Cheesecake?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You know, I really hate cheesecake. I think cream cheese is diseased and should be declared illegal (so should sour cream, for that matter). But I am making a strawberry swirl cheesecake today for Rick's mother for Mother's Day. She's been after me for a couple of months now about cheesecake. Rick loves the stuff, too. Me? Ick!

Are you a cheesecake fan? Or do you agree that cream cheese is diseased?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I love cream cheese, I have it on saltine crackers (reminds me of my grandmother as she always had them for me)

I like Cheesecake, but I can't eat more than a bite or two. It's just too rich for me

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love cream cheese. And sour cream. If it wouldn't kill me I'd slather everything in the taste-appropiate cream, lol.

As for cheesecake. . .eh, it depends. A good cheesecake, not too sweet, not too tangy, not too crumbly crust, it's OK. I like most flavors at The Cheesecake Factory. But most cheesecakes are nasty. Especially the Jello recipe that most people use. Ick.

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cheesecake is okay. it's just really rich, so i wouldn't eat it often. in fact, it's been something like 8 or 9 + years since i've had any cheesecake.

i rarely use sour cream. i like it, but unless a recipe actually requires sour cream in it, i'll substitute plain yogurt instead. i always have uses for plain yogurt, or can easily make it into vanilla flavored yogurt (by adding powdered sugar and vanilla extract).

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cannot stand cheese cake at all :cringe::cringe::barfgreen: Or cream cheese but I'm ok with cream cheese frosting. Sour cream is only ok as a dollop on top of tacos or other Mexican foods.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love cream cheese. Especially when it is flavored with peach, strawberry or blueberry to put on bagels. I like cheese cake and sour cream but don't eat them too much.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I never liked cheesecake, until I made my own. I make a good pumpkin-swirl, with gingersnap and pecan crust cheesecake, which is reduced fat, but you'd never know it. I make a chocolate-swirl version, but with a crushed chocolate graham cracker crust. They also are pretty. For both recipes, I adapted normal recipes, but tweaked them to be reduced-fat. I once won an employee bake-off with the chocolate one (in the Light and Healthy category, but there only was one other entry, so that's not saying much, but, darn it, I'm going to brag anyway!).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Not only does it have a tang that I don't like, I think cream cheese is a "texture" thing. When I first started dating Rick, his mother invited me to dinner. Dessert was her special New York style cheesecake. Well, I never had cheesecake before. I took a bite and....heavens, I thought I was going to die. I managed to swallow my bite and Rick ate the rest of my piece. Not a good beginning!

margecat margecat Your cheesecakes sound pretty good. I don't use a graham cracker crust anymore; I make a spongecake crust. For cherry cheesecakes, I'll make a chocolate sponge cake. I usually make a gingersnap crust for our pumpkin cheesecakes, too. You know, for somebody who hates cheesecake, I certainly make them!

There is an orange-cream cheese frosting that I really like; I make it to top pumpkin bars. I don't know, maybe the orange tang help hide the cream cheese. I can eat that.

The cheesecake is in the oven now. It looks pretty with the strawberry swirls across the top. I'm going to make strawberry sauce to serve with the blasted thing.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love cheesecake, cream cheese, and sour cream. I slather sour cream on a lot of things and always keep a tub of it in the fridge. And I'm living proof it's not diseased!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would be perfectly happy with no cream cheese in the world. I like it on bagels occasionally but otherwise it can keep it's distance. Sour cream is good for dips and some foods, but in limited quantities.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love cheesecake but I do much prefer the real baked cheesecake to the no bake kind. I like bagels best with cream cheese and I like sour cream on baked potatoes. I have to limit things like this though, strictly every once in a great while treat food.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoy cheesecake, though sometimes it's too rich. My mom will occasionally make these mini cheesecakes in cupcake papers with a nilla wafter on the bottom as a crust. Yummy.

I also love cream cheese and there's never too much sour cream for Mexican food, but I looove almost every kind of cheese.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a fan of cheesecake but sometimes will eat a little piece if it has strawberries on it.

I don't like Greek yogurt, and I think it's texture, so I totally get it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call me a Golden Girl because I love me some cheesecake. I love like all dairy products though.
Did you know that Bea Arthur hated cheesecake?

I can't stand it. I like cream cheese and I like sour cream but I cannot stand cheesecake. I've made more than I can count over the years but I do not like it. Like Winchester Winchester said. It has a "tang" or something to it that I just don't like. It's also a dairy overload. No thank you. If I'm going to indulge in dairy, I'll have some good chocolate mousse made with high quality imported dark chocolate.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yes. Cheese cake is one of my favorite desserts. I like the plain as it is flexible to add toppings of your choice. Not a fan of cherries on it though.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cheesecake is probably my favorite dessert. I love my Aunt's cheesecake loaded with cherries on top!

Otherwise get creative! Any kind of berry topping or swirl is good. Chocolate is good. Lemon is good. Lemon blueberry sounds really good right now.

DH and I like to get a small variety cheesecake to split when the kids do an overnight at my Mom's. It't become our traditional after date night dinner dessert. :lol:

We like our sour cream too. Especially in tacos or on baked potatoes.
:yummy:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I don't like Greek yogurt, and I think it's texture, so I totally get it.
misty8723 misty8723 I don't like Greek yogurt either; I tried to eat it when I was trying to increase my protein intake because Greek yogurt has more protein than regular yogurt. I got to where I couldn't eat it anymore. Disgusting stuff. I do think that was a texture thing.

I can't stand it. I like cream cheese and I like sour cream but I cannot stand cheesecake. I've made more than I can count over the years but I do not like it. Like Winchester Winchester said. It has a "tang" or something to it that I just don't like. It's also a dairy overload. No thank you. If I'm going to indulge in dairy, I'll have some good chocolate mousse made with high quality imported dark chocolate.
Kat0121 Kat0121 I like your way of thinking!

I like making cheesecake because I won't eat the stuff and I won't even dip a spoon in to try it out when I'm making it, so I don't even have to think about the calories and fat content. I don't even like getting the cream cheese on my fingers when I'm putting it into the mixer bowl....I'll wash my hands quickly, with lots of dish soap.