of quickly.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like Chewy better. They always drop the products off at my front door. Amazon delivery drivers are lazy IMO. I always have to go looking as to where they have left my order.

Chewy packages are delivered by UPS not by Chewy employees. UPS is generally good about not damaging packages or leaving packages in a mystery location.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
As much as I want to like chewy I really can't even use them. They don't ship to Canada where I live. Seems kind of silly that they don't.

For prescription diets I use myvetstore.ca only complaint I have about them is they use too much packaging paper. Even for something like a bag of dry food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't use Chewy because I cannot buy cat food in 'bulk' and that is the only way they sell it, so I have to rely on local pet stores that allow me to buy by the can. For non-food items, I generally use Amazon and have never had an issue with returns. I've also never had an issue with deliveries or damaged packages. Amazon has always been responsive on the very few occasions when I did have an issue.

I do, however, as LTS3 LTS3 suggested, try to always buy items listed as "Sold by Amazon.com" or if I need to use another seller, I check their profile, ratings, and reviews. The one time I didn't - a long time ago - and had an issue with an item I got, I reported the seller to Amazon and they were removed from their site.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer Chewy. I started using them for all pet items when Covid made it impossible to find the products I needed. Once or twice I had a damaged item due to the UPS driver (I saw him just throw the package on the ground). Chewys customer service refunded or replaced (my choice) the items. One time when I was making an expensive purchase of a new gerbil cage I called to see if they had any coupons they were going to email soon. They didn’t but the rep gave me a 20% discount.
This winter when I lost my 2 senior (18&17) kitties. They sent me a sympathy card and a small bouquet of flowers.

I have ordered hermit crab food once from Amazon and it wasn’t sealed and smelled of mildew. Amazon told me I’d have to return the bad food before issuing a refund.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My chewy stuff comes FedEx so it depends where in the US you live. I have several auto-ships with them for various things including Mooch’s meds and my mom’s cat’s prescription food. (She doesn’t like shopping online.) Her supplement was $40 at the vet and $25 in Chewy years ago when I started giving it. I used to get my stuff in 2 days; but lately it’s more close to a week. I’m ok with that. The one time I had a damaged product they were amazing about making it right.

I do order those things on Amazon occasionally if i need it quickly and they have a good price. Amazon’s issues with 3rd party sellers is a detractor there. I was looking for can covers like my mother has and they had a bunch of people selling them under different brand names with exactly the same picture. I shop Amazon a lot; but for some stuff its risky. Returns are fairly easy though.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use and like both but use Amazon more because I use subscribe and save and can add things other than cat stuff. Chewy is second to none in the customer service department. They are fantastic. Shipping from Chewy (at least for me in Florida) is super fast. They are Florida based so I always get my stuff in 2 days or less.

Chewy will not expand their delivery area out of the US unless they think it would be worth their while. If you are in Canada, the UK, wherever, contact them and tell them you'd like to order from them if they delivered to your area. I was chatting with a rep about an order once and I mentioned that Canadians would love to be able to shop with them and that's what she told me. Call them, email them, do an online chat with them but get in touch. If enough people do, it will get their attention.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
We don't have it in Australia, of course. And I don't use Amazon. I buy from the smaller companies; I feel if we don't support them directly the whole world is going to end up with just one goods provider. :(