Chantilly's?

Frankophile Feline Fan

Floofing the floor
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a kitten for Christmas, and when I was pet-shopping I absolutely fell in love with a semi-long haired black/brown cat. That one turned out to be much too old for the adoption fee in my opinion and she had some health issues, but from then I decided I wanted a semi-long haired tortoiseshell or black cat.

Only after I adopted Colette did I find out that Chantilly's were a thing and that's what I loved about that old queen cat I found on Petfinder.com. She probably wasn't and no one made that claim, but it was those qualities that drew me.

For several months I wondered if Colette had some Chantilly in her. She chirps and trills. I adopted her in Jacksonville, Florida - about 2 hours from Orlando where one of the first resurfaced Chantilly breeders were. And seeing every semi-long haired dark cat I wondered if it was part of the legacy.

Then I looked up where Chantilly breeders were...

How could our phenomenally fertile felines fail to continue a breed?! What happened to all the Chantilly kittens bred from 1969 to 2012, when the last American Chantilly cattery was tragically snuffed out?

And why is there no history prior to 1969? Articles on the breed are unanimous in that the breed was lost to time before a couple of cats were found in New York in 1969. Where had they come from?

Can anyone from the echelons of cat expertise educate me? For all intents and purposes, it sounds like someone fabricated a breed out of 2 related New York cats and their progeny has had too many issues to thrive.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem there is much of a record with these cats. They were thought to be extinct, and then turned up at an estate sale in the ‘60s. How they ended up there; I’m not sure if anyone knows for sure.

Amorino cattery was the last Chantilly breeder as of 2003. A fire destroyed the cattery in 2012. The last Chantilly in the US, Frosty, was shipped to Norway to a Nebelung breeder (Cacao Criadero cattery). Acey was a female kitten produced as a result of the cross. After Frosty’s death, Cacao Criado gave up on the Chantilly breeding program and spayed Acey in 2015. The breed has been considered extinct since then.

I’m sorry if none of this is new information. I think what seemed to be much of the problem was that there were simply not enough Chantilly breeders around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Frankophile Feline Fan

Floofing the floor
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know where they came from before the estate sale? I keep seeing the reference "they were thought to be extinct" but I found nothing on them before the estate sale.