Changing Litter Pans

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has never had any litter box issues. He always has used the box and only the box, knock on wood. I know that changing brands or types of litter can be a real problem with some cats.
But, has anyone had any problems after replacing a litter pan? I use an open type litter pan and would be replacing it with another open style type of pan but probably a little bit larger. Probably something like a drywall or cement mixing pan as mentioned in another recent thread.

Thanks

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
But, has anyone had any problems after replacing a litter pan?
Whenever you do a change of litterbox or change to new brand of litter, when you fill it up with new litter, make sure you either mix some old litter in or use some old litter and leave them on top of the new litter.
This way, it's still a familiar scent to your cat.

I used to do this when my boy was younger when I wash his litterbox and change litter but now I just pour in the fresh litter without mixing as the old litter are all thrown away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whenever you do a change of litterbox or change to new brand of litter, when you fill it up with new litter, make sure you either mix some old litter in or use some old litter and leave them on top of the new litter.
This way, it's still a familiar scent to your cat.

I used to do this when my boy was younger when I wash his litterbox and change litter but now I just pour in the fresh litter without mixing as the old litter are all thrown away.
Thanks. I can certainly place some of the old litter on top of new and that's a good idea. But I'm more interested in a general sense regarding whether it's common (or uncommon) for issues to arise with simply replacing the litter pan. Again, open style for open style. Not going from an open to a closed or any other different style of box. Same location, same litter brand, just a new, slightly larger pan.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Same location, same litter brand, just a new, slightly larger pan.
I guess as long as it's not another color (sudden change of color may startle the cat) and not much higher than the old one should be fine.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I usually wash the new litter box and rub it with a towel the cats have slept on before I put it down to make it smell more like “theirs.” They’ll all spend some time smelling it, but I’ve never had a problem with them using it.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The only time I had a problem was changing from open litter boxes to closed. The kitties really didn't like the closed litter boxes, whether it was a top entry or a door on the end. Changing from one shape open box to a different shape has never been an issue.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been changing litter boxes a lot recently. One of my cats has turned into an elevator peeing machine! I tried high sided litter boxes, but he would still get urine above it. I now am using tall rubbermaid storage containers. I have 6 cats and I have changed out all 8 boxes numerous times since the first of the year. Not one of my cats cares at all. I always keep some of the litter from their previous box to add to the new box. They also are always in the same location.

I think it all just depends on the cat and his/her temperament. I hope it goes well for you.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 14 litterboxes, so I use 2 different ones every month. My cats don't care as long as they are big enough- Jumbo or Giant size.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A couple recent litter changes haven't bothered him and from the responses, it seems uncommon that litter pan changes upset the balance, so to speak. So, I probably should be ok with a new pan.

Thanks for the input.