Cheaper Wet Food Comparable To Wellness

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all-

I have been feeding my two furbabies a combination of Wellness Weight Management dry food and Wellness Core Hearty Chunks Whitefish and Salmon daily. Both have beautiful coats (even if I swear their spring shredding has lasted 4 months!), and are perfectly healthy. I wouldn't consider changing their food except...I'm looking at a $20,000 a year pay cut and $2 a can a day is going to be a bit harder to swallow.

Does anyone know of a wet food comparable to Wellness that is either a) cheaper b) frequently on sale or c) has decent coupons?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently switched Indy from wellness to performatrin. The chicken flavor actually smells good like fresh chicken. It's about half the price of Wellness and seems really good. They have kitten indoor adult and weight management varieties. Plus it's frequently on sale.

Only downside is its a pet valu brand so it may not be available to you.

home page - Performatrin - Excellence in Nutrition

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found a comparison of wet foods on this site and found Blue Freedom to be about the same in terms of protein/carb content, but my case is about $15 cheaper a month on Chewy. Hopefully that'll do the trick!

christinab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I order Wellness from Chewy and the cans I get come to about $1.50-1.60 a can depending on current sales, not a whole lot better than $2, but still better and shipping is free, plus if they don't like it refunds are easy and they have you donate what your cats won't eat. I get the Complete Health whole grain cans. They even come in different forms(pate, morsels, sliced, minced) so if your cats are picky about that you can get the one they will eat. Morsels is what ours prefer, they won't eat pate at all so that limits a lot of my choices for them.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Trouble with that website is it has very limited shipping. They don't even ship to Canada. Unless you live in the US that site is useless.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you have an independent store near you, Dave's Pet Food has decent canned, similar quality to Wellness. And a 12 oz can is like $1.89 so it's way cheaper.

I'd really recommend switching up the wet food. Fish is fine as a treat once a week, but it's not great for cats nutrition wise. Most have high levels of mercury, and fish has been linked to urinary problems.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally with Indy I can't avoid fish as she tires of birds and livestock quickly. I do rotate the flavours though each time I open a new can.

Guess she's just true to her American shorthair heritage of ship's cats.

kriswhitney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This thread is over a year old, but hoping someone can answer. I'm feeling like Core Wellness is the best food for my cat however somehow this marketing has managed to lay a guilt trip on all who feed their cat something else; hence you must pay about $2 for a 3oz can (or more) to be a good pet owner. With a few kittens and a cat, this is more pricey than feeding a newborn child. There must be something comparable and affordable. If another company comes up with a grain free natural food that is affordable, it's good bye to Core Wellness. Their profit margin must be quite high and guessing the CEO makes about $800,000 annually. Your thoughts?,

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course you don't have to pay $2 for a 3oz can to be a good pet owner. You are already a good pet owner simply for knowing about canned food and how important the moisture is for cats. :)

kriswhitney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Coincidentally after I posted my comment, my vet contacted me to tell me grain free diets is linked to cardio myopathy in dogs and they are also concerned about cats per the FDA. They recommended I do not buy grain free food for my cat so that problem is solved. Sounds like hill's science diet is the way to go

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Coincidentally after I posted my comment, my vet contacted me to tell me grain free diets is linked to cardio myopathy in dogs and they are also concerned about cats per the FDA. They recommended I do not buy grain free food for my cat so that problem is solved. Sounds like hill's science diet is the way to go
Thats not really true the way thats stated. Grain free diets that are plant based diets are potentially leading to heart problems in dogs, not grain free diets that are meat based. Hills science diet is also plant based. I wouldnt feed that either. Both cats and dogs need to eat meat

kriswhitney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thats not really true the way thats stated. Grain free diets that are plant based diets are potentially leading to heart problems in dogs, not grain free diets that are meat based. Hills science diet is also plant based. I wouldnt feed that either. Both cats and dogs need to eat meat

kriswhitney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the information, I'll discuss that with my vet. Not sure why they didn't know that or specify

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Trouble with that website is it has very limited shipping. They don't even ship to Canada. Unless you live in the US that site is useless.
You consider Whole earth farm. I pay CAD1.59 per 5oz can and get 10% off if buy a dozen. Personally I think the pate beef and duck are decent food.