Chartreux (?) that loves to talk!

neeners311

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, this is my first post to this site!
I was looking up information about "Steely Dan" my cat whom I believe to be a Chartreux; and came across this site.
Well, while scouring the internet the more info I read about this breed of cat the more it sounded exactly like Steely Dan...everything that is, except that every site said Chartreuxs are very, very quiet cats. Steely Dan loves to talk. It's a very unusual little high pitched meow. Sometimes it is a definite chirp. But he is always talking, He loves to answer me anytime I speak to him, and also before engaging in anything...from jumping on the bed, to running out of the room, to being fed - he needs to talk and talk... and talk!

My question is, although I know each and every cat has his own personality - does anyone else have a talkative Chartreux? I will post pics of him when I can upload some, sometime soon, as it is purely speculation that he even is a Chartreux. Though I am pretty much convinced that he is.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the site!

Chartreux cats aren't very common, and you're most likely to only get one from a breeder. I'd guess that what you have is a talkative, gorgeous grey Domestic Shorthair kitty

Can't wait to see pics of him in any case, he sounds like a cool kitty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neeners311

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply!
I will definitely put some pics up by tonight. The only reason I feel that he is not a domestic shorthair is that he doesn't really look like one! He has the high set ears, the "woolly" blue fur, the copper eyes, and even a stouter build to his body, as well as the personality traits mentioned of the Chartreux breed...but as I am no expert - once I post pics of him you can tell me what you think! I appreciate your feedback!

neeners311

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here are the best pics I could come up with (the last is from my cell...a little dark) He seems to be a bit camera shy...it was funny trying to get a head on shot of him

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to agree with the others, he's just a very very pretty DSH. DSHs come in different coat types - from very short overall, to slightly longer with a fluffier undercoat. Unless your kitty comes from a breeder, you rarely ever end up with a purebred. (there are rare exceptions of people losing their purebreds outside and people finding them stray or raided BYBers, though)

I'm curious, what sort of collar is Steely Dan (!
) wearing? From the pictures it looks a lot like a flea collar - if that's what it is, please remove it. They're not safe for you or the cat.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since they are so uncommon, he's probably not a Chartreux at all. But he's a very handsome domestic sh. I think I've only seen less then a handful of Chartreux at cat shows in the past 25+ yrs of showing!

neeners311

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He wore a collar before I took him in. He does not wear one now. I really hope not everyone fels the need to point out things like that...because it comes off a bit pompous, smug and insulting! I may not know the breed of my cat but I know how to care for him.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nobody is trying to be pompous or insulting. I'm sure strange_wings only pointed it out because flea collars really are yucky things, and many people out there just don't know that because pet stores keep on selling them. It was only pointed out for the potential benefit of you and handsome Steely Dan

neeners311

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, you're right....I'm sure she was just looking out for my cat. It just rubbed me the wrong way! Haha. Anyway, I appreciate all the replies so far. I looked up pics of the breed, and they look like a carbon copy of him...and he does the high pitched meow and chirp...but either way he is a handsome, funny, affectionate boy.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neeners311

The only reason I feel that he is not a domestic shorthair is that he doesn't really look like one!
There is no look or standard for a moggie, they are all different and unique.

Your boy is lovely

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, you're right....I'm sure she was just looking out for my cat. It just rubbed me the wrong way!
We get a lot of new members that have/are using flea collars and other OTC flea control products when they join. There are even a few that have been around a while and get tempted by the products to save money.

And yes, I was only concerned for you and your cat. The pesticides on flea collars will come off onto the cats fur and everything it comes in contact with - and can potentially poison children that way. Side effects for cats can vary between fur loss to death.

If you took the warning the wrong way, really that's your problem.
Lots of people get offended when they join here and are told to take their sick cat to the vet/spay, neuter/ don't declaw, etc.

neeners311

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for looking out for the well being of my cat I do sincerely appreciate that!

The reason it rubbed me the wrong way is that it just came off rather condescending, that's all. As if from what little I have posted you were able to discern that I have no knowledge of cat care. Having cats (among other animals) all my life, I am pretty knowledgeable about proper and correct cat care, and when I'm not sure about something - you'd better believe I am at the Vet!
The thing is just because I am a newbie to this board doesn't mean I am a newbie to animals (maybe a newbie to recognizing different breeds though
) I just wanted some opinions on Steely Dan's breed.
Well, let's let bygones be bygones. I'm sorry I was sensitive to your advice - I'm sure there are many newbies on this board that truly don't know what is the healthiest for their cat - and I understand your intentions were only the best.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not sure if you are new to message boards in general, but I have found over the years that it helps to post 'defensively'. A quick explanation about how the pictures are old and he/she no longer wears a collar would have halted any commentary.

People don't know anything about us when we post, and they really are reacting for the best interests of the cat.

On a different note. I was in Zellers shopping and a small family was in the pet section. I heard the husband say, oh pick up some flea stuff - and I am too nervous around strangers to say anything but I really felt like following them and explaining how that stuff doesn't work.

As to the cat, I befriended a small stray grey/blue coloured cat at a rental place I lived at. It took months to get her to come in and let us pet her. She was really pretty and we called her smoky.

neeners311

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Sohni...I am rather new to message boards, or at least pet message boards! In my haste to put up some decent pics of Steely Dan I honestly didn't even think about having to explain anything, all those pics (save the last that I took with my cell) were from before he was my cat...I'll be sure to be VERY careful with explaining myself from now on.

P.S. I grew up with a cat named Smoky!!! He was my neighbors cat. I would visit my neighbors all the time (our families were great friends) and play with him - he was a grey tabby

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

As if from what little I have posted you were able to discern that I have no knowledge of cat care.
You were projecting your feelings, then.
What I say is pretty much what I mean, no hidden meanings or motives. I warn people all the time on here if they mention something that could be bad - tails and ears on mouse toys, bells and so on. It's never meant to infer that someone doesn't know anything, it's just a plain old warning.
It's actually something you'll see a lot of out of different people.

I really hope that you do stay around share more pictures of Steely Dan here, though. Maybe get him in the sunlight so you can show his beautiful grey fur?

neeners311

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah, like I said...I was a little sensitive

BUT I think it's all been cleared up!! I will definitely stay on here - I would love to post more pics of Steely Dan ( I need to get my camera back from the canon people..battery issues) which is why I could only put up the pics that I did. I also have another beautiful girl named Nisha that I would love to post pictures of as well!

smokeyz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i think your cat looks like my cat smokey who i also think is a chartreux