Chewing toys and food together??

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Recently Clove’s favorite toys are these small woolen balls that she bats and chases around. I buy them in bulk because she eventually tears them apart (and leaves the fluff all over the house), but she really loves them and they keep her entertained. I was thrilled to finally find a toy that she likes to play with by herself because usually she’s just screaming for me to play with her.

However lately she’s been bringing them and other soft toys to her food bowl (wet food), dropping them inside, taking a bite of wet food and then chewing with her mouth full on the toy. It seriously seems like she’s trying to flavor her favorite toys with some food so that they’re yummy to chew on! She’s so weird. I’m not sure if there’s any way for me to keep her from doing this, other than taking the toy away whenever I see her doing it and not allowing toys unless I’m supervising...

The toys get absolutely disgusting, half chewed up with saliva and wet food smushed into them, and then she proceeds to carry them around my house afterwards lol. I’m also worried that she’s going to ingest some of the wool... She doesn’t try to eat the toys otherwise, just tears them up... but after “seasoning” the toys with wet food, she’s gnawing on them very intently with her back teeth.

Does it seem harmless or should I be concerned? Anyone deal with a similar issue?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
She has discovered a new way to entertain herself with the 2 things she loves:toys and food. Take the toy away or find one that she cannot distroy

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
That is odd. I would pick up any of her favorite toys before feeding her and not give them back until you clear away her wet food dish. It just seems a little dangerous for her to be chewing on them while eating.