Changing Up My Wet Food Rotation- Completely Confused!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Continuing with the saga of giving wet food to my cats. I have been feeding both of my cats a partial canned food diet for three months now. My younger cat loves canned food and scarfs it up. My 3 year old cat doesn't like it. I have gotten him to the point where he eats at least five or six bites (started with just one or two) so I'm counting that as a success. Right now I've been feeding mostly Fancy Feast & Wellness. They don't seem to like the Wellness very much.
  Fancy Feast classics aren't being as well received as other types which I would prefer not to feed due to ingredients. Does anyone know of a food that would be a good substitute? 

I was thinking of switching to Sheba and alternating that with Tiki Cat (more of the shredded texture I've noticed they enjoy) and something else as well that falls somewhere between those price and quality wise. I think I'll give up on Wellness since the younger cat eats it (but slowly and unhappily) while the older one doesn't seem to keen on it. I would really like to find something that he will eat.
 We got him when he was already two and already a picky eater. He loves all dry kibbles and seems to like fish flavors of canned food the most, but I don't want him eating all fish.

Any ideas? I feel like I've been staring at lists of ingredients and brands for hours and still have no idea what to do! 

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think Weruva and Soulistics are both shredded.  I haven't had the chance to try them out myself yet, but I've read lots of good things about those two. 

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with @Ruaryx  about the Weruva. Most cats REALLY like it :) Especially their Paw Lickin' Chicken flavor! I also wanted to tell you about a brand called "Nutro Natural Choice" which you can find at almost any pet store. They have pates, chunky pates (pates with meat chunks in them) and sliced versions. All grain, by-product, and carrageenan free. 

My cat personally loves Sheba too :) You should definitely try Sheba!

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finding food is mostly trial and error. Nothing wrong with FF in rotation. I have one that that will only eat FF classic chicken. No other wet food. She hates treats too so I have nothing to entice her with. I give her good quality kibble, so that's about the best i can do.

What about Nutro natural choice? My cats really like the sliced turkey. The cubed chicken is well liked too. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to petco. They had an awful selection but I got soltistic and nutro. Will have to go to a different pet store to try and find some of the other brands that were recommended. Thank you for the recommendations now I just have to find them and try them with my cats. :)

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Went to petco. They had an awful selection but I got soltistic and nutro. Will have to go to a different pet store to try and find some of the other brands that were recommended.
Just an fyi - some of Soulistic foods are the exact same formulas / ingredients as Weruva's Cats in the Kitchen, so if you can't make it to a Petco for whatever reason and have access to an indy store that sells Weruva CITK, you may find some of the same products. For e.g., Soulistic's Harvest Sunrise chicken / pumpkin is also Weruva's CITK:

Water Sufficient For Processing, Chicken, Pumpkin, Tapioca Starch, Sunflower Seed Oil, Spinach, Tricalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just an fyi - some of Soulistic foods are the exact same formulas / ingredients as Weruva's Cats in the Kitchen, so if you can't make it to a Petco for whatever reason and have access to an indy store that sells Weruva CITK, you may find some of the same products. For e.g., Soulistic's Harvest Sunrise chicken / pumpkin is also Weruva's CITK:

Water Sufficient For Processing, Chicken, Pumpkin, Tapioca Starch, Sunflower Seed Oil, Spinach, Tricalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement.
Interesting to know. 

I think my cats both aren't really interested in Soultistic. That was the first one I tried today. They approached with wide eyed horror, ate a few bites and that was more or less it. Carrot actually ate a good amount of it so I thought it might be the one, but then he seemed to loose interested and walked away. Hasn't gone back to it. The youngest keeps going back to the plate to eat another bite or two, but definitely isn't too interested. 

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I mix Merrick pate with Soulistic shreds or Soulistic chicken dinner in gelee, which is pate and shreds. I feel mine prefer pate.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I occasionally feed our cats these foods and, yes, they are the same. (I think the shreds in Weruva might be a bit larger but can't say for sure...) Odd, though that this ingredient list includes spinach, which neither kind lists on the pouches we have on hand. I hope they didn't just add it!

My biggest knocks on Soulistic are that many of their foods are very gloppy and carby because of what seems like very excessive use of tapioca for thickening. Our cats love their pumpkin chicken, canned or pouched, but are pretty indifferent to the Good Karma chicken, which is very goopy. I drain the pumpkin chicken foods because they're a small enough part of the cats' diet that I'm not concerned about the loss of nutrients. The cats also like the chicken dinner that Bonepicker mentioned: it looks kind of gross but it's low in carbs and gets eaten!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some of the other flavors for them to try. They liked the shreds, but not the gelatinous ooze.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It just had some gravy or something in it that was really weird. I was able to get Tiki cat, Sheba, and Weruva today. I tried Sheba and they seem okay with that. I have several flavors of all the different types so hopefully we can find different flavors that work best.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had a break through. The cats are eating all of the new flavors and all of the old flavors that we had before as well. That's right. Both cats! 

Carrot came around to eating wet food finally! I think it is partially due to me cutting back on the amount of dry food they're given and partially because I had the brilliant idea to give him wet food in the morning. I know the morning is when he begs the most for food so I started putting out a can before giving him any dry food. I should have done it forever ago.  
 He eats a full half of a 3 oz can in the morning now and I'm working on getting him to eat another half of one in the evening.

Thanks everyone for the cat food suggestions I think they really helped also!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carrot came around to eating wet food finally! I think it is partially due to me cutting back on the amount of dry food they're given and partially because I had the brilliant idea to give him wet food in the morning. I know the morning is when he begs the most for food so I started putting out a can before giving him any dry food. I should have done it forever ago.  
 He eats a full half of a 3 oz can in the morning now and I'm working on getting him to eat another half of one in the evening.
Indeed! That's how to do it! When I started limiting dry food to nighttime was when our cats started to come off their preference for the stuff. I then just kept giving them less and less... until it was just a few kibbles a night. And then we all forgot it!

I'm glad they're enjoying the wet food! (It must be the stuff without the gelatinous ooze...
)

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Indeed! That's how to do it! When I started limiting dry food to nighttime was when our cats started to come off their preference for the stuff. I then just kept giving them less and less... until it was just a few kibbles a night. And then we all forgot it!

I'm glad they're enjoying the wet food! (It must be the stuff without the gelatinous ooze...
)
 So true. No gelatinous ooze. I think there was something seriously weird about that can of food. The other Soulistic  can I bought didn't have it, only a watery broth that my cats loved. 

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yay! That's awesome for you and your kitties!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update with my final rotation. 

I am now rotating Sheba pates, Sheba cuts, Nutro minced, and Weruva. It's working wonderfully and they're eating 3oz twice a day.