Charlie: The Food Trial Diaries (ibd / Food Allergy (sensitivity) Or Stress)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another user going through food allergies mentioned this thread and that reminded me to update you all. Bad me.

Charlie hasn't go back yet for a check. He will be in the new year regardless if I've manged to change his food or not.

With that said - nope - kitty started to go on a hunger strike within days of only getting the dry.

I've tried I can't even list the number of foods and most are a no go with him. The only one that's been remotely successful of course is a fish one. So &^$ :censored:

I'll keep trying. I think even if I can get one decent food into him and keep the duck too it'll be good enough to see what's going on.

So far he's peeing fine *knock on wood* and I'm stalking him to the bathroom every day. His skin issues haven't come back. Small mercies.

I think he's got a cold as his snoring is pretty bad when he sleeps on one side and the Asthma inhaler is doing nothing for that so I'm thinking cold.

When he goes back in for his check I'll be sure to ask her to take a listen to his lungs and ticker. I really hope it's just a cold and not the HCM kicking up.

Well done F FeralHearts . All that effort has paid off. I'm sure both you and Charlie are feeling relieved. Long may it continue.
Going through the posts I see I missed this one. I'm so sorry V verna davies Thank you so much for this and yes very relieved at a lot of it. Progress of any kind in these situations is so good. I wish it was a bit longer lived

Miles to go with a few still. .. with BH too - but we'll get there. I have good peeps around me liek you!

XOXOXOXOX

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is terrific to hear, good on you and him!!
Thank you XO

:-) Still knocking on wood though as you and I both know how this goes. I say "Looking he's doing great" then tomorrow we end up at ER cause he's made a lair out of me.

So yeah *knocks on wood realllllly hard*

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fingers crossed for just a cold, or maybe a reaction to the weather changing? (at least in my part of the country it *just* turned winter-like). Yay for normal peeing, and I am sending all the "good eating" vibes I can to y'all so Charlie cooperates!

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What are you saying - momma needs therapy? :flail:Probably after this last year, yes. LMAO Seriously though thank you for the healing energy XOXOX

XOXOXO
Noo not what I was saying at all! I meant for him :)

Glad to hear things are going well (also knocking on wood).

I read up on the posts since the one I quoted above and I do kind of agree with you - it seems a bit odd to me to put a cat with crystals on only dry food. I'm glad you're working with your vet on it and they're willing to let you try the other wet food, its important to have two-way communication happening. You know Charlie better than anyone.

(My vet also advised I put Amber on Fiber dry food only for her constipation but I maintained that wet food would only help her so we're doing a combo of wet food and dry fiber food.)

Are you at the stage of looking for another new wet food that he can have? Let us know if you need any assistance brainstorming. I can't remember, but did you ever look into or try kangaroo? I've heard some people have had great results with it and I think you can get it in Canada through Rayne.

Wishing you good thoughts!!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to say that I'm a little overwhelmed today.

Charlie - won't eat his food - he will eats the girls food atm - which is what he's allergic too. (His old food.) They don't always get his old food but it is in their rotation.

I will admit I let him eat a bit of it today to get food in him. His breathing is crap. He's constipated and looks depressed. He is peeing so that's great! I somehow erased or lost the spreadsheet for charlies food that had the fifty bazillion ones I tried to feed him and failed with but that's okay. I don't mind starting again. Might be a good thing.

White label - has three puncture marks now from Charlie's attacks. Not bad, but they are scabbing so he did puncture her. :-(

Braveheart - had diarrhea this morning (with one piece of solid) either from the Doxycycline for her pillow foot or stress as there was an incident the other night. So I had to give her metro-what-ever for that. To which she was realllllyyy displeased with. I think it's worse tasting then the doxy but her reaction. Luckily for me she's very forgiving and was over it after about 10 minutes.

Mia - Still fat. Won't lose weight. I'm now having to wipe her butt every other day as she's not cleaning properly.

:censored::frustrated::frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

Tonight when I get home from work (after I feed and take care of the kitties) I'm having a nice LONG bubble bath and tea.

Fingers crossed for just a cold, or maybe a reaction to the weather changing? (at least in my part of the country it *just* turned winter-like). Yay for normal peeing, and I am sending all the "good eating" vibes I can to y'all so Charlie cooperates!
It just turned winter here too. Not a fan of winter. The house is a bit dry to so maybe I should go get a humidifier for the room he spend the most time in. A small one, so I can move it around. That might help. I'm starting to get worried though as he's gone off the only food he was eating. The only treats he eats (pure bites salmon) smell like chemicals instead of salmon (the last three bags) and he's gone off those too and he's really constipated.

I gave him kitty milk yesterday and he snubbed his nose. I gave him a tiny bit of real milk (two - three tablespoons)- which - is bad for him - but can loosen stools because it upsets the tummy. He did drink that.

Still peeing well so YAY! That's a biggie.

Thank you for the good vibes - we need them atm.

Noo not what I was saying at all! I meant for him :)

Glad to hear things are going well (also knocking on wood).
LOL mama gonna need therapy too soon though.

Keep knocking on that wood please.

I read up on the posts since the one I quoted above and I do kind of agree with you - it seems a bit odd to me to put a cat with crystals on only dry food. I'm glad you're working with your vet on it and they're willing to let you try the other wet food, its important to have two-way communication happening. You know Charlie better than anyone.

(My vet also advised I put Amber on Fiber dry food only for her constipation but I maintained that wet food would only help her so we're doing a combo of wet food and dry fiber food.)
She's a really great vet and that's probably the only reason tbh that I'm trying to comply. If she was anyone else it would be a different story.

I really hate this dry food as it's soy. I do understand the theory - it's formulated for SO and it's hydrolyzed proteins so it's suppose to care for both issues. He likes it - which - is nothing but shy of being an absolutely miracle but he won't eat a lot of it.

What I find strange is that in his 7 years he never got crystals until being stressed out. The first time by a lot of Vet visits with ultrasound, xrays and tests. His first several urine tests were only bacteria. It wasn't until after that he got the crystals. He was clean. I then changed the food. He was fine. Then the kitchen reno happened. (A wall was torn out and another one built - loads of noise, loads of strange people coming and going.) He lost his mind again and *BOOM* the Crystals came back. So from my logic head it's more likely the stress rather than the food.

Remember for Amber, you can always add a touch of MiraLAX / RestroLAX to the wet foot to help.

I've always liked a combo of wet and dry for kitties. A LOT less dry though IMHO. It gives us alternatives if things go sideways.

Are you at the stage of looking for another new wet food that he can have? Let us know if you need any assistance brainstorming. I can't remember, but did you ever look into or try kangaroo? I've heard some people have had great results with it and I think you can get it in Canada through Rayne.

Wishing you good thoughts!!
Yes we are at that stage - well were - until the food strike happened. Once his constipation clears (and he's eating properly again) I will begin re-adding food since we now know where the triggers most likely came from.

I actually have /had a theory that I'm not ready to fully test yet as since the past few days he's not really been eating. I'm really wondering if he was allergic to something in the old fiber dry food he had been on. (He was still on wet three times a day with only every a small handful of dry at night - but still.)

I've read about Rayne. It looks really good, save for a couple of the ingredients, like sweet potatoes. As Charlie as rejected, Beef, Tuna, most duck, save for the one he's also not eating now *sigh*, Rabbit and venison. I'm pretty much willing to try anything.Thank you - I'll ask his vet this week and see what she thinks.

I haven't been able to find a pork one yet that I can get here (really want to avoid that as normally high fat) but he has to eat. Sooo...

I found another specify store that I'll check out too and see if there are other things.

He rejected Asian Fusion from Weuva the other day, but as he's constipated, and that will contribute to his poor appetite, I will try that again once he feels better.

After the holidays I think I'm going to take a drive into the US for some things he can try that I can't get here. I'm lucky enough to be literally right at the border.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Charlie, Charlie, Charlie

When he gets "stuck" like this regarding food, (I apologise I don't recall from upthread) he won't consider accepting any form of handfeeding? Or a different dish like a flat paper plate?

Did you have a chance to try music for him?

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Charlie gets "stuck" like this regarding food, (I apologise I don't recall from upthread) he won't consider accepting any form of handfeeding? Or a different dish like a flat paper plate?
No worries - I can't recall half of it either - I have to go back and re-read ... a lot. lol

A different dish or plate he will look at you like - "What. Do you think I care? I'm not eating that no matter how you dress it up." I, however, have not tried hand feeding in this situation. Sitting with him while he eats will sometimes help. I am happy to try to hand feed him and see if he responds. I'll do that tonight at dinner.

We have a ritual every night. I get into bed, I start messing with my alarm, he hears that and saunters in and hops up on the bed. (I have a few treats in my hand.) I have to give him one by one - or else. For three days now he does everything as normal BUT takes the treats, one chew and spits out. :-\

Stage two of our ritual is that he waits 10 - 20 minutes, begins to cry, I call him, he comes in and pops onto the bed. He hits my hand to his head. I must pet him from head to tail. He will turn around, hit my hand with his head again and I must pet him - head to tail. Usually, we do this about 3 - 4 times. Then he piles himself into a ball and sleeps beside my head or side. If I DARE turn my back to him to sleep on my other side - he leaves in a huff. At least that part of the ritual is intact.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie, Charlie, Charlie

Did you have a chance to try music for him?
I know right. :-(

Oh, he lovessss the music. It will work 50% of the time. Never for eating but when he's in a mood. The other 50% he like "Imma on a mission of terror. Stand aside messily hooman!".

What I tell ya - the second we even hint that all might be okay. He does something... it's like he knowssssss.

Charlie baby!! Help your mama out and EAT :)

Yes, listen to Furballsmom Furballsmom you need sustenance!!

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I bit the bullet and called the Vet and left a message for his Doctor with the practice manager requesting an order of Raynes. I've left it up to the vet to determine which wet she wants him to try - diagnostics or maintenance. I did ask for both Rabbit and Kangaroo proteins though. It doesn't hurt for him to try another brand of Rabbit. Should he hate it - I know that Braveheart will be pleased with it.

She might say no to both for whatever reason - but I'll defer to her for what she thinks is best for Mr. Royalty.

They'll call me when it's in.

In the meantime, I'll keep plugging away with him.

:-)

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nooo :( I read this thread and came back and saw this! :( Darn, I'm sorry.

I'm glad he's peeing but I hope he eats soon. Can you try any baby foods to get calories in him? Though they are probably all proteins he can't have...

For pork foods - I think most of the Royal Canin (I know you are probably not a fan) are all pork-based but they may have chicken. I'm sure there are lots of others out there, too.

Can he have/will he eat salmon? I knew one vet once who insisted salmon was the best protein you could feed a senior cat...
I very much empathize with your struggle for a good food that suits all his needs. I hope you find something that will work for him again this time!

Let us know what the response re Rayne is. I know it can be expensive unfortunately :(

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nooo :( I read this thread and came back and saw this! :( Darn, I'm sorry.

I'm glad he's peeing but I hope he eats soon. Can you try any baby foods to get calories in him? Though they are probably all proteins he can't have...

For pork foods - I think most of the Royal Canin (I know you are probably not a fan) are all pork-based but they may have chicken. I'm sure there are lots of others out there, too.
Thank you!

There is chicken in everything - very frustrating. If need be I will allow him to take a few bites of the allergy food and suck it up - if we get desperate. Hopefully we don't get to that though.

The more I read about nutrition and cats the less I'm a fan of most things tbh. I'll suck it up to get him healthy though.

I did what Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested last night and hand fed him some of the dry food and he took a bit more. So YAY!

So far he's eating enough to be "okay" but it's dangerously teetering on "not okay". I'm really shocked that he went off his treats though. I've noticed some weird issues with the last few bags so I'm going to get in touch with the manufacturer and see what's up with that. They smell "chemical" is the only way to describe it and almost a burnt smell (like overdried?). I've also found a few of those silicon bags inside the bags which was weird and three times now the crumbs have jabbed into me like little needles. I suspect some sharp small bones. (It's Salmon purebites.)

Can he have/will he eat salmon? I knew one vet once who insisted salmon was the best protein you could feed a senior cat...
I very much empathize with your struggle for a good food that suits all his needs. I hope you find something that will work for him again this time!
He LOVES salmon. Even with that though he is brand picky. While I don't want him on all fish - that may end up being a plan. From what the Doctors have told me and the research, fish is bot good and bad depending on the kitties condition. The Omega in fish is AWESOME for kitties and unlike what we were told years ago - it doesn't cause crystals. If a cat is predisposed to get them - it can aggravate but not cause. You also have to watch out for the source with fishes. *sigh* Nothing is straight up.

*nods* @ empathize - speaking of which - how is miss Sidney doing?

Let us know what the response re Rayne is. I know it can be expensive unfortunately :(
I will for sure. I suspect he's going to snub his nose but it's worth a try. Maybe he'll make a liar out of me again, and I'm okay with that.

Yes - quite pricey. If he likes either at all though - then at least we have something to put in the rotation for his wet.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's bad!!
Yeah. I email them two days ago and I've not heard back about it. We go through A LOT of those in this house. They are suppose to be a decent treat for the kitties.

Hand feeding was messy as &*( but it worked. It took forever - but in doing so I managed to get enough fiber and miraLAX in him that I think we've almost go the constipation under control and naturally that helped his appetite. He started eating bits on his own again.

PHEW so thank you!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PS - I didn't tell you the worst of the purebites fiasco. Not only have they smelled like chemicals and like a burn, but I found several silicone drying bags in them (they've never been in them before) AND I've actually pricked my finger on what I can only describe as sharp bones in the bottom of the bag. More than once. Not to the bleeding point of injury but it did sting a lot. Like a small needle prick. So of course that kinda set me a bit as whatever that sharp bit was could be in their mouths.

Very weird.

Last edited:

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is chicken in everything - very frustrating. If need be I will allow him to take a few bites of the allergy food and suck it up - if we get desperate. Hopefully we don't get to that though.

The more I read about nutrition and cats the less I'm a fan of most things tbh. I'll suck it up to get him healthy though.

I did what Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested last night and hand fed him some of the dry food and he took a bit more. So YAY!
Arrgh darn chicken. Its so frustrating trying to find foods without it...

Oh I'm glad to hear he would eat hand fed food both times you mentioned!! That's really great if it helps him get a kickstart and can lead to him eating on his own :) Well done! and great suggestions Furballsmom Furballsmom :)

He LOVES salmon. Even with that though he is brand picky. While I don't want him on all fish - that may end up being a plan. From what the Doctors have told me and the research, fish is bot good and bad depending on the kitties condition. The Omega in fish is AWESOME for kitties and unlike what we were told years ago - it doesn't cause crystals. If a cat is predisposed to get them - it can aggravate but not cause. You also have to watch out for the source with fishes. *sigh* Nothing is straight up.

*nods* @ empathize - speaking of which - how is miss Sidney doing?
That might be true. I would not be comfortable feeding exclusively salmon, either. But if he likes it, it could be worth trying to add in as a rotation meal! Then again, I added a seafood to Amber's routine recently and she had very uncharacteristic diarrhea after (VERY rarely does she get diarrhea!) so that might not be happening anymore even though she loved it... :/

Well Sidney is in kitty heaven so I hope she is good :)

But Amber is doing well minus the diarrhea the other day. I had a moment the other day though when I was thinking about how she is getting older and I was feeling sad about it. Her fur is starting to get kind of like old cat's fur if you know what I mean...and she's slowed down a lot. :( But there's really no real reason for me to worry, its just what I do. She's doing well! :) she's been extra attached to me lately, she followed me around the house yesterday until I sat down and she claimed my lap.

Please let us know how he's getting on..hoping to hear he's eating on his own again still!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I haven't heard back from purebite at this stage. I'll give them so more time and try again to see what's up. If they fail to reply I might post in a separate thread about it to see if anyone else has had the same experience as of late that I have.

Rayne. The doctor's office got back to me today about the Rayne and unfortunately, the rabbit and kangaroo diets may not be appropriate for urinary issues as they are both just a bit over 2g/1000kcals in phosphorus. They sent me specs for a pork one that Rayne does, and like most of these special food - quality is S%^&. That being said, sometimes we have to take the crap foods, even temporarily because they'll help solve an issue.

As pork is something that Charlie hasn't really had, which, makes it appropriate for his allergies (YAY!) and this Pork one from Rayne has been tested to show that helps with the dissolving and prevention of crystals in urine. I think we're going to give it a go. If he rejects it - well the girls will usually eat it so. Win -win.

As a wee kitten I had to give him chopped ham to get him to eat - so who knows. Might work!

Arrgh darn chicken. Its so frustrating trying to find foods without it...

Oh I'm glad to hear he would eat hand fed food both times you mentioned!! That's really great if it helps him get a kickstart and can lead to him eating on his own :) Well done! and great suggestions Furballsmom Furballsmom :)
Yup. EVIL chicken!

Yes it has. Furballsmom Furballsmom seemed to know what Charlie will do!

It's tough as when they are constipated they don't want to eat and not eating is bad in itself, but, you also can't un-constipate them easy (aka MiraLAX / fiber in the food) to help un-constipate them. Very tricky! He seems to be on the right path again though. Stubborn kitty he is.

That might be true. I would not be comfortable feeding exclusively salmon, either. But if he likes it, it could be worth trying to add in as a rotation meal! Then again, I added a seafood to Amber's routine recently and she had very uncharacteristic diarrhea after (VERY rarely does she get diarrhea!) so that might not be happening anymore even though she loved it... :/
That's one of the issues with many cats and fish - not diarrhea, that was probably the food change - the LOVE it lol to the point of kitty addiction love. I might try adding different seafood's again for Charlie too. :-)

Well Sidney is in kitty heaven so I hope she is good :)

But Amber is doing well minus the diarrhea the other day. I had a moment the other day though when I was thinking about how she is getting older and I was feeling sad about it. Her fur is starting to get kind of like old cat's fur if you know what I mean...and she's slowed down a lot. :( But there's really no real reason for me to worry, its just what I do. She's doing well! :) she's been extra attached to me lately, she followed me around the house yesterday until I sat down and she claimed my lap.

Please let us know how he's getting on..hoping to hear he's eating on his own again still!
DOH! Sorry about that and yes she is perfectly fine in Kitty heaven!

Miss Amberrrr - that's who I meant! :-)

I know what you mean by old cats fur and LOL @" it's just what I do". I'm right there with you with the worry. I look at the kitties sometimes and realize how short time is with them and get bummed. Then I snuggle them more! Time goes by so fast.

It sounds like she's doing very well though. YAY!

Lap claiming is awesome! :-)