Chester scared the life out of me today!

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tonight when I opened the door to come in to my apartment he started to poke his nose out as usual them suddenly made a break for it!

He ran right out into the hallway and started sniffing around. Here I am looking like an idiot calling his name telling him to "get in here right now!" while he just ignored me.

By the time I could drop my stuff, prop the door open (it is on a spring and closes automatically) and get the treats to lure him in with he was half way to the elevator.

All the time a million thoughts are running thru my head...what if the neighbor with the German Shepard comes down down the hall! What neighbor can I go to for help! How the heck am I going to catch him and pick him up?

Finally after an eternity the lure of the treats got to him and he came back in.

After I scolded him that's when I realized how much it scared me. Then I sat down and just cried. I don't know which had me the most upset. The fact that something bad could have happened to him. Or the fact that I couldn't run after him. Even if I did mange to catch him I would have a hard time carrying him and walking at the same time.

Now that is is over and can breath again I keep telling my self that I have to be more vigilant and never let this happen again.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how terrifying it can be! Three of our kitties have escaped at one time or another, and in two cases, it was really only because they decided to come back inside that we didn't lose them altogether.

It sounds silly, but I swear this works for me: as I open the door, I make as much noise and fuss as possible with it... and then I begin repeating "No kitty no kitty no kitty" in a high-pitched voice. This really seems to make them back off!

So glad your little one came back inside!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is scary when they get out. Once, while I was at work, Popsie got outside and my idiot husband didn't realize it. I got home at midnight and couldn't find Popsie. He had been out for about 20 hours before we found him. I wanted to kill DH for that one.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I find it works to ring the doorbell before opening the door.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Or just knock loudly on the door to make them back away from it.
mrblanche

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

The one time Petunia got out, I was not able to get near her so I rang the doorbell. She heard it and ran inside up to her regular hiding spot.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baby has gotten out the front door at least half a dozen times. I hate it. She does usually just go and munch some grass, but if somebody scares her, will I ever find her again? *shudder* Every time I open that door I know she is thinking about rushing it. What part of "indoor cat" does she not understand? It sure can't be "cat" 'cause she KNOWS she wants her own way, and what's more catlike than that?

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
chloe did that to me. it was around 4 in the morning and i was just stepping out to get a pop. she ran out the door and every time i would try to take a step closer she would run 3 or 4 feet and stop. of course, its the middle of feb (about 10 deg) and id just gotten out of the shower & im wearing a tank top, pj pants and barefooted. she runs down the sidewalk and is bearing down like she just loves the wind on her face.
i almost grab her and she takes off running. im bawling by this point because its woods behind my apt which was where she was headed. instead she runs underneath this overgrown 10ft pricker bush that is full of trash like broken beer bottles, urine, and vomit (its a college apt complex) i had to crawl all the way under there on my stomach and pull her out by her scruff.

i seriously didnt think id get her back. shes lucky i love her so much lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The door bell would work but unfortunately my apartment is on the third floor and the buzzer is in the lobby.

Today I did bang on the door as I came in. He is so timid I hate to be scaring him but if it keeps him safe I'll have to do it.