Charlie

MichaelW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys I am new to this website and looking for some cat advice.

Last year I moved away from home to a small town in Eastern Washington. This was the first time living alone. I got lonely and purchased my first kitten, Charlie! I did not understand how much he would change my life for the better. having a friend when no one else was around truly meant a lot to me. I took Charlie home to my single bedroom apartment that is decent in size. He is not allowed to go outside due to my apartment being on the 2nd level. I could go on and on about how amazing Charlie is but I want to get straight to the point. Early March I was forced to live with my parents due to Covid-19. Charlie is now 8 months old but took the move rather smoothly. My parents house is extremely large with room for him to run around, hide, and play. He even goes outside and back in with ease. He absolutely LOVES it outside. I can see in his eyes the joy it brings him to be able to run around and be free. At the same time he always follows me around and does not trust any human besides me, I love this about him. I feel like most cat owners will verify that just like kids, they act, sound, and move differently when other people are around. Charlie truly loves me. He greets me every morning no matter what room I am in. We have a connection.

The problem is this.. I need to move back (5 hours away) and I do not know the best way to approach this. Yes he loves me more than anyone but I honestly see him being a lot happier in this big house with a beautiful back yard. We have chickens and he will spend all day in the hot sun rolling around, starring at the chickens, and being a cat. He loves to go outside and lay in the garden and he even made a cat friend he plays with! In my apartment he lounges most of the day and sleeps a lot more with not a whole lot to do. He has no other friends to play with or any outside activities...This is such a tough decision I don't know where else to go. Can anyone help me with advice or anything?

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I can only provide an opinion. First of all I hope you got him neutered and vaccinated. You could try leaving him there is they will care for him they way you would since 5 hours isn't really that long of a drive overall.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MichaelW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Charlie is neutered and vaccinated !

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is really selfless of you to think about his happiness, but I honestly think he will be happier with you. Yes, he loves the outdoors, but as you said: "We have a connection." and that is a wonderful and rare thing to happen between two different species. He is still only a kitten so it is not like you are forcing him to leave a situation that he has been in for years. For example: when I left for L.A., I left my cat, Thai Yang, behind at my parents house because I didn't think it was fair for him to have to live in a cramped apartment when he had been use to a large house. (He also was an indoor/outdoor cat). But my cat was 9 years old, quite different than your little guy. You can always harness train him so he can enjoy the outdoors. I think he will adjust to any living situation as long as he is with the human he loves the best.