Charlie: The Food Trial Diaries (ibd / Food Allergy (sensitivity) Or Stress)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's official that she's not crazy about the bone broth but finds it acceptable with liver treats mixed in. I will be mixing it into her food, maybe 1/8 tsp to start, and work my way up as she tolerates it. The more I read about it, the more I'm convinced this needs to be a regular part of her diet and not just a recommendation I make for other IBD cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Day 6: Dry food - not horrible. He ate most of it and we're at a good mix of old and new.

Wet food: Simply Nourish: Duck and pea LID - I think I put a wee too much warm water in it as it was - say it with me -

lol I doctored it with purebites to soak up the water. I think he wanted the reddiwhip but that was not going to soak up the water... and and hour later - he ate it all. WOOT!

There was a little bit of a poop issue. (Which I expect with the change.) Softer and a little sticky I think as he pooped and took off like he was shot out of a cannon poop in toe!

I have some beef bone broth now (thank you mommy). I will start with 1/8 tsp too and work my way up with you. Sadly we can't get the brand you mention - it's only for my US friends. :bawling2: The NY state boarder is like right there! *points* I will drive over and see what I can find.

I think it's official that she's not crazy about the bone broth but finds it acceptable with liver treats mixed in. I will be mixing it into her food, maybe 1/8 tsp to start, and work my way up as she tolerates it. The more I read about it, the more I'm convinced this needs to be a regular part of her diet and not just a recommendation I make for other IBD cats.
Me too. This stuff looks like it's good all around! For many many things!:heartshape:

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:D

Just make sure the beef bone broth doesn't have any added seasonings, onion, garlic, or salt. Carrots are okay. That's in the Butcher's brand.
*nods* :thumbsup: She made it with just beef bones and water as she knew it was for kitties. No salt. Nadda. It's quiet strong I think though.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Day 7:

Dry food - with FortiFlora still - Almost ate the whole thing and most was the yucky Vet diet.

Wet Food: Simply Nourish LID - Duck and Pea - Doctored with pure bites again - he refused the reddiwhip, the Parmesan, and the cantaloupe. Still only one meal change a day. Next week I will up it to two.

I did his regular food with some Beef Broth - he loved loved love it and so did the girls. Cleaned their plates. I did warm the broth and the food.

At least we have some progress - first time ever. I'll take it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got Krista to lick some turkey bone broth off a small plate. But it was still covered in fish flake bribe. I'll take whatever I can get in her until we're done with the antibiotics. She might like the duck and turkey bone broths when she's not feeling so nauseated a lot of the time.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww yay! I'm so happy to hear good things on Charlie's and Krista's progress!! :clap2:

This thread has been helpful for me coming up with ideas to tempt Amber so I just wanted to say thanks!! She had a strike on the wet food (even with the boiled chicken) the last two days, but did nom some baby chicken this morning!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Day 8:

The dry food is almost fully switched, still with FortiFlora though - And so far so good.

Wet food: Simply Nourish - Duck and peas LID no grain - still having to trick him with things but less now than before so progress.

I'm hoping the other wet food will be in this week and we'll try that.

Aww yay! I'm so happy to hear good things on Charlie's and Krista's progress!! :clap2:

This thread has been helpful for me coming up with ideas to tempt Amber so I just wanted to say thanks!! She had a strike on the wet food (even with the boiled chicken) the last two days, but did nom some baby chicken this morning!
Thank you :-)

Good girl AMBER!!!!!!!!

Have you tried slightly warming the food yet? Charlie and the girls love that.

:thumbsup: that's wonderful!!
We are all making progress! YAY! Slow and steady!!!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ice storm is preventing me from getting to the vets to pick up more dry food. I should be good on Thursday to go. :censored:

Day 9: Repeat performance. Dry food nearly at 100% like 90% new stuff with FortiFlora and all eaten Tonight it will be Day 1 at 100% - looking forward to seeing how it goes.

There has been a marked improvement since a reduction of the old dry food.

Wet food: Simply Nourish - Duck and pea LID grain free. Ate it all. Very little added as a topper.

Added some Bone broth to the Wet food - winner!

Wow. Such a major difference from the last 30 bazillion times I've tried to change his food.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista woke from a nap to burp, lick lips, and go back to sleep. I think we're both looking forward to being done with the antibiotics. Our last dose will be tomorrow morning.

Great job on the bone broth, and what a great update all around! (Except the ice storm.)

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista woke from a nap to burp, lick lips, and go back to sleep. I think we're both looking forward to being done with the antibiotics. Our last dose will be tomorrow morning.

Great job on the bone broth, and what a great update all around! (Except the ice storm.)
WOOT! One more day for you and Krista! Wonderful! Then you both can rest a bit easier - at least on that front. :vibes::heartshape:

LOl dang ice storm. Not fun Schools were closed - I still had to go into the office - white knuckle ride. :-(

Thank you :-) This is the only time it's even remotely worked so I am really leaning towards that infection and inflammation seriously impeding his general well being and reluctant food swapping - for a long time.

We can't do testing on Charlie for IBD. I mean we could - but - it would be a really bad idea with his heart and Asthma. So we opt'd for a no. Luckily treatment for allergies / sensitivities and IBD is the same. Food watching.

From what the vets told me she see many cats like him when they had a rough start to life, like he did, that have these kinds of issues. (Long story short - He was found in a ditch. Too young to be away from his mom. I'm a failed foster. When he came to me - within 12 hours he was pooping blood, his eyes nearly sealed shut - bad URI and Giardia. it was pretty awful.) After I got him back to health - that was it - he was staying.

:D:D:D Yeah, I'm pretty proud of Charlie right now. He's been a trooper.

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
WOOT! One more day for you and Krista! Wonderful! Then you both can rest a bit easier - at least on that front. :vibes::heartshape:

LOl dang ice storm. Not fun Schools were closed - I still had to go into the office - white knuckle ride. :-(

Thank you :-) This is the only time it's even remotely worked so I am really leaning towards that infection and inflammation seriously impeding his general well being and reluctant food swapping - for a long time.

We can't do testing on Charlie for IBD. I mean we could - but - it would be a really bad idea with his heart and Asthma. So we opt'd for a no. Luckily treatment for allergies / sensitivities and IBD is the same. Food watching.

From what the vets told me she see many cats like him when they had a rough start to life, like he did, that have these kinds of issues. (Long story short - He was found in a ditch. Too young to be away from his mom. I'm a failed foster. When he came to me - within 12 hours he was pooping blood, his eyes nearly sealed shut - bad URI and Giardia. it was pretty awful.) After I got him back to health - that was it - he was staying.

:D:D:D Yeah, I'm pretty proud of Charlie right now. He's been a trooper.
Hi FeralHearts,

I am on lucky Mama cat who never dealt with difficult kitty health condition, so nothing to offer from here. Just wanted to say THANK YOU! for taking such a wonderful care of Charlie ... "Found in a ditch"?! OMG I cannot imagine how horrible and scary that was for little baby Charlie ... So happy he is now in loving home :heartshape:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Day 10: Ate all the dry food with FortiFlora.

Wet food Still the same: Simply Nourish LID - Duck and pea. Needed a small bit of coaxing this AM with a few bits of salmon but it was okay.

Tomorrow I'm hoping the other wet food will be in as I'd like to start on that.

The dry food tonight is fully transitioned. So we'll see how it all goes. I'm reducing the FortiFlora tomorrow as well. *fingers crossed*

-------

Hi CHIKITTIES CHIKITTIES !

Thank you. I'm doing my best for the kiddo.

I hope you remain a lucky mama and don't have to deal with health issues. They are no fun at all.

XOXOXOX