Cheers to Cheetah

QooQooQitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Chapter 1.

Contact and Touch

I have been saying for quite some time how I’ve been attending to this ex-alley cat for a several years – a couple in the alley, and a few years now here on the property, without ‘being able to touch him’.

Well, I must confess to my error.

I have touched him every day for years.

He, Cheetah, and his ‘guardian’, Red Rover where lying in their new spot against the north wall of the house, under the patio roof, near my ‘cage’. They have been doing this several days now, so I know to put food and water where they currently laze, and have been sliding a one-gallon ice bottle in where they are for some cooling. Initially they would evacuate the spot, and return when I was done. They now just sort of hang out. They know what I am up to and re OK with it.

And today, on my way back in, Cheetah was DRAPED OVER THE TOP OF THE BOTTLE.

And somehow I knew, that though we had never made CONTACT’, we have been touching each other’s lives for many years.

Cheetah is not well. He’s lost a lot of weight. And he seems to have gone quite deaf.

There is no way we can snag him let alone afford ANY additional vet bills. He has lived out a protected, provided for life, with company. He has seen and had options for other places and spaces, but has opted to stay here.

Am I relieved that Red Rover has taken on caring for him, the same way he watched over Patches when she was declining.

And Maddi inside, has her hands FULL being the ‘curing cat’ for Cumulus, Nimbus, AND myself. When I lie down, she will come and ‘hold my hand’, laying her paws over them.

Thank mew, Cheetah!

Chapter 2

A Story of Departure...

It got to be obvious that Patches was not doing well. But she was a feral. Not mean or aggressive, just not trusting of us vertical cats.

The last time I saw her, I was sitting on the patio, and she and Cheetah, her constant companion since becoming ill, walked past a few feet away.

I made the chirp noise I usually do, and they both stopped. She looked me square in the eye for several seconds. I said, ‘I would get you help if you would only let me.’

I saw in her eyes, ‘Thank you. For everything you’ve done. Saving me (us). Sheltering and feeding us. But I am a feral, and I this is how I am.’

The two were inseparable for a while. And all over the property.

And then she was gone.

I’ve no idea where she went to expire. I never found anything of her on the grounds.

I am SO grateful that Cheetah looked after her. It was awesome to watch the two of them.

Cheetah is still quite feral. In about six years of feeding, and four years on the grounds, I still cannot touch him. But e does look me in the eye, and he does talk to me.

Bless him.

I fear it is now nearing Cheetah's time to take his leave. He has been exactly as Patches had been.

And gratefully and gracefully, he has a companion n Red Rover as he travels towards his transition.

Crap! I'm crying!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Wild Spirits, dream you deep. Your lives had, and have, meaning, and you are not forgotten. Cheetah, may you pass through the Gate between This Adventure and your Next Great Adventure gently. We will not forget.

To love ferals is to know that your heart will be broken, over and over again. But we know the joy of having the trust of these Wild Spirits is more than worth the pain when they go. My heart with yours.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These beautiful spirits were meant to be free. Their situations may have been different long ago when they first came to this earth, but through no fault of their own what is their existence now is all they have ever known and is what it is. Once in a while, they meet up with a soul that opens up to them, that cares for them, that lets them into the heart. That soul is you. You gave them food and shelter and the most important thing of all, someone to love......
It hurts to see them age and decline, the first inkling is to rush to them and help. But many times that is not what they need or want, they just need someone to stand by and love them no matter what. You gave them exactly what they wanted on their own terms, not your own.
Though it hurts to let them go, to never see those beautiful faces again, you did well. You offered protection, care and food, and love when they needed it most. Do not turn that into pain by second guessing yourself. Use your beautiful memories to bring yourself comfort and know that they are at peace because they share a bond of love with your soul. A bond that is spiritual, so eternal. They will be as close as your thoughts and prayers forever. They live on through you now. They are creatures of the wild, and to have them share a little of their hearts with you is priceless. i salute you for caring, I pray that they will find the peace they deserve. You made their lives a little easier and for that you will be blessed, take care my friend.....RIP dear Patches, Cheetah is preparing to join you in the great beyond. You both will never be forgotten, you both occupy secure places in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you both, until you all meet again!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
What a lovely story of friendship between these two kitties, and your relationship with them. Rest in peace, little Patches, and I hope Cheetah's end is peaceful. :rbheart:

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The "Rainbow Bridge" is for stray and feral cats, just as it is for the finest breed of housecat I am sure they will be happily accepted, and well cared for there. God bless you for taking good care of them while they were on this side of THE bridge! I know there are thousand of us "cat lovers" that really do appreciate it.