Changing feeding schedule

susieque1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,
I have a kitten that’s about 5 months old. I currently free feed her dry kibble all day and serve her half a can of friskies in the morning and half a can at night. I’m thinking about still free feeding her but giving her one can of friskes around dinner time. Is this recomendable ?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Will you still be giving her the half can in the morning? I'd do that, she still needs a lot of food to support all the growth that's happening.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susieque1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Will you still be giving her the half can in the morning? I'd do that, she still needs a lot of food to support all the growth that's happening.
No I was actually thinking about just giving her the one can at dinnertime since she also does eat her dry food throughout the day.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The more wet you can give her, the better. She still has a ways to grow so she needs more food than just one can of wet and some dry.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Little tummies need little meals. A fully can of Friskies is probably more then your kitten can physically eat in a sitting. It would be better to keep it at two wet meals with dry available between.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two almost 6 months kittens. I split a 3oz can between them. Once in the morning and once in the evening. About a cup of dry food left for snacking in between. I actually tried doing another afternoon feeding and it seemed too much for them. They would leave their dinner untouched when I tried.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susieque1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I think that I will keep it at half a can for breakfast and dinner until she’s about a year old. She she can eat properly and have enough protein while growing.