Changing To Pine Pellets

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I’ve read and heard good reviews about pine pellets. I’m thinking to make a change too.

How should I gradually change from clay litter to pine pellet litter? I’m not sure if my cats will accept it since I’ve been using clumping clay litter since they were kittens. They’re 8 and 6years old.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I changed a several months ago without a problem. I added a couple of handfuls of pine pellets and mixed them into the clay pellets, a couple of days later increased the pine and decreased the clay. Kept going like that until it was all pine. It took about 2 weeks on total.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I changed a several months ago without a problem. I added a couple of handfuls of pine pellets and mixed them into the clay pellets, a couple of days later increased the pine and decreased the clay. Kept going like that until it was all pine. It took about 2 weeks on total.
Ok will do that :)
Did you change the litter box to the ones with the filter or do you just continue using the normal ones?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just use clear storage boxes with an opening cut at the side. One of mine scatters litter everywhere so had to have a deeper box. I shouldnt think it will matter what box you use but until your cats get used to the change of litter I would stick to the same box

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok will do that :)
Did you change the litter box to the ones with the filter or do you just continue using the normal ones?
I tried the sifting pans but found them too small for my liking. I went back to a large litterpan and simply scoop with a sifting scoop every day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m currently adding some pine pellets into their sand for the gradual change, just about 10-15%. I noticed one big difference. The presence of the pine really absorbs the odour when mixed with the sand. I no longer smell anything when I enter the bathroom (where the litter box is) even when there is a partially buried poop. This is great :D. Even if I don’t change 100% I could use this arrangement to minimize the odour which the sand fails to absorb.