Chemistry and Blood Panel in cat perfectally normal BUT cat won't eat and is dehydrated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fourcats4me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All,

Ginnie is doing better now. When I ran out of Cerenia yesterday, she had some pain and cramping and sat around hunched over. I did not have anything to give her, so I dumped all of the catnip out on a towel and gave to her to lay in. It is a pain killer for cats on the level of aspirin for us and is good in a pinch for stomach pain. . Sure enough, she spent the night laying in the catnip and looked much better this morning.

. I got a dose of injectable Cernia from my vet today, and she seems to be in better shape. She is very active, and I caught her scratching furniture and drinking water BUT she is very fussy about eating. She just nibbles on Temptation Treats multiple times during the day.

She goes to the vet tomorrow for a follow-up appointment. I would expect that they give her 50 ml fluids again tomorrow and keep her on the Cereniua and Vitamin B injection. I am reluctant to allow her out of the guest room until she has recovered. How long does it take for a cat, in general, to recover from an attack of chronic panacretitis?. Is it a recurring condition?

Fourcats4me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jennie HAD a FANTASTIC checkup. She did not need any fluids and she gained.50 pounds back. Thanks to all for your help it sounds like she is getting over pancreatitis.

Fourcats4me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ginnie was diagnosed with pancreatitis three weeks ago, and she continues to improve with the care of a DECENT vet and good home care,

She is looking good, and her coat has in excellent condition (it is no longer gummy, and she is no longer shedding); she is eating again by herself, gaining weight, pushing the other cats around, scratching the furniture, walking all over the house, improved muscle tone, hogging the bed, etc. Three weeks ago, she was one sick kitty, but she is coming back.

She still suffers from minor dehydration and has visited the vet weekly for 100 ml subcutaneous fluids. Unfortunately, she will not allow me to give them to her. She weighed 10 pounds before her illness and went down to 8 pounds. She is back to 9.60 lbs. She still gets the Vitamin B 12 injection once a week, and a Cerinia injection as needed. But she is returning and will have another vet f/u check in mid-August. I am so happy my baby feels better. It is just slow progress and scary to think how close I came to losing her due to some poor vet care.

Many thanks to all here for your help!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
F Fourcats4me Excellent news! Since that condition is so particular, your vet might like her coming in for fluids to also keep a second eye. It can help calm some people's anxiety too knowing that there's a professional look. So that's the bright side of going in 😁