Changing Colour

roserivers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kai has many white hairs showing through the black, is this normal? Mainly above his nose, which was a deep black, and round his legs, as if the white is bleeding into the black. We estimate his age around 3 1/2, the previous 'owner' had him from a kitten but has no idea how old he really is. (Gives you some idea of his status as 'owner'. This cat doesn't know how to play, we are still trying to teach him.)

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes it's normal/common, just like humans go grey cats can too. Also just like humans it can start at any time once they are adults. Most cats do to some extent, but it's just more noticeable on black cats and black and white tuxedos.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roserivers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for the swift response. Yes, Kai wears a tuxedo well, very big white chest - never thought of it that way! I'll tell him he's changing into a mature cat. That means he can stop being a grumpy young cat and start the long process of becoming a grumpy old cat. He has a series of grunts that mean
I want food
I want the rest of my food (he eats half the bowl full and comes back an hour later for the rest)
I want fuss
I want to go to bed (with me, so that means I have to get myself together to go to bed)
I want someone to help me get out from behind these curtains (when he gets on the window seat behind 8 ft long curtains and can't find his way back out again...)

The rest of the time it's a variety of 'I want' cries...
Lucky us, we have two vocal cats. Last week I heard my daughter say 'you're both talking to me and I can't understand a word you're saying. One at a time, please!'