Chesrestin And Severe Side Effects In Cats

Anita Rice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, all. I'm new to this site, but happened upon it when I was searching Google for information about a possible link between Cherestin and severe side effects in cats--from vomiting and lethargy to neurological damage and death. One member posted July 2016. That is a month after I had to fight to keep from losing my own cat after using Cherestin. He would vomit clear liquid, and would cry and cry, and was totally NOT himself at only three years old. I spent roughly $1,400.00 on vet trips, imaging tests, prescription drugs, etc. trying to narrow down what was happening. I heard everything from two different vets---from a thickened bladder wall, to possible pancreatitis. He eventually improved and is fine now. But in hindsight, I STRONGLY suspect the Cherestin. I am EXTREMELY gun-shy about using ANY topical flea product on my cats now. I have used Revolution in the past on other cats and never experienced any issue.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Joel May

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cheristin is lethal to cats ! Cheristin was recommended by our vet and we used it on several cats. Within a day the mother of several kittens died and one of her kittens began staggering around until she died days later. Cheristin was developed to be placed on the neck of a cat, but they never considered that cats that are affectionate to one another groom one
another !
Cheristin is billed as a flea toxin but it is a NEUROTOXIN for both fleas and cats. It is deadly and dangerous, billed as a topical only through EPA testing without taking into account grooming behavior in cats. We lost two beautiful cats to it, which is why I am posting.....so no one else has to.

jules10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To Joel May,
I know how you feel. I lost my cat to Cheristin in June of 2016. I've never seen an animal die the way she did. As for the vet that RX'd this poison, they still sell it.

However, the local shelter will not use it if given to them as a donation. It goes straight where it belongs, into the garbage can.

What can we do? We are up against BIG PHARMA! What you can do is TELL OTHERS and tell them to tell others. Eventually, word will spread not to use this poison!

I am sad to read about your losses! :(