Chewy Sold Out To Petsmart - No Longer Guarantees Fresh Food.

remmiebrandt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Found this post on another website and it explains a lot to me too. So aggravated. You find something good - then the people just sellout to junk retailers who don't care about anything besides making money.

Chewy is no longer Chewy.
Sold out to Petsmart.That explains why its been going downhill lately.
Prices drastically increased.
Shipping times from overnight to a week.
Guarantee went from freshness 1 year from the best buy date to only 3 months of the best buy date which to me is stale food with no nutritional value.
Inventory selection limited.
Returns are problematic now.
Coupons take weeks to get processed and now they claim they never got them.
No reason to shop at Chewy anymore - its Petsmart.
Another great business gone to the dogs - literally.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know they sold to petsmart. But honestly i have not seen any of the issues you are stating. I order from them several times a month, and never have a problem. I have seen no difference in service, price, or products over the last few months. They have lost a few brands, but added others. So im not seeing a problem? :dunno:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From what I understand they (PetSmart) left chewy's management in place. I've hardly ever heard of that happening, (seems like these buyouts and acquisitions pretty much gut the purchased company of all the previous people) but maybe in this case they left some of the original company's people?

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My last Chewy order was delivered in less than 24 hours despite my having to call customer service and change some shipping information (my error not theirs,) and I haven't seen a price increase or major stock availability changes with anything I buy.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My last Chewy order was delivered in less than 24 hours despite my having to call customer service and change some shipping information (my error not theirs,) and I haven't seen a price increase or major stock availability changes with anything I buy.
I have always gotten mine 2 day fed x , never overnight, but we are in the middle of no where :) so i imagine its how far you are from a distribution center.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only time I've had an issue receiving an order on schedule was the wonky shipping around Christmas weekend, so I got it on Tuesday. They've treated me fine. I sent in a high value coupon, and after three weeks they said they didn't get it, but the representative applied it to my account immediately. I haven't had them not come through when I count on them. I still order from them regularly. When an order can't get here in 1-2 days from FedEx, they use LaserShip in my region and it arrives on time. I'm sorry if anyone is having any difficulties. I also am a Chewy Influencer. I am not paid by Chewy, but I do test products for them and provide honest opinions. I wish I had known about your concerns a few days ago as I've been at the BlogPaws conference this week, and I could have taken them to Chewy directly.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have always gotten mine 2 day fed x , never overnight, but we are in the middle of no where :) so i imagine its how far you are from a distribution center.
I'm in the absolute middle of nowhere too, so it was probably just good luck. Normally it takes 2-3 days, which I don't have an issue with.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know they sold to petsmart. But honestly i have not seen any of the issues you are stating. I order from them several times a month, and never have a problem. I have seen no difference in service, price, or products over the last few months. They have lost a few brands, but added others. So im not seeing a problem? :dunno:
I haven't either. As a matter of fact, I have been ordering MORE from Chewy than I ever did before. My cats are SO picky and I did an online chat with them before I bought some foods they have never tried before. The rep was so nice and told me that I had up to 1 year to return it. Now I order from them without hesitation. Their prices are on par with Amazon who I used to buy a lot of cat food from. IMO Chewy is just as good as ever. I sent them a tweet after I did the online chat to let them know how nice the rep was. They responded (as they always do) and thanked me for letting me know and that they would pass the compliment on to the rep.

ETA: How could I forget this one? I have an autoship and didn't need it so I changed the date on my account about 3 weeks before it was supposed to ship. They sent it anyway. I did an online chat with them and they said that yes I did change my shipment date in plenty of time and they would refund my money and alert Fed Ex to send it back to the warehouse. Well, it showed up on my doorstep 2 days later. There was no refund on my bank account. I did another online chat with Chewy and the rep was lovely. She DID do the refund and told me to keep the shipment. Who else would do that? Anyone else would at best send a shipping label to me and I would have had to drop it off somewhere.

Last edited:

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I personally did see price increases but I also haven't been a long time customer of chewy so maybe the price fluctuations were normal. I was ordering from them when I first started feeding my cat wet food and was getting Pro Plan true nature. It was like $22 for a case of 24 5.5oz cans...now it's $30. I stopped using that food because it's now out of my budget.
I also just wasn't a fan of the way they ship. I understand when you are doing free shipping that you don't want to send things in multiple boxes because it costs the company more but it was pretty ridiculous to me the way they boxed things up. I ordered treats, 2 cases of canned food and a box of litter one time.... they sent it all 1 big box with NO packing materials. Most of the cans of food were dented, the box weighed so freaking much that I couldn't get it in my house by myself, I needed DH to get it off the porch and half the treats were crumbs because they got smashed by the heavier stuff.
I don't order from them anymore. Easier to grab food at the store.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally did see price increases but I also haven't been a long time customer of chewy so maybe the price fluctuations were normal. I was ordering from them when I first started feeding my cat wet food and was getting Pro Plan true nature. It was like $22 for a case of 24 5.5oz cans...now it's $30. I stopped using that food because it's now out of my budget.
I also just wasn't a fan of the way they ship. I understand when you are doing free shipping that you don't want to send things in multiple boxes because it costs the company more but it was pretty ridiculous to me the way they boxed things up. I ordered treats, 2 cases of canned food and a box of litter one time.... they sent it all 1 big box with NO packing materials. Most of the cans of food were dented, the box weighed so freaking much that I couldn't get it in my house by myself, I needed DH to get it off the porch and half the treats were crumbs because they got smashed by the heavier stuff.
I don't order from them anymore. Easier to grab food at the store.
I do agree that they will put everything in one box if possible, most companies do this with shipping, but this has always been an issue, not just since the buyout. We dont have local stores to shop at :( , without a 2 hour drive, so i do order a lot online. I feed 4 cats, so i do several orders per month. I can always order enough each time to get the free shipping and i try to split my orders. Litter one order, dry food one order, canned food another order, i think it comes packed better. Treats i always order by themselves, or they do get crunched! I have found Litter maid walnut litter at our local walmart now, so i can pick that up, and i enjoy that. My Dr. elseys crystals i still order online.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally did see price increases but I also haven't been a long time customer of chewy so maybe the price fluctuations were normal.
And sometimes they do. One of my personal favorites to watch for my birds is this mix Zilla Small Animal Munchies Vegetable & Fruit Mix Lizard Food, 4-oz bag ... Sometimes it's $15 and other times it's $5.99 , but their pricing on Nature's Variety Instinct and Dr Elsey's cleanprotein is usually consistent unless there is a sale. NV does go back and forth by a dollar or two depending on what time of year it is, and I've seen this with other foods.
I'm wondering if their customer service does price matching within 30 days or if anyone has ever asked them about this?

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She DID do the refund and told me to keep the shipment. Who else would do that?
We've had some donations to the shelter where someone got the wrong thing from Chewy or the product wasn't as expected, and Chewy said to just donate it to a local rescue org rather than shipping it back. I think it's pretty cool of them. :)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I order monthly for Dasquin cat litter and treats. I noticed price of cat litter went up $1 but shipping was overnight! I ordered on Friday and got it Saturday! I got the free shipping after $49. Only had one issue with a shipment busting open a bag of food but it was just a tiny tear-never called them-just put it in a tupperware container.

I have ordered food in the past that the girls wouldn't eat-called them up-they exchanged it and told me to donate to a shelter. Never had any issues with them.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've noticed some price fluctuations in products but nothing worrisome. Amazon has fluctuations on the same products just as often. Where I live there's no such thing as overnight or one day shipping (the post office doesn't even have those options), and 2 day only really counts if you're in the same county. My Amazon Prime packages take minimum a week to get here. Chewy got stuff here in 2 days! The amount of stuff in one box does suck. There have been multiple times I came home to destroyed boxes on the porch because they put multiple 40-lb bags of litter in one box. Eventually, they switched to packing a bag of litter with a few cases of food and the destruction was lessened.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We can't depend on getting our orders from Chewy within 2-3 business days like we used to, and the last coupon I used took about a month to get processed and credited to our account. But Amazon Prime orders are taking about a week to get here these days. So we've just learned to adjust, and try to be darned sure we don't cut it too close when reordering food or other supplies from anyone for our kitties.

Also, despite our best preemptive efforts to try to get our Chewy orders here in the best condition possible, it's not uncommon for at least half the cans to be so badly damaged that we don't feel comfortable feeding them to our immuno-compromised cat. We've even received cases of food where the cans had popped open during shipment, and spilled onto everything else in the box and ruining it. I can't tell you know awful that smells when you receive a package like that during our unbearably hot and humid Texas summers! :)

That being said, Chewy's customer service department still bends over backwards to try to make amends after something goes wrong, and is much better about that sort of thing than some other companies. So we still order quite a lot of stuff from Chewy.

jade14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love Chewy. I was disappointed when Fromm stopped selling their products on there because that is the dog food I fed. But I still order pet supplies regularly. Though my last order came in FOUR different boxes which was strange, I have never had them ship separately except once when the dog food I ordered had to be shipped from a different warehouse, took much longer to come but they refunded me enough money to go buy a small bag from a local retailer to hold me over. They still have great customer service from what I can see!

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Chiming in as another Chewy lover. I’ve spent nearly 2k on that site and haven’t ever been disappointed. I’ve only had a few issues which they remedied super quickly and with no hassle to me. Fantastic customer service. I usually get my orders within two days at the most and yes, they do come in one huge heavy box but I’ve learned to just do multiple orders if needed.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Chewy orders still come within 2 days. I don't think I would want my litter shipped in the same box as my cat food. But I don't order litter from there since I can get it cheaper at the stores here.