Charlie: The Food Trial Diaries (ibd / Food Allergy (sensitivity) Or Stress)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We gotta do what we gotta do, especially with his history. And hopefully having the camera can let you relax a bit, since you won't be worried about jumping up every time you think he's going to use the box?
Hooray for him eating!! The small victories on the road to winning the war :)
Yup we gotta do what we gotta do. *nods*

It's actually a really good game. I'm pleasantly surprised. Most cameras I've had before were always so-so. (I have one facing the back of the house due to some small issues previously.) I absolutely LOATH cameras in the house watching people. These ones you can pause from the app, turning them off and on at will. I work at a place where I have camera on all the time. They've been hacked before and I've had strangers watching me, plus others on steady basis. It wouldn't be an understatement to say that while I respect the positive use of cameras - I've seen and experiences first hand their mis-use and mostly not a fan.

The camera is helping in this case for sure. I saw him pee last night after I tricked him by cleaning the litter box *giggles* and this morning too. I'll have to lengthen the record time while sleeping because it wasn't quite enough time to see it fully. It's an easy adjust though. I think this was a good decision.

Eating for sure ifs good. I take the small wins.

Dang, Charlie!!
*nods* He went after BH again this morning. I think I might need to ramp up his play time in the morning to try to get rid of his energy.

It's interesting cat Psychology / Behaviorism atm. I might post another thread about it as I've never read anything like this where a cat systemically goes through other cats, one at a time, over a LONG period to establish his dominance. I mean the three girls have been in the house coming on two years this summer and literally he's done this one at a time. Once he gets okay with one - no matter how long it takes, it attention then moves to the next. WTH Charlie.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I had thought to do the camera sooner. This is awesome. Boy though, people aren't kitty when they say litter boxes are a "socially significant spot". I can now tell you the times of day it's most used lol and for how long.

The camera can indifferent sets. I bought a set of two in case I really didn't like them - now I'm kinda wishing I had done more. One to replace the back outside camera with. I might do that still. Not to expensive and I'm fairly impressed. Blink XT2.

The second on I placed in the food area for the moment and now have confirmed suspicions. Charlie has been sneaky bites of his old food when I feed it to the girls in their rotation.

After he had his fit the other day, I checked him out several times and didn't see, or feel anything. I checked him out again yesterday morning and there is a small two inch patch on his back leg that is raw like before. He waits until there is only a mouthful or more left and he eats it. The little minx! It's not a lot but still. So either 1. He's developed an allergy to the new food and please please noooo or 2. the tiny bits he's sneaky were enough to trigger his allergy.

So mama needs to be REALLY careful as I've obviously failed to notice. I really didn't think much of the tiny bit of food the girls left. Apparently I should have been more diligent lately and I wasn't.

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't beat yourself up! It's really hard to police that all the time, especially when they are determined to eat the thing that is bad for them.
In my experience, just a little can trigger the allergic response. May not be as bad, but once the allergen is in the system, the system reacts :(

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anyone try royal canin hydrolyzed protein, I might be trying the multifunction with so index...

Oliver grooms himself so much, scratches, shakes his head, his head shaking started couple months back...Sad I have money but dont know wth to do....He already on gastrointestinal for his cystitis which he had two years ago now and constipation....

Jesus.....I try cbd oil, omegease omega 3 oil, hes on pet wellbeing itch support gold now...
I think he has food allergys and anxiety compulsions

I started walking him in my yard on harness every evening and he doesnt groom himself at all out in the yard...Sometimes he stops himself mid movement going to lick himself outside....Hes like “ok i think ill lick myself, Oh wait I have better things to do out here”

meow meow meow meow harassing me to go outside right now

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not when he's not overgrooming outside.

he doesnt groom himself at all out in the yard
I think there's something environmental inside the house.

Scented air freshener, scented candles, all spray/aerosol cleaners, new furniture or carpet, scented laundry detergent and dryer sheets (try wool balls), new bath or kitchen mat, scented hand soaps and lotions, scented shaving creams, live plants, work shop or hobby fumes such as glues and finishes, scented litter, renovation work, glues, paints...

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well hes only outside for say 30 minutes on a leash and his attention is literally everywhere, like attacking lizards, eating grass, non stop exploring...I think theres so much interesting things he does not bother with compulsive grooming....I dunno, cant groom anyway cause he has a red bandana vest on covering most on his body lol

Im trying to get my vet to approve the hydrolyzed food and I will try for 3 months,

By the way how much was your vet charging for the SO + Hydrolyzed Royal Canin?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are things in your world?
Furballsmom Furballsmom

*tackle hugs you virtually*

My deepest apologies for the extreme lateness of my reply. There have been a lot of factors that kept me away the past months, including tech issues that I think have finally been resolved. (I could see the site and read but not post and it wasn't on the sites end.) Turns out it was the internet connection - it got nicked and was unstable causing bizarre issues. THe Covid-19 hasn't helped either as we've been prepping the infrastructure for the last couple months in prep of issues.

Charlie is doing okay. Not stellar, but okay.

We just brought him in for his check up. Blood in the urine again but no infection this time. His breathing is crap still. (I think I wrote when I brought him in a couple months ago as he starting seeming in poor shape and it was determined he still has a lot of inflammation.) This time we had to put him on metacam for 5 days. It helped. So watch, wait and see really.

Poor thing had to have a mask put him him as he was growling. H licked the mask and came back foaming at the mouth, puked and then pooped on the floor of the Doctors exam room. She took it so well and said - at least I got to see him poop! She's such a trooper.

Food - yup - still fails. Fails and more fails. I did find one more he's touchy on. He goes yes and no to it. I can't sort the math for the phosphorus level though. It's Blue wilderness Salmon Recipe (wet)

Their Doctor just went on maternity leave on saturday. She was such a trooper - worked right up until her last day even through the Covid-19. I worry for her and I can't wait to hear that her and baby are perfect. She's Due April 19th. At the same time I'm going feel so lost without her.

Bravehearts has some issues too that she just got rushed into the Doctor for. I'll post in her thread about that.

Anyone try royal canin hydrolyzed protein, I might be trying the multifunction with so index...

Oliver grooms himself so much, scratches, shakes his head, his head shaking started couple months back...Sad I have money but dont know wth to do....He already on gastrointestinal for his cystitis which he had two years ago now and constipation....

Jesus.....I try cbd oil, omegease omega 3 oil, hes on pet wellbeing itch support gold now...

I started walking him in my yard on harness every evening and he doesnt groom himself at all out in the yard...Sometimes he stops himself mid movement going to lick himself outside....Hes like “ok i think ill lick myself, Oh wait I have better things to do out here”

meow meow meow meow harassing me to go outside right now
Burts Burts

Again I apologize to you for the super late reply too.

Oliver sounds like almost a mirror of Charlie in many of the symptoms. I truly feel you here. He's a super high strung cat too and that does not help either.

Keep in mind that constipation can come from urine issues. They hold their poop when it's uncomfortable to pee and that ends in constipation. It's like a vicious Circle!

I have Charlie on the Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein SO with Multi function. It has seemed to help keep him somewhat stable. The problem is that he is a picky eat and won't eat enough of it so I have to find other things to feed him as well. So if Oliver will eat it - give it a go. Especially if it's a food allergy.

Do you know how to do a food allergy trial? If not we can teach you.

Not when he's not overgrooming outside.

I think there's something environmental inside the house.

Scented air freshener, scented candles, all spray/aerosol cleaners, new furniture or carpet, scented laundry detergent and dryer sheets (try wool balls), new bath or kitchen mat, scented hand soaps and lotions, scented shaving creams, live plants, work shop or hobby fumes such as glues and finishes, scented litter, renovation work, glues, paints...
I agree here. I know there is an environmental issues that bothers Charlie too and I think it's dust. No matter how much I clean this is a dusty area.

Any environmental things you can ID for Oliver?

Well hes only outside for say 30 minutes on a leash and his attention is literally everywhere, like attacking lizards, eating grass, non stop exploring...I think theres so much interesting things he does not bother with compulsive grooming....I dunno, cant groom anyway cause he has a red bandana vest on covering most on his body lol

I'm trying to get my vet to approve the hydrolyzed food and I will try for 3 months,

By the way how much was your vet charging for the SO + Hydrolyzed Royal Canin?
Did you end of trying the food?

I pay (Canadian) $65.00 plus taxes (so $73.45) for 6.6 pound (3 kg) bag.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:bouquet::heartshape:

She took it so well and said - at least I got to see him poop! She's such a trooper.
Lol, oh my gosh!

No matter how much I clean this is a dusty area.
I know, me too. I tried an air cleaner for a while but I wasn't all that impressed, but maybe new models would do better for Charlie, and Burts Burts for Oliver?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:bouquet::heartshape:

Lol, oh my gosh!

I know, me too. I tried an air cleaner for a while but I wasn't all that impressed, but maybe new models would do better for Charlie, and Burts Burts for Oliver?

Yeah it was pretty funny and for the first time ever he didn't clot well and was bleeding after the bloodwork was taken. So she got to see ALL his bodily fluids that visit lol. She's so good to him.

I did too with the air cleaner. Tried all sorts of things and wasn't too impressed.

Within the next year I'll have to replace the furnace and I'm seriously looking into adding a hepa filter directly to it. The research breaks my brain though.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we're back to more issues here too. I got him to begrudging eat one other food now. So 3 total. Two of them hit and miss both Salmon and neither I can find out certain info on but I'll keep trying.

That Duck and Pea - the only one he will eat for sure - welp I can't get his food again. I've spent over a month calling PetSmart - I have to say frustrating company. No one can tell me what's going all. Calls to head office both in Canada and the US go unanswered. 23 different extensions. Nadda. I'm passed / past frustrated with them.

Calls to 5 different stores, only one, an hour away is even being remotely helpful. I'll be following up with them again tomorrow.

I'm pulling out my hair. I am down to two cases of it with no answers. Can't order it online, can get in anywhere in southern Ontario. All the stores are empty. My local one doesn't even have the sticker on the shelf and hasn't for the last month - and no one can get answers. I might be able to get answers if I could get a hold of head office - but like I said 23 extensions - nothing.

One CS rep on the phone try to get me to feed him only pumpkin :-\ God I hope she was joking. I even had to explain to her that it was a supplement and not a food. Please, please I hope she was kidding, I think she was, I really hope no one is that crazy lol

*sigh*

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I SO hate to say this, and not that you haven't already thought of this but it sounds as though the manufacturer may have made some kind of impactful change and stopped production of this food...:(

I can't tell for sure from your post but have you tried the manufacturer directly, or is that the one with 23 extensions?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unh! I understand the frustration. I have run into similar cat food issues in the past and satisfaction just wasn’t happening. What brand of food are you giving him?
Pumpkin only? Seriously? Hopefully she was just offering the only help she could imagine? If not, maybe you educated her? If not, got her number? ;)
Maybe others who know your area could suggest a source for the food. Is it Royal Canin still?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I SO hate to say this, and not that you haven't already thought of this but it sounds as though the manufacturer may have made some kind of impactful change and stopped production of this food...:(

I can't tell for sure from your post but have you tried the manufacturer directly, or is that the one with 23 extensions?
Yup that is the one with 23 extensions unanswered. I've left a message for reception once a week - not a peep. They are the manufacturer. :-(

The store an hour away was the only one willing to place an order and see what came back. We are sadly thinking the same thing, discontinued... but calls to CS are insisting that it's still there because - and I say this with great sarcasm ... it's still on their website.

I hate to tell them - but have they seen their website? Half the stuff isn't online, the other half the time its wrong and my favorite one is the lawsuit ready to happen...ready for this:

They listed two Blue buffalo ones as chicken and poultry free.

Let me show you...

Blue Buffalo Healthy Gourmet Pate Adult Cat Food - Salmon | cat Wet Food | PetSmart

Blue Buffalo Healthy Gourmet Adult Pate Cat Food - Oceanfish & Tuna | cat Wet Food | PetSmart

Go ahead look at the description - then look at the ingredients. I verified on Blue Buffalos site - oh darn straight their is chicken in it. I am concerned someone will buy those without looking at the ingredients and verifying the claim.

Sorry this is a bit of a vent but wow - frustrating.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unh! I understand the frustration. I have run into similar cat food issues in the past and satisfaction just wasn’t happening. What brand of food are you giving him?
Pumpkin only? Seriously? Hopefully she was just offering the only help she could imagine? If not, maybe you educated her? If not, got her number? ;)
Maybe others who know your area could suggest a source for the food. Is it Royal Canin still?
Yeah - incredibly frustrating as I expected better from them. They own Chewy too, but I can't order from them in Canada. The boarder is still pretty shut so I can't even drive over to my favorite neighbor to take a peak around.

The wet food is Simply Nourish Duck and Pea - it's not the best but it's wet food and he'll eat it. It's way to high in fat too for my liking but he has to eat.

LOL I did educate her. I think at first she was serious until she realized what it was. (She was trying to be helpful bless her heart.)

The dry food he is eating still, small amounts, the Royal Canin Multifunction one, but if they keep messing with that I might have him on strike again. I hate that food too and the fact it's dry makes it worse. He won't starve - yet - but we know what will happen if I can't get something else.

STRIKE STRIKE STRIKE *sigh* Charlie.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Certain cat food has been in short supply here too. I have been having to physically go on a search for what Mackie needs. Other flavors of the brand are available and they have huge supplies of their dog food! The prices are soaring if I do find it. :livid: Time to start growing our own? Lol If I could, I would! I have been told that trucks can still enter with supplies there soooo... thinking manufacturing shortages. Don’t really know. I am on the search for new foods for Mackie too. Hoping that things improve. They had gotten better for awhile so maybe they will again.:alright: