Cheeses

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Gouda cheese but I never heard of goat Gouda. I think I would have to pass on the goat part. My favorite cheese is swiss.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought some Boar's Head Havarti when I was grocery shopping Friday night. It's yummy. Lily likes it too. Sophie not so much. They both love the BH picante provolone. It's so good. :yummy:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what BH picante is but I do love provolone. None of my 8 cats ever liked cheese of any kind.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cha Cha Cha Cchhhheeeeeeeeesssssseeeee!

I love cheese. On the "What's on Sale This Week" diet, my budget is usually the store brand of cheese at or under $3/lb.

Currently I have a stock of Monterrey Jack, Sharp cheddar, Mozzarella, Provolone, and a couple blocks of cream cheese. Oh...and a block of store brand "Velveeta" in case I run out of real cheese.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kraft Singles is my fall back cheese (ok processed cheese not real cheese) although lately I've been using Sargento's.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kind of an off shoot of a QOTD thread on cheeses :) Not a discussion on cheese balls like 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 ;):lol:

I bought a small wedge of Honey Bell goat Gouda and Black Diamond Cheddar this week. The goat gouda is so good :yummy: The cheddar isn't much different from any other cheddar.
What, I don't get my own thread??
"I don't get no respect!" :flail:

We have a very nice raw milk cheddar, it's light in color (bordering on white) and is a bit more hard and crumbly than traditional cheddar. It's got a really nice flavor, very zingy but not enough to knock your socks off your feet.
I'm a sucker for feta cheese. It's my favorite. :cloud9:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We still love you, Bruce :itslove:

I don't think I've ever had feta :think: Does it have a strong taste or smell?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This week's special is still the Honey Bee goat gouda:yummy: and Gorgonzola D’ Oro. I'll have to check for samples of the Gorgonzola the next time I'm at the market.

Is the cheese rind good for anything? I know Parmesan cheese rinds are often used in soups to add flavor but what about other cheeses?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We still love you, Bruce :itslove:

I don't think I've ever had feta :think: Does it have a strong taste or smell?
Have you ever had gyros? Feta's the cheese they use on them.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Traditional Greek salad also has feta cheese.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope, never had gyros or a Greek salad. I guess I'm not very food adventurous:confused:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, never had gyros or a Greek salad. I guess I'm not very food adventurous
You can always try a Greek salad with feta on the side.
A Greek salad is just lettuce, cokes, olives, onion (if you wish), sometimes tomato.. like a garden salad... with dressing on the side.. sometimes the dressing is oil based or creamy greek.

Feta is feta.. hard to describe.. crumbly but creamy.. crumbly like blue cheese, but not as strong.. it is really delicious..

Usually, you get a piece of pita bread with it.. to either dip or use for a 'salad sandwich'...

Can you tell, I love Greek Salads!!! May get one today!!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick and I are both cheese hounds. Part of the reason we visit Trader Joe's is to check out their cheeses. Alas, about the time we really find an excellent cheese, it's no longer to be found at TJ's. They had a great Asiago-Fontina (called Fontiago) cheese one time that was just delicious. We went back and.....gone. Never to be seen again.

We are big baby Swiss fans. Our local cheesemaker makes excellent baby Swiss cheese; it's really creamy and light. They also make a good regular Swiss and they're branching out now into Cheddar. Their Cheddar is good, really sharp.

I love a good feta on salads. I adore blue cheese. Our local (not a chain) pizza place makes a great black-and-blue pizza, loaded with blue cheese. Yum. We keep parmesan-reggiano on hand in a block in the fridge, so I always have it on hand to grate for anything and everything. And don't forget brie; a good brie is decadent when it's melted.

Any smoked cheese will usually find its way to our table. Smoked provolone, smoked gouda. Yum. The above-mentioned cheesemaker now makes smoked baby Swiss. Heavens, it's good stuff.

I would try goat gouda.

I guess my favorite is baby Swiss. But man, there are a lot of really good cheeses out there.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rick and I are both cheese hounds. Part of the reason we visit Trader Joe's is to check out their cheeses. Alas, about the time we really find an excellent cheese, it's no longer to be found at TJ's. They had a great Asiago-Fontina (called Fontiago) cheese one time that was just delicious. We went back and.....gone. Never to be seen again.
That's the annoying thing about TJ's:nono: Some items are on the shelves for a brief period of time and then disappear forever.

I like Swiss too:) It's good for grilled cheese sandwiches:yummy:

I tried a smoked cheese once and wasn't a fan of it:dunno: I don't recall what cheese it was.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What, I don't get my own thread??
"I don't get no respect!" :flail:

We have a very nice raw milk cheddar, it's light in color (bordering on white) and is a bit more hard and crumbly than traditional cheddar. It's got a really nice flavor, very zingy but not enough to knock your socks off your feet.
I'm a sucker for feta cheese. It's my favorite. :cloud9:
I love feta too. Take a look at this recipe. I need some in my life :yummy:

Best Greek Feta Dip - How to Make Greek Feta Dip