Cheap Wet Food

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's interesting! Ours have eaten homemade (with EZ) beef, Rawz beef, and something Fancy Feast without incident... the Tractor Supply food is pretty decent -- meat comes before byproducts on all three kinds -- though I wouldn't be surprised if there's something in the flavorings and other stuff that bothered someone's stomach. These cats definitely have weird little stomachs, too!
Our dogs are pretty much trash compactors and have eaten stuff without incident. =/ The herding dogs seem to live for horse hoof trimmings especially. In the past my dogs would eat random crap (literally) or these trimmings but snub the 90 buck a bag kibble...
Our cats OTOH won't touch some of the weird stuff our dogs have and seem to have a more defined palate for fresh food whereas the dogs have eaten some rank/ripe stuff.
For the cat that eats canned food we don't really shy away from by products anymore, as our pack eats by products (hearts, livers, lungs, kidneys, tripe, spleen, pancreas, etc., etc.,) on a daily basis and these things are very nutritious. What I shy away from is anything that's labeled "meat" or "meat by-products" because that could be anything..!
Our IBD cat is doing very well with Fancy Feast pate, "meat" and all. He likes this so we feed it! He prefers gravies/shreds but the pate is well taken!! =)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that, uh, shall we say, interesting aspect of rural/farm/horsy/country life :catman:
Speaking of rural stuff, we feed barn cats and strays cheap kibble with some canned but they're always long lived, healthy, and happy...I think the fact that the pest population is zero helps that =D

jeanne38

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have three cats but the one pictured here was about 18 pounds when i got her.. I was told that any wet food is better than the best dry.. so i cut out all the dry( she was overweight when we took her from a friend who free fed her only dry). ANyway we fed her 2-3 times a day for a total of 6 ounces of wet food daily with occasional treat.. She isnow 11 pounds and is so agile It took about 7 months but she is only 4 yrs old and now acts like a young cat.It can get expensive feeding cats but i feel they have a good home and are well taken care of and they are not in cages ( I rescued the other two) .I am also looking into making my own homemade cooked cat food. anythng to save money..Cat litter is expensive too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I've looked into homemade and I think it would cost more for me to make my own than to buy it. I already buy the cheapest litter possible $6 for 25 lbs or I buy the bigger ones $10 for 40 lbs. I haven't found anything cheaper than that. That's tractor supply.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried all the food with them. Luna won't touch the any of the Paws and Claws- not even with toppers or animal digest. They both are eating the Friskies though. I've just tired some pates that said chicken. They didn't act too crazy about it like they do with the other food. But if they'll eat it, then maybe we'll go with Friskies for a while. That should cut down on costs.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could try some of the Walmart ones, GoodLife, Delectables, specialkitty, pure balance.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try some of the Walmart ones, GoodLife, Delectables, specialkitty, pure balance.
I don't think my Walmart has those. I've heard of them but never seem them. I think I may have seen a VERY small selection of special kitty shoved back in the corner on the bottom shelf once. I might have to travel to a bigger Walmart.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you have a king soopers there are some I came across when I was in the same hunt as you are, luvsome, Sheba, pet pride, abound, Purina One true instinct...

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of king soopers but there are some other stores here that I can check out. Walmart has a small cat aisle that is basically divided in half with FF and Friskies. I can check Dollar general, I think they have cat food. And there is a local grocery store that I can look at. I will look for those names. Thanks

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine have chicken breakfast and either rabbit, beef or duck for dinner. This has been for ten years. I opened the wrong can one morning and they walked away, but ate it that night?????‍♂

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Target cartwheel app. Occasionally you can get coupons and more off if its on sale. This threads is old. Has anyone changed thier mind about what's posted?

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Target cartwheel app. Occasionally you can get coupons and more off if its on sale. This threads is old. Has anyone changed thier mind about what's posted?
This thread isn't old. I started it and I just posted an update 2 days ago.

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a TS in town, but other thab that just walmart. I have to drive 45 mins out of town to get to any local pet store or a petco or petsmart, so i cant check often for sales. I'll see if they will eat friskies pate and cut back on the others.
Do you have a Kroger? Their store brand Luvsome is pretty good, meat is the first ingredient.