cheap dry food at kittens new home?

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So we have 5 well 4 now kittens,almost 9 weeks one went yesterday a bit early but I know it is a good home despite the fact they really wanted it sooner ...but I met a family at the grocery store ( we wereboth buying alot of litter) weeks ago when my kids were telling everyone about the new borns and they actully said they wanted one so we exchanged emails. They have 3 other cats an 8 yr old female and 2 more that were her kittens. Any how I ran in to them again yesterday and they were buying a large bag of the cheapest store brand kibble and so now I am wondering if I should let them have our kitten. Am I being to judgemental? I fed mostly dry to my older cats and the reason we have kits is 2 cars each needed 900$ car repairs in back to back months. So it's not like I have unlimited funds for my pets.
But I feed the grain free dry, not the most expensive but alot of label reading went into my choice and the % and ingredents read the same as some kinds that are 2x the price.
And babies and sick cats and the mumma ,only one I have had since child hood get corn and wheat free wet, some of it has some brown rice.
What do you think ? Would you ask them more ?? Or just say sorry the kiiten went somewhere else? Not that I have another home to choose from yet?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I find that many people who feed the cheaper grocery store brands often just aren't aware of what they are feeding. They trust that the food is balanced and complete, but give little to no thought into the ingredients. You can always ask her how she chose the particular food for her cats. (Say something like...I noticed you fed XXfood...I'm looking for another option for my cats and was wondering how you chose this brand?)

With that said, I always suggest people adopting out cats (even individuals) do reference checks with vets. Contact her vet and tell them one of their clients is looking to adopt a kitten from you. Find out if all of her current animals are spayed/neutered and up to date on vaccines. If she has dogs, find out if they receive monthly Heartworm preventative.

Oftentimes if you are really polite with the receptionist, they will be more forthcoming of information if there was been an issue with this particular person.

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a dilemma! I would completely feel the same way you are feeling if I was in a similar situation. My friend actually fosters kittens--that being said, she is VERY selective about who she gives the kittens to. She usually tries to do as much of her own research as possible on each prospect.

Personally, I can't think of a proper way to bring it up to the potential adopters. If anything, I may tell a little fib and say that the kitten needs special grain-free food :), then let that conversation lead you to talking about the importance of quality kibble. I really big selling point may be that it may actually save them money in the long run in vet bills because low-quality ingredient kibble contains troublesome substances for cats and seriously can contribute to major health problems. 

Ah who am I kidding.... I would probably just not give the kitten to them 
. But that's just me personally... and I tend to be what some might say "overly-passionate" about cat nutrition. The demand for kittens is so high right now-- I'm sure you could find them homes with owners who would fit your criteria. Sometimes I don't understand how people can have animals for so long and do no research on what is good or bad for them. 

Good luck! Keep us updated! 

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually I'm tougher than that.  I stress that cats should have WET food as their primary food and kibble only as a snack, dessert or small treat.  I also point out that they will save money and dont have to buy the most expensive food.  I even have a handout I give to them.  I try to get them to read labels.  Often they are shocked to find out that the No. 1 ingredient of the food they are buying is GROUND YELLOW CORN.  Good for a cow, not for a cat.  I tell them good food will save them in vet bills (and I dont want them assuming the expensive food in the vet's office is the best food either, which so many do.)  When I was adopting kittens out of Petco, someone who was playingwith them commented on how soft they were and said their cats didn't feel that way, what special thing did we give them?  I pointed out they got wet food that was meat based and grain-free kibble as a snack and the result was these silky coats.  Petco is one of the more expensive pet stores, and I noticed she was buying one of the better foods for her dog, so I asked what she fed her cats.  She replied, oh just anything that's on sale at the super market.  I pointed to her quality dog food and asked why the cats didn't get the same quality and she was appalled - not angry, but just surprised that she absolutely never thought about it.  She went right back down the aisle and got some very good cat food right then.