Chester just tested positive for Feline AIDS - Feeling terrible..

zylaai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, 

My beloved cat Chester was just tested positive for feline AIDS (no Leukemia) ... He was a former feral until I took him in, I guess he got contracted it from a fight a while back.

He is 1 year old right now. The vet told me he is expected to die within 2-3 years.

I feel completely devastated and depressed, I'm so upset right now. I can't stop crying. 

I'm not sure what to do. Is there anything I can do at all to make him feel as comfortable and live as long as he possibly can? I don't know what to think right now, I just feel hopeless. 

I got some advice from a few people on some Facebook groups. I was told that my vet was misinformed but I don't really understand how she could be misinformed if she is a professional vet. 

Could I get some advice or clarification here? I don't know what to think.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, 

My beloved cat Chester was just tested positive for feline AIDS (no Leukemia) ... He was a former feral until I took him in, I guess he got contracted it from a fight a while back.

He is 1 year old right now. The vet told me he is expected to die within 2-3 years.

I feel completely devastated and depressed, I'm so upset right now. I can't stop crying. 

I'm not sure what to do. Is there anything I can do at all to make him feel as comfortable and live as long as he possibly can? I don't know what to think right now, I just feel hopeless. 

I got some advice from a few people on some Facebook groups. I was told that my vet was misinformed but I don't really understand how she could be misinformed if she is a professional vet. 
Could I get some advice or clarification here? I don't know what to think.
We had found a cat years ago, a giant, long-haired, blue cat we assumed was part Norwegian Forest Cat. He had a giant bite in his neck when we discovered him. We took him to the vet and he was tested positive for FIV, I assume maybe that isn't quite AIDS as it isn't quite to that point in humans, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, he was about five when we found him, I think. I was very young so it's hard to recall. I think we had him a couple years or maybe three, again, I can't really remember, but he was absolutely fine. He never was sick, he was a very happy, healthy boy. We ended up giving him away.. as a child I did not understand why, I still don't. We had seven cats and my parents did not want so many, so we got rid of four of them, I guess. It still makes me angry to this day, but anyway.. I believe we gave Smokey to my aunt and I think they let him outdoors. I have no idea what happened to him, I feel like he got hit by a car or something, really I can't remember. I guess I'm just trying to say your baby might not pass as soon as your vet is saying he will. I'm not an expert in this subject at all, I'm just telling you I had a seemingly healthy FIV positive cat. I don't even remember anyone ever saying his life expectancy had decreased at all, but again, maybe FIV isn't fill blown AIDS and maybe that's why he was okay.. I feel like I'm making a pointless post right now, I do apologise.
Good luck with your baby, give him lots of love and keep him indoors if you can. I know you probably do, but just in case. Hopefully someone who has experience with feline AIDS will chime in. I don't want to give you false hope, but I do think his life expectancy should be longer than what your vet had told you. Again, I don't know, and hopefully someone who does will say something.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

zylaai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been informed that FIV was called Feline AIDs back in the 80s. It is no longer used in this day and age's terminology. I've also been told that my vet is very misinformed & misguided in regards to FIV cats. I guess I'll be seeing another vet, a holistic one, ASAP. Thank you for your story, your cat sounds gorgeous.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been informed that FIV was called Feline AIDs back in the 80s. It is no longer used in this day and age's terminology. I've also been told that my vet is very misinformed & misguided in regards to FIV cats. I guess I'll be seeing another vet, a holistic one, ASAP. Thank you for your story, your cat sounds gorgeous.
He was a lovely cat. Very gentle and kind. I'll always wonder really what happened to him.
I think getting a second opinion from another vet is a very good idea. Good luck and I have my fingers crossed for you and your Chester!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, FIV is very manageable and most FIV+ cats live normal lifespans. FeLV is bad news, though, so it's a good thing he tested negative for that. I'm sure those with FIV+ cats will help you find the right resources---I believe there's an active Facebook group that is really helpful.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FIV kitties can and do live long lives.   Just make sure he is an indoor only kitty and gets his routine vet visits.   My neighbors actually adopted an FIV cat from our shelter and they just love him and he is thriving and healthy now that he is in a loving home.   Your Chester wil be fine.  And dump that vet.  She certainly has not kept up with current research/thinking.