Cheap vs Frugal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We as a society waste so much food, that practice NEEDS to stop!
You are so right about wasting....:disappointed:
One thing I have noticed quite a bit, is that there is not so much "expiration" dates as much as there are "best before" dates now. But that still doesn't help when people see the best before date as the expiry.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to add for everyone...

Please post how you save moolah, any tricks or tips on re-purposing items, etc...
No matter what it is, how seemingly insignificant or crazy...I'm always open to find new ways to be less wasteful and save money!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently found out that the best by date on tomato paste means it, lol. It wouldn't have made anybody sick but it had picked up a strong metallic taste from the can. Good thing I tried it before adding it to the recipe. But usually, yeah, unopened packaged food should be fine for quite a while past the best by date. But don't eat 10-day-old deli turkey. . .!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But don't eat 10-day-old deli turkey. . .!
Yeah...by then it's kinda ripe! LOL!

I remember in high school one time, I was eating my bologna sandwich (I made my own lunches). I found some of the bites sorta tasted funny, but I was super hungry. I got thru 3 quarters of it when I finally checked the meat and noticed the green tinged outer edge.....:barfgreen:
I was fine though, didn't get sick or anything...and I still love bologna!