Charlie: The Food Trial Diaries (ibd / Food Allergy (sensitivity) Or Stress)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie: The food Trial Diaries 2.0

So having some trouble getting the duck and pea food now. No idea what's going on. The two stores in the area don't seem to have it - yet I've called the manufacturer and there are loads in the warehouse and it's not on the list of discontinued at this point.

I've had trouble with the two stores in the area when certain sales are on. Magically there is no stock. Seems to happen quite a bit. This would be like the 6th time since x-mas that I've noticed it happen with sales items. So I'm hoping it's simply their skullduggery with sales items and not that it's being phased out.

One of the girls was very, very kind and had a bunch brought in from a store an hour away. Bless her heart.

In case it is being phased out (good lord please no) I've started to attempt to adjust.

The one I'm trying right now (just one meal) that has no chicken or turkey in it is:

Nutrience Prairie Red Pate

Higher in fat than the duck believe it or not, but lower carbs. There are a few questionable ingredients for allergies so I'll have to wait and see. Food quality looks good.

I started Wednesday with a fall plate... and... FAIL
Last night I mixed it which is usually an insta fail and although he was hesitant. He ate most of the mix of that and the duck.

Question:

Since I am only going to be adding one new food at a time. *IF* I can get him to accept one - is it three months again and then add a third surprise meal?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ummm, that might be up to him
:flail:to true!

Thing is whether he likes it or not we have to find more than one food that he'll eat. Especially if they discontinue it - which - I tell you right now you - will find me on the floor twitching if that happens.

So the goal is not to screw up and set off an allergy again but gain at least 3 (I would prefer 4) brands/foods that are good for him and that he will eat.

Yeah, I know - I'm asking for a miracle from him. :rolleyes3::paperbag:

PS I'm still looking for a higher protein less fat one from him but so many of them have freakin' chicken or Turkey in them. I have a couple of others you all suggested that I will also try if these fail. Which, probably will lol

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so challenging, hang in there!! :vibes::crossfingers:
XOXO Thank you. I will do.

Good thing I try to buy three weeks or more when can at a time. So there is a bit of a buffer in case of issues.

I can get it online atm too so we aren't at Defcon 1. I'm trying to be smart and avoid that. Pro-active is so much less stress than reactive.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly Charlie puked twice tonight. Not sure what the issue was the first time. It was wet food at dinner. Tonight his dry food, barely digested so maybe scarf-and-barf issue. Going to keep a close watch.

I don't think it was the new added food as I've not given it to him in a few days since he pretty much wasn't eating it.

:-(

You said a mouthful there!!
... Not sure if I intended that pun or not LOL
LOL

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scarf and barf vs something more sinister: is Charlie hungry (almost) immediately after? Krista will want a redo before I clean the carpet if it was a simple scarf and barf. Hairballs, IBD, or something else can potentially put her appetite off for days and usually comes with a grudge to overcome.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The wet food barf I'm not sure as I only found it by stepping on it. It was in one of the torn apart rooms so it was very easy to miss. That is until.... squish... ewww.

The dry food yes, went right to his wet food like nothing happened and then drank a fair bit of water. He appears hydrated though.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! I see such a huge change in both you and Charlie. It’s wonderful! I don’t know if you have re visited your earliest posts but now.....:woohoo::woo::bunnydance::banana1:
In spite of Charlie strategically placing that last barf, he’s a very different kitty. He’s on a much better diet. He hasn’t eaten Hooman in a while! You have really come a very long way together! I just read the whole thread. Even the posts I had previously read. This is awesome! He looks so great! I also didn’t see a single reference to the kitties having to pick you up off of the floor. Who is the professor writing this thread? :lol: Professor FeralHearts! Bravo!

I saw that the local stores have run short of the food you need. I now have the stores place an order specifically for us. It never hits the store shelves. Maybe the store manager would do that for you. :hellocomputer:

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh wow! I've never seen a photo of Charlie... gosh he is so handsome!! Look at those eyes! Thanks for sharing :)

I don't really have any thing else to add other than support, unfortunately. Sorry he threw up again :( but he has come an awful long way! you've done such a great job with this food transition.

Do you have Identity duck there? It was a fairly new one that was released at my local store in the last 4-5 months I'd say.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sigh. Nevermind I just checked Identity's website and now I don't see duck available for cats, even though I had a can of it. Maybe they stopped making it. And anyway I am sure you've probably looked at just about every duck food out there already!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gracious, Charlie! Not those kinds of "gifts"!
I know right. It was tricky mean of him!

Wow! I see such a huge change in both you and Charlie. It’s wonderful! I don’t know if you have re visited your earliest posts but now.....:woohoo::woo::bunnydance::banana1:
In spite of Charlie strategically placing that last barf, he’s a very different kitty. He’s on a much better diet. He hasn’t eaten Hooman in a while! You have really come a very long way together! I just read the whole thread. Even the posts I had previously read. This is awesome! He looks so great! I also didn’t see a single reference to the kitties having to pick you up off of the floor. Who is the professor writing this thread? :lol: Professor FeralHearts! Bravo!

I saw that the local stores have run short of the food you need. I now have the stores place an order specifically for us. It never hits the store shelves. Maybe the store manager would do that for you. :hellocomputer:

HI! So good to see you XOXO

No, I haven't revisited them - I think I'm a little afraid to. lol We have both certainly changed for the better.

LOL he's taken a few bites of the Hooman but not nearly as much and most of it is redirection aggression rather than anything else. So that's still better than it was. So it's progress. Maybe this time next year I'll be able to post pictures of all the kitties getting along -on a regular basis - and not playing hall monitor with them.

I feel bad for Charlie sometimes, he gets this look like he's not sure of his place anymore, like he's a bit lost and sad. I try to remind him that this is good company for him and there is more than enough love and resources to go around. I hope one day he sees that too.

You weren't kidding when you said he was smart. I'm starting to really see just how smart that boy is. Crazy smart.

It's funny to watch them all speaking this different language to each other. It's like street smarts vs book smarts (indoor vs outdoor). Very different.

Nope - not picking up off the floor but it was close there for a while. I can't say I'm not still exceptionally exhausted. I am. We are close to seeing the other side though. We're working really hard.

Awee professor XOXOX thank you. Really though it's thanks to all of you. His vet even said that she wishes all of her clients were as well informed as I was. That's a testament to you all.

:yeah: :thumbsup:
What a terrific idea :)
I second that. Terrific idea! Jcatbird Jcatbird I will do that this week!

Oh wow! I've never seen a photo of Charlie... gosh he is so handsome!! Look at those eyes! Thanks for sharing :)

I don't really have any thing else to add other than support, unfortunately. Sorry he threw up again :( but he has come an awful long way! you've done such a great job with this food transition.

Do you have Identity duck there? It was a fairly new one that was released at my local store in the last 4-5 months I'd say.
Hi there!! Good to see you too!

Charlie says thank you :-) I hadn't realized you hadn't seen crazy pants. His eyes are this white blue. Really weird. I'll try to get a better pic for you of them. I'm used to seeing bright blue eyes on Siamese, but these are this almost white with a dusting of blue. Like ice.

Support is absolutely welcomed! XO

Thank you - we are working really hard. I so want him to stay stable and healthy. He gained a pound so his vet was like - food reduction time. He's not fat - he's a really long and long legged sleek cat. We are being pro-active with it as if he gains much more it could be an issue.

I've not seen that brand but I will certainly look!

Sigh. Nevermind I just checked Identity's website and now I don't see duck available for cats, even though I had a can of it. Maybe they stopped making it. And anyway I am sure you've probably looked at just about every duck food out there already!
I've look at enough food to make my head explode. Seriously. Not just duck either but more info and suggestions to look are great - since - as we know - he's a picky butthead.

I'll still look for it - who knows might be a weird thing.

I know the outside kitties love one brand called "Cuddles". You can only get it through The tracker supply store in Canada. It's aafco? approved but trying to find details about calories count and other info - really hard. Someone helped me find the manufacturer which is Simmons, but they have yet to reply to my info request.

This food thing - rocket science - I am sure it is!

XOXOXOX

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you are exhausted so you don’t need to respond but I had to. I saw what you listed about Charlie looking sad. I knew from very early on that Charlie is a super intelligent boy. I’ve been an outside observer which gives me a different viewpoint. I’m sure Charlie has had some tough times but I gotta remind you, he knows exactly how to get to Moms’ heart. If he feels the need for a little extra love, I would totally expect him to give you ,”a look!” I see a talented guy playing a beautiful tune on heartstrings! Lol Sweet Charlie. It’s too bad he can’t get all the pets everyone here would like to give him. He’s getting more love than he could ever imagine from you and from us.
We love you Charlie!
Seeing the progress you have made, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he, BH and WL are all sharing the love before much longer.
BTW You have gotten some great help here but you deserve all the credit. You followed through on everything! It’s amazing. It has taken a monumental effort on your part. I truly admire all you have done. :clap2::heartshape:

XOXOXO Now curl up with a kitty and rest. :p

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back on Feb 4 of this year, we began this food adventure together. We are now in September. *Whispers so he doesn't hear me*

- He has not thrown up in months! Months! *knock on wood*
- His weight looks to be stabilizing. (He gained a bit at the start.)
- He has a full butt of hair and full legs of hair with no issues all this time. So we know - whatever he was allergic to has certainly been removed from the situation. FINALLY! YAY!!!!!

I hate doing this to him but I will be starting to add foods in one at a time (whatever he'll eat) soon. I was going to try before and did for a week but I had to stop as he was getting annoyed with me.

He goes to the vet again this upcoming Monday the 9th.

We decided to do one more urine test (poor kitty) and we are going to do blood work again because of the food change. I want to make sure he's getting the nutrition he needs and nothing is missing that I need to add.

I hate both of the foods he is on but I have to remember that this is the start of healing him and we can work on adding things / changing the food to something that is better as we go. All that has to happen is that he needs to keep co-operating (LOL good luck to me) - and I need to go slow and monitor. Once the kitchen is done and his vet visit is over (aka the stressors away) we will begin!

I know you are exhausted so you don’t need to respond but I had to. I saw what you listed about Charlie looking sad. I knew from very early on that Charlie is a super intelligent boy. I’ve been an outside observer which gives me a different viewpoint. I’m sure Charlie has had some tough times but I gotta remind you, he knows exactly how to get to Moms’ heart. If he feels the need for a little extra love, I would totally expect him to give you ,”a look!” I see a talented guy playing a beautiful tune on heartstrings! Lol Sweet Charlie.
You are so right - the more I'm getting to know him (aka watching him like a hawk) the more I realize just how smart he is. He knows - he knows too much!

I watch him with WL when he goes to try to establish his "dominance" with her - he looks at her - looks at me - and I'm like "No charlie. Don't do it." and he stops and walks away from her 80%. The other 20% he looks at me and it's like "Don't care what you say - imma jumping on her!". *sigh* and it's worse because I KNOW he knew what I was saying. lol

It’s too bad he can’t get all the pets everyone here would like to give him. He’s getting more love than he could ever imagine from you and from us.
We love you Charlie!
He would relish that attention. He is one big ham. :rbheart: He loves you guys too! :heartshape:

Seeing the progress you have made, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he, BH and WL are all sharing the love before much longer.
It's getting there!

Charlie knows better than to mess with BH. They swat at eachother if either of them startle the other. They'll lay near each other - BONUS. Within feet even and sleep.

I'm seeing progress here. All the gates are down as of a few weeks ago and 24/7 they are free to mingle together.

WL and Charlie - she's starting to run less but he's try to do the dominate thing - she screams and breaks free runs if she can. A few times it's been a fight I've had to break up. Often she runs if she hears him coming.

For the most part Mia and him and on ok terms. Those two will also lay within feet and sleep. He still jumps on her occasionally and bites the back of her neck. I'm really beginning to wonder if it's not just establishing boss but if there are some hormones left in the girls?

It is progress though. Same room sleeping a lot. No more gates separating them. Yup - we're getting there.

BTW You have gotten some great help here but you deserve all the credit. You followed through on everything! It’s amazing. It has taken a monumental effort on your part. I truly admire all you have done. :clap2::heartshape:

XOXOXO Now curl up with a kitty and rest. :p
Thank you! I truly could not have done it without all of you. XOOXOX :bouquet:

No rest yet. There is some curling up though!

PS Mia came back from her annual a week or so ago - despite being too fat - at over 6.5 years old the vet said she has the blood work of a 2.5 year old. So we're doing something right!

:bouquet: