Charlie: The Food Trial Diaries (ibd / Food Allergy (sensitivity) Or Stress)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet visit 1 million 400 and 22 thousand and 1..

Good new - they got pee and blood and he behaved. I'm so lucky to have such a great DR for him. She also was letting me know options so as to be kind to my budget. Very thoughtful. For me though, budget or not, he unfortunately needs to have these done. So mama needs to suck it up! It wasn't as bad I as thought it was going to be too. So Phew.

Bad news he gained weight again. Thankfully he's a very big cat so the extra weight is okay for now but it does needs to come off. Normally he's 13.5 - 13.9 - currently about 15 pounds. I have been reducing the dry food, even though he doesn't get much and still he gains a touch! wthelk kitty. I should be able to get him down relatively easy - I think. So he and Mia are on diets! (She is really overweight as she is so inactive.) Playtime will also be increased for the whole family!

The positive is that is does really look like we've kicked this allergy in the butt. No pun intended lol :-)

We should have the results for his blood work and Urinalysis tomorrow. If everything comes back clean, you will hear my woohooing across the planet!

WOW!!! Good on you :rock:
Thank you :-) XOXOXO I had load of help to get him here. So I'm very grateful to you all.

Aww! I'm so happy to see this update! <3 Happy birthday Charlie and well done F FeralHearts !! :)
Thank you :-) XOXOXO It's a relief. I'm hoping to have him around healthy and happy for many years to come. Now that he's on the mend, it's looks like that can become a reality instead of wishful thinking.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, not good news at all.

I'm really torn at what to do. I kinda feel sick inside and if I'm honest I'm a bit teary too with worry and I'm trying not to cry as crystals freak me out a lot. In the back of my head are all these stories of cats that die from blockages from crystals - and my head goes into worry mode. So I'm doing deep breathing and remembering - okay - he is peeing fine right now. I just have to watch and make sure he's peeing.

There is more than one issue.

Issue 1:

Charlie has crystals again. Now, this could just be another one-off from the construction going on. I don't know. We're checking for infection again and we won't know for 4 -7 days with that. ATM I am going by the theory of stress.

Logic - The girls have been inside a year. The first tests way back when showed no crystals and the girls had been in with him well over 6 months at that point. it was after a few stressful vet visits that crystals appeared. He then had two successful clear tests for bacteria - one showing no crystals.

Renovations begin - crystals are back.

Hence why I'm thinking stress-related.

Issue 2 and it somewhat corresponds with issue 1:

His food is an issue. While YAY! Success in getting his allergy gone but the food he is on is causing weight gain, a bit higher cholesterol and a few other blood related finds that point towards the food is an issue.

$^&&*#*&#&* WHYYYYYY. WHY WHY WHY

The vet has suggested keeping him on the dry food only for both the food issue, weight gain and to help with the crystals. I HATE this idea and I'm struggling with what is best for him.

I was honest with the vet about what I was planning to try first, which is going against her very sound advice - and I realize that. As IMHO it's a small risk in the grand scheme of things - change the food again if I can. I could be wrong though. Is it a small risk?

So I would like your opinions on things.

I love Charlie. His behavior has always been an issue - even before the girls came inside. No changes. Redirected aggression since day one.

I have some serious choices to make for him and a lot of them I hate.

Firstly - based on what we know do we think the crystals are most lily related to the stress of the original vet visits and now the renovation? Or do we think a delayed reaction to the girls?

Secondly - there is serious talk about Prozac at this point to get his stress down. (Yes, I actually brought his up to the vet.)

Thirdly - Food. So do I suck it up and conceded to this terrible dry food only diet... or do I continue trying with the wet food. In all honesty, I want to keep trying the wet food as we all know about dry food and especially crappy soy dry food but I this point I'm seriously divided as it has to be about what's best for him. I'll keep going for as long as it takes to make sure he's stable but I'm worried about causing him harm in the long run.

I don't know. What I do know is I'm failing him no matter how I try. I don't want to fail him.

Okay rethinking the crystals - Last time they were triple phosphate (Struvite) this time they are Bilirubin Crystals.

PSS - I think the vet said these crystals could be food-related. OMG my mind went blank. I can't remember - I will have to ask her when we get the bacteria call.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think, try the dry food (in other words what the vet is suggesting) for a certain timeperiod so you-all can see how things go, including his weight...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, and no, you ARE NOT failing him. It sounds to me as though this is one of those situations where there's you, and then there are all these things that you're having to play pingpong against.

YOU are doing an incredible job, I promise, and don't lose the faith. You and your vet make a super good team for Charlie :thumbsup:. :rock:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think, try the dry food (in other words what the vet is suggesting) for a certain timeperiod so you-all can see how things go, including his weight...
dang nab it! Sadly this is probably right. I have to remember. It's not about me - it's about him.

Can we think of something wet I can give him so he doesn't feel like I'm giving the girls the good stuff and he's left out? Like a pretend wet food lol

Oh, and no, you ARE NOT failing him. It sounds to me as though this is one of those situations where there's you, and then there are all these things that you're having to play pingpong against.

YOU are doing an incredible job, I promise, and don't lose the faith. You and your vet make a super good team for Charlie :thumbsup:. :rock:
XOXOXO thank you. I feel so bad though. I feel bad for him. I feel like I can't win. I want him happy and healthy!

I'm so lucky I have his vet. We are blessed for sure.

Pingpong sounds about right and I feel like an idiot for doubting my instincts about this new wet food.

I'm reading up about these two different crystals so it does look like I'm wrong about this second time being stress, though, that could still contribute maybe.

There are swear words in my head atm. They all start with F and are on a repeat loop. No doubt because I'm panicking and really even if the food is causing these issues - it's only been a few months so maybe I can correct the issue before I accidentally kill him while trying to help him!

*Tries not to lose faith.*

XOXOXOXOOX

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can we think of something wet I can give him so he doesn't feel like I'm giving the girls the good stuff and he's left out?
hmmm...There's this thread that tabbytom started that has other items (including my list of foods) for sick kitties. I'm not considering it so much for a "sick" kitty but more for options that you might be able to utilize for Charlie.

While I was getting the link for that, I happened to think of kitten glop?

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love your list! I'll go read up too on more tyvm! XOXOXOX

I want to try to keep him on his several meals a day routine, which matches the girls routine - and his own current. Dry food is such a small amount that dividing it into many meals up would be like him only getting a mouthful. So I was thinking if I almost "pretend" feed him would make it easier on both of us.

A small amount of kitty glop would probably work (if I can get him to eat it lol) and not play havoc with the allergy etc too. I could even maybe try wetting the dry food into mush so he thinks it's wet food and it would trick him into think it's more than it is?? Maybe?

Oh the joys of multi cat households!

Trying to read up on Struvite / Triple Phosphate vs Bilirubin Crystals. Not a lot out there on Bilirubin Crystals.

Reread his tests and his triple phosphate appears is present too.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie - the food drama continues...

... and now we are back to food refusals, and him in a really bad mood. *sigh*

He didn't eat last night or this morning. Last night I did his usual as I don't think changing fast is good for his mood or tummy - not that it helped since he's refusing it. So I planned to do it slow. Slow did not mean him refusing food again.

I'm on about 3 hours sleep. He did sleep most of the night with me so that was nice.

Edit to add: Trying to focus on the one positive - allergy okay now. Now it's stabilizing his diet for his overall health and getting those crystals gone forever.

Last edited:

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
F FeralHearts - oh no, I was so glad to see this good news the other day and now this... :( I'm so sorry.

Kitten glop is definitely worth a try if you think he'll eat it...

Bilirubin crystals gosh, I've never heard of them... were his liver values all ok on bloodwork?

Instead of reaching for Prozac as a first, have you or your vet discussed trying either Zylkene or Clomicalm? I know for sure that Zylkene can help stressed cats, but I am not as familiar with Clomicalm used for stress, though I don't see why not...

I am thinking of both you and Charlie and sending you both healing energy... hoping for him to firstly eat again and second clear those crystals with your love and support. You're doing a great job looking after him! <3

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's doing a bit better today - Momma is an idiot. I fully admit this. :chillpill: <---See that chill pill - yup taking it.

Two pieces of good news - Allergy still looks licked but we still have a food issue of some descript. His blood shows that.

Second piece of good news - No infection this time!

So there are some wins here.

I have a call into the vet to go over one more small thing with her.

Oh, dang, Charlie!!

Hang in there :vibes::redheartpump:. :hugs:. :redheartpump:
We're hanging in. :redheartpump: I had a chat with him last night and he ate a little bit. I had to give him his duck this morning though. Slowly I'll ween him of it so we can get him stable.

XOXOXO

F FeralHearts - oh no, I was so glad to see this good news the other day and now this... :( I'm so sorry.

Kitten glop is definitely worth a try if you think he'll eat it...

Bilirubin crystals gosh, I've never heard of them... were his liver values all ok on bloodwork?
Thank you. :-)

I have to say yes - it completely sucked getting that news. I like the way Furballsmom Furballsmom describes it - it is ping pong. I think it's going to be this way for a while still and I'll have to remind myself of this ... mostly so I don't panic the way I have been.

Once I stopped panicking about the food and crystals... I realized I'm an idiot again lol. The way it was displayed on the page it looked like Bilirubin crystals. I re-read with a fine-tooth comb again and again and it's only the triple phosphate again. So maybe it is stress-related (timing does suggest that) and not something that is chronic. He doesn't need chronic crystals along with everything else.

The blood work looks a bit messy. What I've done now is I've actually taken the last three tests - plus this new one -and put them in a spreadsheet to see them all together in a timeline.

Liver and kidneys look slightly off but I have to go over some more things. Sugar is higher. I think that was stress. Cholesterol is back up - but I knew that would happen with Duck food. A few things seem weird to me but I have to remember to take them all as a whole. Some things need to be read together as a unit to get the right picture. (Some I understand and some I don't.)

Somethings not quite right and I can't put my finger on it yet. I keep getting the feeling that there is another piece to this puzzle missing. I'm not sure where to look though.

The vet thinks this round of bloodwork oddities is the new food - I'm inclined to agree - but at the same time, I hate that too as that leaves him with that awful dry food only. To me, that's a host of other issues to have him on only dry food. I'll do it for now very reluctantly (she's a great doctor and I trust her) but I will still be continuing to look for another solution.

Instead of reaching for Prozac as a first, have you or your vet discussed trying either Zylkene or Clomicalm? I know for sure that Zylkene can help stressed cats, but I am not as familiar with Clomicalm used for stress, though I don't see why not...

I am thinking of both you and Charlie and sending you both healing energy... hoping for him to firstly eat again and second clear those crystals with your love and support. You're doing a great job looking after him! <3
What are you saying - momma needs therapy? :flail:Probably after this last year, yes. LMAO Seriously though thank you for the healing energy XOXOXO

The Prozac thing - yeah - that was me being an idiot again. It's me concerned that he's stressed out and that's not helping his health. Trying to find a way to reduce his stress. Even changing foods can cause stress for them... and since he's high strung already (even though I worry - and panic - I'm not that high strung believe it or not) he, however, is high maintenance and has always been a walking ball of intensity. I love that about him. I don't even mind the blood loss he causes me.

I will research and ask about those two meds. Even temporarily. I think a behaviorist might help too. I considered that before but I haven't found any in the area I believe have good credentials with cats. Dogs yes, cats, not so much luck.

Thank you! I'm trying my best to look after him. I have to find a way to get that stubborn lovely soul to co-operate.

XOXOXO

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regarding the stress, I apologise as I'm forgetting, but did you ever try music with him?
No Apologies need XO Sometimes I need to be hit over the head and reminded. XOXOXO

The music does help and he likes it a lot. Maybe I should leave it on 24 /7. Get the kitties there own little stereo? I tend to use it only on his particularly bad days and it often gets him to settle into normal crazy. It can be a hit and miss with him - after all, he does have a screw loose somewhere. ;-)

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The lovely vet called. Bless her heart.

2 months he goes back again and I'll have to be fast and strict about his food. So please pray he co-operates. Imma going to do as I'm told by the Doctor and Charlie is too. (Positive thinking!)

While the allergy seems to be good, there is still something triggering him in terms of his digestion and ability to metabolize things properly. (nods, yup he's weird!) This may be the last piece of the puzzle.

My moms going to give me her old ipod and I'm going to hook it up for some kitty tunes when I'm at work. :-) They better not start to throw parties while I'm gone!