Changing up nap spots/habits - does kitty look normal?

saharahoshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my experience after about 4-5 cats is that they are creatures of habit but can also be little weirdos, sometimes they'll switch where they are sleeping on us. Case in point, we had a bonded pair where one went with my and one went with my partner at nap time. My latest boy has gone from sleeping next to my head to sleeping in his kitty tower to now sleeping on a dresser with a fluffy towel (he's snoring right now - just kitty snuffles). I just want to make sure that his sleeping posture is that of a somewhat relaxed kitty - who knows? I've attached a pic and was wondering what people thought. I read that a wrapped around tail could mean anxiety but we are also in the Midwest and the dresser is towards the middle of the room where it is warmest.

Attachments

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats are creatures of habit, but they can/will change preferences if they feel that they are in a safe enough environment.
The reason for their habits - safety. In the wild, they hunt, drink, sleep in those areas that fulfil those needs and didn't cause them any harm. This is engrained in their DNA, but they learn to change habits once they know they're safe enough to do so.
It's when they change so drastically (ie sleeping by your head to sleeping as far away from anyone they can possibly get in the house, in the smallest, uncomfortable area they can find), or anything like no longer using the litter box (they bury their waste to hide themselves from predators) that should be concerning.
I'm in the midwest too, and it's about to get colder than it's been in years. So, I expect a few of my cats to move from their favorite sleeping spots to somewhere on my face for warmth, lol. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
He does look quite comfortable and happy in his new sleeping spot. Why he chose it, who knows. But it is totally normal for them to find a new spot that they like to sleep or to hang out. He will probably switch back at some point.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saharahoshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a new comforter for my birthday and he thinks its his
20210221_110802.jpg