Charlie: The Food Trial Diaries (ibd / Food Allergy (sensitivity) Or Stress)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The can seemed okay - but - good point. You never know. I have a couple more cans from various store adventures. I'll try again in a week as yeah ... that was weird.

White Label isn't a fan of salmon but even she will usually begrudgingly eat it. (All the while giving me "the look" of course.)

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haha, I know The Look so well! I hope your next adventure meal goes better in either case :hearthrob:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay we have the Rayne!

Picked it up this AM (along with Bravehearts medicine) at the Vets on the way to work. There is one meal left for the night - so I might try it. If not then for tomorrow mornings meal. I'm excited and hopefully since it's completely different from anything else. At the same time - I also know not to be disappointed if he rejects it. I'm going to a few different ways to. So ..

*Fingers Crossed*

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welp. :-( Phase one fail. The moment I opened the can I knew we were going to have trouble.

Texture wise it's like a combo of liquid poop and watered down glue. I used a spoon, not a fork, to get some food out. I knew opps Charlie is going to protest lol. Yup. He did. I tried putting some salmon bits on it. Nope.

So this morning I tried again. He sniffed. *sigh* I'm going to try a few other things to see if I get get him to take a bite. Not looking good but - it's Charlie. Most "trying" takes work.

PS the girls just thumbed their noses up at another too: Natural Balance Salmon and Pea. (That's two Salmon's) I know W.L is not a fan. Mia actually took a few bites and was like "Hmmm no" the others took a tiny nibble and went "hmm no". Bummer.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great minds think alike! I'm stopping on my way home today to get some more popsicle sticks! :-) That was an awesome suggestion from you! XO

BTW have you read anywhere on here how to determine how much phosphorus is in a can? I can't find it on any of the cans for any brand and I'm not sure how to do the calculation for it. :-\ I have a bad feeling it's one of those things that requires a phone call to the manufacturer.

BTW haven't heard a peep from Purebites. I checked the lot numbers and all 5 bags - same lot numbers. The others I opened, different lot number and they are fine. I'll try to contact them again and if that fails they are off my shopping list and I'll find an alternative.

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really wonder what companies are doing with these special diet foods to make the textures so weird! Hills Z/D was like someone tried to make meat jello and added 15x more gelatin than they should have. And on top of that it was stickier than some glues.
I checked the Rayne website...if you're feeding the Adult Health RSS they list the Phosphorus as .12% as is, .58% dry matter, and 1.33g/1000kcal. I apologize if that's info you've already found and you're asking for something else.
Hope the popsicle method works! You *are* going to get Charlie healthy, and he *will* get on board with the plan eventually! :heartshape:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know right! I took one look at the Z/D when we tried it for Charlie and was like - really - who thinks a cat is going to find it appealing? lol The Adult Health RSS - yes - thank you. That one they are forthcoming about. Many other foods not. So my brain is trying to sort out the *gasp* math on other ones not-so-labeled. I can calculate the dry matter okay but not sure how to arrive at the Phosphorus alone.

*brain explodes*

Charlie is just so darn picky. He's not remotely helpful lol It's why his full name is: "His Royal Majesty KING Charles Zombie the first". Yes that is his full given legal name. LMAO.

I think the popsicle sticks have a good chance. I simply must be patient when doing it. I'll also stock up on some other toppers from Furballsmom Furballsmom lovely list. I'm out of rediwhip and that worked last time!

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol I think so too - it's getting the brain to comprehend it LMAO. I think I need more sleep to successful have all that math sink in. LMAO

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a common question on Chewy for other brands, and they're very good about replying. Though the retailers should just be providing this information, at least on their websites! When kidney disease and other factors make a low phos diet so important, it shouldn't be so difficult to find that info :soapbox:

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh no! :( Sorry to hear about the girls not eating the salmon, either... my Amber turned her nose up at salmon last night, too. weird. and sorry Charlie is not into the Rayne yet. The good news is it should be return-able to the vet. I had a foster kitten once who would literally only eat that wet food...I forgot the consistency was a bit odd.

Have you ever tried these Nature's Variety Instincts Raw freeze dried kibble toppers? Its one of the only things that I could get Amber to be enticed by on top of her wet food a while back. Every once in a while when she seems uninterested, I crush a few of those on top of her wet food and then she'll usually get right into it. I have rabbit and beef.

Thinking of you both and hoping Charlie will find something he likes... <3

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a common question on Chewy for other brands, and they're very good about replying. Though the retailers should just be providing this information, at least on their websites! When kidney disease and other factors make a low phos diet so important, it shouldn't be so difficult to find that info :soapbox:
Oh thank you. I'll have to check out their site. I don't normally look as they don't ship to Canada. Wish we had a chewy.ca.

I agree totally! Since phos is a major thing, it should be listed. In fact IMHO all the minerals should be listed separately. I can't tell you the number of manufacturers I've had to call to get a proper breakdown and most can't tell you as they lump them together in a weird way. Some are less than forthcoming too. Oddly, I wasn't expecting it - but - Royal canine was incredibly transparent when I spoke to them. Refreshing.

I'm looking at the Phos now since the vet had mentioned the phos, probably because of the crystals, (even though I really think it was stress), I'm being conscious of that too now, along with the protein.

Oh no! :( Sorry to hear about the girls not eating the salmon, either... my Amber turned her nose up at salmon last night, too. weird. and sorry Charlie is not into the Rayne yet. The good news is it should be return-able to the vet. I had a foster kitten once who would literally only eat that wet food...I forgot the consistency was a bit odd.

Have you ever tried these Nature's Variety Instincts Raw freeze dried kibble toppers? Its one of the only things that I could get Amber to be enticed by on top of her wet food a while back. Every once in a while when she seems uninterested, I crush a few of those on top of her wet food and then she'll usually get right into it. I have rabbit and beef.

Thinking of you both and hoping Charlie will find something he likes... <3
Maybe something's up in the air with Salmon lately?

Sadly - the girls turned up their noses at the Rayne - I tried with them too tonight. I had a laugh though. Mean as it sounds, I put a bit of Rayne next to their normal food and they sorta pushed it into the Rayne. Braveheart took a bite and had some of the Rayne too and she looked like she was trying to chew gum! It was hilarious. Mind you the look I got - she was not impressed. I couldn't help it though - I burst out laughing.

It is returnable but I really want to give this a go. More than normal as I really think it's getting him past the texture in this case. Mama is not giving up though. Mama had a rough week and is feeling mighty stubborn. (hmmmm someone ate just over an 1/8 of it while my back was turned but I can't ID who. My bet's on Mia.)

I will try a few different ways to get him to try it as I really think the Rayne is a good idea. I simply have to convince him. I do really think the main struggle will be sorting out this texture somehow. Although Charlie rejects any mixes - I am going to try a mix of a tiny bit of Rayne with his normal and see if I can't work up to it. I stopped by the store and picked up a bunch of toppers to try. (From the lovely Furballsmom Furballsmom great list. I reference it a lot.)

Nature's Variety Instincts Raw freeze dried kibble toppers - are they like the Purebites freeze dried type? Charlie loves those. The only treat he will eat. Lately, since those bad bags, or whatever was going on there, he's a bit turned off so I'm looking at other brands of the freezed dried salmon treats. Usually that what works for him too long term.

I can tell he's feeling better right now. I also know it's only a matter of time before he's not feeling hot again.

Last edited:

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The instinct toppers aren't just freeze dried meat...they have a bunch of other ingredients too. Looking at their website, they have 3 chicken and 1 rabbit with pork. Frida went nuts for the rabbit one...if the other ingredients are OK for Charlie it's worth getting the tiny bag to see if it works for him too.
I did see a couple of other brands of 100% freeze dried meat treats when I was in the pet store today...though I didn't take note of the names because I was *not* buying more food things until I use up some of the ones I have now :lol:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The instinct toppers aren't just freeze dried meat...they have a bunch of other ingredients too. Looking at their website, they have 3 chicken and 1 rabbit with pork. Frida went nuts for the rabbit one...if the other ingredients are OK for Charlie it's worth getting the tiny bag to see if it works for him too.
I will look thank you. So long as there isn't :censored: Chicken or :censored: turkey - lol - we should be good!

I did see a couple of other brands of 100% freeze dried meat treats when I was in the pet store today...though I didn't take note of the names because I was *not* buying more food things until I use up some of the ones I have now :lol:
Yes there are several now. I'll be popping in next week so I'll be looking for the toppers and more freeze dried.

LMFAOROF @ not buying more. Sureeee.

Yeah, that's what I say.... every time.. and every time it doesn't happen.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie's been in a mood all day. While he's left While Label kinda alone (mostly - not 100% more like 70%) he attacked Brave Heart today and he's attacked me most of the night and this morning before work. Usually he's smart enough not to attack Brave Heart as she won't put up with it. If those two go at it- someone is going to get seriously hurt.

I've felt his belly and it doesn't feel hard but of course with the crystals I worry about blockage. With his mood tonight and attitude today - I'm concerned. So I've installed a camera as per below.

He's beat me to the litter box 3 days running so I can't see if he's peeing properly. After today's mood swing - I've resorted to placing a camera in the litter box area. (While there were 5 boxes in various areas - I reduced to 4 and that doesn't really matter as all of them seem to like one best so it's used 99% of the time.) I set the camera up in that room tonight. No privacy for the kitties. Too bad - mamma needs to see.

He's eating okay again so that's good. Still won't let me change his food though *sigh* I'll keep trying with the Rayne.

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We gotta do what we gotta do, especially with his history. And hopefully having the camera can let you relax a bit, since you won't be worried about jumping up every time you think he's going to use the box?
Hooray for him eating!! The small victories on the road to winning the war :)