Changing Sheets & Folding Laundry

Kdestef88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
My cat gets very upset whenever I take off/put on the bedsheets or fold my laundry. She will be sitting in the bedroom and come running over to bat at me as I put away laundry. It's gotten worse over time and is to the point where I have to finish my laundry in phases because she just becomes too aggressive. She isn't extremely angry -- in fact she is also a bit playful at the same time, but I can tell she's agitated.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

MissViv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats LOVE to help you make the bed! When I remove the dirty sheets, my cat is always there to help. She like to get under them and I play with her a little at that time.

I call her to help me make the bed when I put the clean sheets on and she comes a running. She jumps on the bed and loves to get under the warm sheets. I fluff them over her and she just loves it!

It is a ritual in our house.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always had at least one cat who "played" somewhat aggressively in sheets being put on or taken off the bed. I don't think I own a fitted sheet without claw holes in it. :climbcat:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as Willow is concerned the fresh laundry is hers. She likes the jeans especially so I just set them aside for her. She also demands the used dryer sheet For sniffing and rubbing. As far as bedding, I suspect your cat is playing, not being aggressive. “Don’t take the sheets” is a game most of my cats have played and could be very wild over. They also liked me to shake out a top sheet so they could leap on it as it floated down to the bed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kdestef88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes! It started out very playful. She would get excited whenever I started to make the bed. As time has gone on, though, she seems more and more aggressive about it. It could be possible that her style of play has just gotten more intense. Appreciate the feedback!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! It started out very playful. She would get excited whenever I started to make the bed. As time has gone on, though, she seems more and more aggressive about it. It could be possible that her style of play has just gotten more intense. Appreciate the feedback!
When she gets too aggressive just leave the room and declare the game over. Over time she may learn to settle down a bit if she wants to continue to play the sheet game with you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like over stimulation, and there are signs you can watch for that would let you know she is headed in that direction. Once you start to see the signs, the game is over until another time. If you've seen this enough with her, you probably already have a good idea just how long it takes her to get too wound up. If so, just check the time and stop the game accordingly.

Carolina SA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It can take half a day for me to make the bed... it is a fantastic excuse;)
I keep a long stick / wand as a sheet-slider toy for the cats to hunt and that keeps the vigorous play attacks away from our hands. The game quietly ends when my sheets appear to be in mortal danger. $$$