Cheese added

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cat likes Purina wet. I notice there are some varieties that have cheese added. Although it sounds tempting to try, I am hesitating for fear it would be constipating . Do you feed your kitties wet food with cheese in the recipe?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is an interesting question! I have avoided some foods with cheese in them not because of possible constipation, but because Feeby is not really keen on cheese. However, in reading your post the first thing that went through my mind is how far down on the list of ingredients is the cheese listed? If not in the first 4 or 5 ingredients, the odds are there isn't enough cheese to cause constipation (or probably not really enough to make the food taste like cheese, either) - unless perhaps your cat is prone to getting constipated.

A trial can or two (not back-to-back feedings) should tell you if you see a change in your cat's stool. Chances are if given intermittently in between other foods there is not likely to be a problem!

I will be interested to see others' opinions!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cheese shown on the can is scattered among the chicken pieces and are clearly visible as a main ingredient.
It says made with real cheese so I don't think those are `faux'....but then again.....
I just want to give her something more of a variety because she is starting to lick gravy again.
But I know what cheese does to my gut.....

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The cheese shown on the can is scattered among the chicken pieces and are clearly visible as a main ingredient.
Take the pics with a 'grain of salt' - how many pics actually look like the 'food' when you get them. Feeby doesn't like carrots, and some of the foods I have fed her show pics with carrot bits in them, but not so much when I have opened the can. It just all depends, I guess.

Try other brands if your cat is slowing down on liking her current Purina ones. Feeby is old (18+ yo) and so I am constantly trying different foods in order to keep her eating. I use Fancy Feast, Purina, Merrick, Wellness Core, Tiki Cat, and even some Blue Wilderness just to name the primary ones. I don't like some of the ingredients in them, but at this point I give her what she will eat.

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have fed my cat (very picky eater) Reveal Chicken and Cheese as a part of his very varied diet, and suffered no ill effects. But I do not feed it every day, maybe (1) 3 ounce can every third day. You can actually see small pieces of cheese in the food. The ingredients:

Composition: Chicken Breast, Chicken Broth, Cheese.

Additives: None

Analytic Constituents:

Crude Protein (min) 15%, Crude Fat (min) 0.3%, Crude Fiber (max) 1%, Moisture (max) 85%, Ash (max) 2.5%

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats love the friskies Turkey and cheese. It’s one of the foods they will eat consistently so I keep it in my rotation

Marley&Luna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
RAWZ has a pouch chicken breast with cheese we’re about to try. We’ll see how it goes. I don’t see an issue with it if a) they like it and b) it’s part of a varied rotation. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats love the friskies Turkey and cheese. It’s one of the foods they will eat consistently so I keep it in my rotation
I had a feeling she was getting bored, sick and tired of the Purina Pro Essential Wet food because she was leaving so much uneaten lately..even small portions. . Today I chanced it and got her some Fancy Feast wet with gravy and she ate til she licked the bowl..meat and all, whereas she tended to leave a lot of meat and vegetables behind. They have a variety with cheese and I also saw one with sweet potato and I am going to see if she fancy's(pun intended) that.
Still sticking to poultry, though because she pukes up fish for some reason 🤮....like me and organ meats!.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw a lot of Fancy Feast tins with cheese added last night. Didn’t even think of the constipation possibilities, but my reaction was that cheese for cats is not a good idea. They’re not supposed to have cow’s milk because they’re lactose intolerant, and cheese?? Not a chance. Plus I’m trying to get Daisy’s weight down!

Marley&Luna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For what it’s worth, my girls looooooved the RAWZ chicken breast & cheese. 👍🏻

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just saw a lot of Fancy Feast tins with cheese added last night. Didn’t even think of the constipation possibilities, but my reaction was that cheese for cats is not a good idea. They’re not supposed to have cow’s milk because they’re lactose intolerant, and cheese?? Not a chance. Plus I’m trying to get Daisy’s weight down!
I’m sure the 3 little tiny pieces of cheese in the can won’t be an issue! But feed your cats what you prefer 🙂 mine enjoy it, so they will continue to get it