Cheetah

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
John, would that be AHCC that you’re giving Sammy? Many, many excellent studies on it, I have used it for years. I believe in herbals and alternative meds. Stage 4 metastatic cancer survivor here. Given 18 months to live 20 years ago, still here, taking my wonderful supplements.
I'm glad I'm not alone, Sammy is getting 2 meds 1 contains Organic Piptoporus Betulinus MT

Piptoporus betulinus is a mushroom which is usually known as birch polypore. It has proved to reduce the growth of tumor in colon cancer and lung cancer. It exerts no to minimal effects on normal cells.
Medicinal Mushrooms To Fight Cancer - Getting Healthier | Healthy Diet & Healthy Living

Ferrum Phosphoricum is the other med. A minor anti inflamatory and encourages hemoglobin production.

Sammy gets an xray tomorrow.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are definitely not alone! I had intense chemo 20 years ago and was on 18 different meds per day. Every time I had a side effect, I would have yet another prescription prescribed. It was relentless and I knew there had to be a better way. I began studying alternative medicine and have had incredible success. People think because the FDA approves something that it’s safe. I believe the exact opposite. For the pharmaceutical companies, it’s all about the money. My values are quite different, and my results have been remarkable. Sammy is in good hands! Please let me know how he’s doing,

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sammy's x-rays have been done. He was diagnosed with lung cancer April this year. I left the original vet due to reasons I already discussed. Because of how Batman was mishandled. Anyway the new vet took another x-ray and compared it to the old x-ray, at that time his lung cancer had grown within 6 weeks about 1/2 inch. We just took his new set after 6 weeks of being a mushroom cat. No growth in his tumor. Vet told me this morning he should be dead. I'm continuing the treatment, I feel it may be helping. He also gained .2 pound in weight and seems to be himself.

I thank you maggiemay I feel exactly like you but probably a little more concerned about pharmaceutical companies. I feel for the most part they no longer want to cure, they only wish to prolong your expenses to make more money. I watched my brother go from diagnosed with esophageal cancer to spreading then through chemo then x-rayed with no sign of cancer then dying of the same cancer.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No new growth, plus he gained some weight! That is wonderful news! I totally believe in what you are doing. I am so sorry about your brother. I couldn’t agree more about the pharmaceutical companies. It is all about income stream, they couldn’t care less if you are cured. My body was so toxic during my year of chemo that I watched a mosquito bite my arm and fall over dead. I went through six months of radiation, sometimes burned so badly I had to take a two week break. I knew the instant I got my diagnosis that the cancer wouldn’t kill me. But I often thought the “treatment” might. Until my chemo brain had a lucid moment and I knew there was a better way, one that wouldn’t involve deadly poisons. I’m not saying I healed myself, that credit is God’s, but since then the alternatives I use have healed many, many things in myself and others. 1000% in your corner, John. You and Sammy are fighters. Love this news!

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No new growth, plus he gained some weight! That is wonderful news! I totally believe in what you are doing. I am so sorry about your brother. I couldn’t agree more about the pharmaceutical companies. It is all about income stream, they couldn’t care less if you are cured. My body was so toxic during my year of chemo that I watched a mosquito bite my arm and fall over dead. I went through six months of radiation, sometimes burned so badly I had to take a two week break. I knew the instant I got my diagnosis that the cancer wouldn’t kill me. But I often thought the “treatment” might. Until my chemo brain had a lucid moment and I knew there was a better way, one that wouldn’t involve deadly poisons. I’m not saying I healed myself, that credit is God’s, but since then the alternatives I use have healed many, many things in myself and others. 1000% in your corner, John. You and Sammy are fighters. Love this news!
I only can try, it is in his hands. We should probably quit stealing this thread. I'm so happy for my Sam.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, Cheetah must have somehow tagged the horse, so it is now his turn to worry me. Cheetah is feeling better and back to sleeping with me again since I increased her Prednisolone to 5 mg twice a day, a few days ago. The horse fell down while I was riding him yesterday. Like, all the way down on to his side. That’s a very bad thing for a horse to do and I can’t find a vet that will come out. At least Cheetah is feeling better.
You are amazing! I raised Tennessee Walkers years ago, so fellow horse lover here, and devoted cat mom. Prayers fir you, for Cheetah and for Diesel.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have used the following three alternative meds on cancer kitties: AHCC, Rx Vitamin D3 for Cats and Petwellbeing Milk Thistle. I would be happy to supply you links to them if you want. However, since Cheetah is on steroids, his immune system is suppressed. AHCC actively increases immune system activity so that the body can fight the cancer. Once Cheetah is off chemo, perhaps you can try it. Petwellbeing offers a vet-formulated product called Life Gold for cancer patients. It may be able to be used in conjunction with chemo. They have a hotline, and their products are also sold on Amazon and on Chewy, where they are often on sale.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have learned over far too many years that every living creature responds to different treatments in different ways. You go with what works, always. Whether that be a Western approach, an alternative approach, or a combination of the two. And I've seen alternatives work often enough on animals to know that IF they respond, it is no placebo effect. Go with what works.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Always, always check with a vet before giving any OTC supplements to pets; many "herbal remedies" contain compounds that may interfere with prescription medications (or each other). I would urge everyone here to be wary of anything promoted by the multi-billion-dollar "natural" alt med industry, which is not subject to the strict testing requirements for specific efficacy, safety, mechanism, ingredient transparency, and quality control that science-based medicines are held to.

HomeoAnimal peddles homeopathy, which is not only worthless pseudoscience (this is not debatable) but is also known to be actively harmful to pets through encouraging delay of/abstention from proven standard treatments (which has also led to numerous deaths in humans) and via directly poisoning animals. This company should be blacklisted.
Just a little information for you. Where do you think your wonder drugs come from?

According to Newman and Cragg 2012, the utility of natural products as sources of novel structures is still alive and well. Up to 50% the approved drugs during the last 30 years are from either directly or indirectly from natural products and in the area of cancer, over the time frame from around the 1940s to date, of the 175 small molecules 85 actually being either natural products or directly derived there from.

Natural products derived from plants as a source of drugs
ABOVE IS THE SOURCE

Last edited:

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awesome post, John. keeping you and your Sam in my prayers.
I find it funny that most people do not even know that common aspirin was derived from a natural source and patented by BAYER.
Most new cancer treatments are coming from a variety of natural sources.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I find it funny that most people do not even know that common aspirin was derived from a natural source and patented by BAYER.
Most new cancer treatments are coming from a variety of natural sources.
Yes, white willow bark! Another great herb is boswellia, also known as frankincense, for tendonitis, arthritis, bursitis, any inflammatory joint condition. Another thing most people don’t know is that many of the chemotherapies still in use today are versions of mustard gas. No thanks, been there, done that.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, white willow bark! Another great herb is boswellia, also known as frankincense, for tendonitis, arthritis, bursitis, any inflammatory joint condition. Another thing most people don’t know is that many of the chemotherapies still in use today are versions of mustard gas. No thanks, been there, done that.
I honestly think that the lord left a cure in some form for anything that may cause us a problem. It is just a matter of finding it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I honestly think that the lord left a cure in some form for anything that may cause us a problem. It is just a matter of finding it.
I agree, and in an odd addendum to that, for every poisonous plant, the antidote plant grows near it. Something I learned from an old Dakota grandmother many years ago. Not my grandmother, sadly I have no NA blood at all.

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a little information for you. Where do you think your wonder drugs come from?

According to Newman and Cragg 2012, the utility of natural products as sources of novel structures is still alive and well. Up to 50% the approved drugs during the last 30 years are from either directly or indirectly from natural products and in the area of cancer, over the time frame from around the 1940s to date, of the 175 small molecules 85 actually being either natural products or directly derived there from.

Natural products derived from plants as a source of drugs
ABOVE IS THE SOURCE
Yes, I am very familiar with the process of generating lead drugs from natural materials. However, I feel you are deeply underestimating how much work is involved in turning a plant into something that has actual, empirical clinical specific efficacy. Just because a medicinal compound was originally derived from a plant does not mean the plant itself has any medical benefit; it doesn't even mean that the plant was ever used in a traditional medicine formulation (many phytopharmaceuticals are predicted based on molecular homology with known compounds rather than identified from ethnopharmacopoeias). The extraction, isolation, screening, interaction profiling, and modifications for pharmacokinetic and selectivity optimization result in a compound that is very far removed from anything found in nature. Just those first two steps alone remove any likeness to the natural precursor—for example, with plant alkaloids you have to go through soxhlet extraction using n-hexane treatment to solvate out other plant matter from bioactive alkaloids, alkaloid base liberation with NH4OH, and chloroform extraction of the base followed by Rotovap to get rid of the solvent; and then UPLC for fractionating out purified alkaloids coupled with HRMS for detection/identification. And all of this is happening before the compound is even tested for in vitro efficacy, let alone investigated clinically. Very often this lead compound is suboptimal in some way and must be heavily modified before it is even possible to use. Compared to the originating natural product, the resulting pharmaceutical is far more potent; is not confounded by extraneous, potentially dangerous or contraindicated compounds; has been evaluated for specific efficacy against a molecular target; has demonstrated clinical efficacy at defined dosages; has been extensively tested for safety, including in interactions with other drugs; is closely scrutinized for quality control at all levels; and is subject to strong regulation in terms of use.
This is not to say that no herbal remedies have beneficial pharmacological activity. Many plants do provide anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, immune-modulating, analgesic, or other effects; the problem is that the effects are generally nonspecific, are not quantified, have not been evaluated for safety under relevant physiological circumstances, and cannot be administered consistently in the form they are in. This last point is important because it means effective dosages cannot be calculated with any accuracy or reliability. And this is for the natural therapeutics that do have biological activity as demonstrated through scientific research; there are many orders of magnitude more remedies that have been thoroughly investigated and have not shown any therapeutic benefit beyond placebo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am very familiar with the process of generating lead drugs from natural materials. However, I feel you are deeply underestimating how much work is involved in turning a plant into something that has actual, empirical clinical specific efficacy. Just because a medicinal compound was originally derived from a plant does not mean the plant itself has any medical benefit; it doesn't even mean that the plant was ever used in a traditional medicine formulation (many phytopharmaceuticals are predicted based on molecular homology with known compounds rather than identified from ethnopharmacopoeias). The extraction, isolation, screening, interaction profiling, and modifications for pharmacokinetic and selectivity optimization result in a compound that is very far removed from anything found in nature. Just those first two steps alone remove any likeness to the natural precursor—for example, with plant alkaloids you have to go through soxhlet extraction using n-hexane treatment to solvate out other plant matter from bioactive alkaloids, alkaloid base liberation with NH4OH, and chloroform extraction of the base followed by Rotovap to get rid of the solvent; and then UPLC for fractionating out purified alkaloids coupled with HRMS for detection/identification. And all of this is happening before the compound is even tested for in vitro efficacy, let alone investigated clinically. Very often this lead compound is suboptimal in some way and must be heavily modified before it is even possible to use. Compared to the originating natural product, the resulting pharmaceutical is far more potent; is not confounded by extraneous, potentially dangerous or contraindicated compounds; has been evaluated for specific efficacy against a molecular target; has demonstrated clinical efficacy at defined dosages; has been extensively tested for safety, including in interactions with other drugs; is closely scrutinized for quality control at all levels; and is subject to strong regulation in terms of use.
This is not to say that no herbal remedies have beneficial pharmacological activity. Many plants do provide anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, immune-modulating, analgesic, or other effects; the problem is that the effects are generally nonspecific, are not quantified, have not been evaluated for safety under relevant physiological circumstances, and cannot be administered consistently in the form they are in. This last point is important because it means effective dosages cannot be calculated with any accuracy or reliability. And this is for the natural therapeutics that do have biological activity as demonstrated through scientific research; there are many orders of magnitude more remedies that have been thoroughly investigated and have not shown any therapeutic benefit beyond placebo.
Yea your right, I should let my cats just die. Have a great day.