Changing cat's name

njtom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When one adopts a cat, the cat often has a pretty siily name. I have to laugh at some of the names that are used. Anyway, did you rename your adopted cat? How did you get the cat used to it? Always call it by that name, and eventually the cat associates the name with itself?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats never learn their names. I think people use them too often, in too many different contexts. We use it when talking to family to say the cat did x, y and z today. We use it when annoyed with the cat. And on and on. Best to use the name to mean "I want to pay attention to you" and not also 10 different other things like most of us do.

Our 6 year old was named "Clyde" by the foster. We hated it. Debated for a couple weeks. Nothing gained consensus. Now he is just Clyde. And thats ok.

I don't think the old name is going to slow down learning the new name. My cats know like 5+ signals for "come here for something good" -- their name, clicking, cooing, talking in an especially soft voice, tapping the couch, shaking the treat bag, etc... I've never had a cat not learn some of those (like the treat bag) but the name is harder.

My wife insists on nicknames. Sometimes, some cats learn all of them. Maybe. Hard to tell sometimes (she uses a soft tone of voice as well).

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When one adopts a cat, the cat often has a pretty siily name. I have to laugh at some of the names that are used. Anyway, did you rename your adopted cat? How did you get the cat used to it? Always call it by that name, and eventually the cat associates the name with itself?
Yes, I did. When I adopted Willow from a shelter her name was “Shannon”. I didn’t know whether this was the name she was brought in with, the name given to her by the shelter or the name given to her with her post surrender failed adoption, so I gave her a new name for a new and better life.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey's original name, when adopted was: GOOFY!! OMG... I could not call any being Goofy.. I had to change it..

He got used to it.. I just kept calling him by that name..He knows all his nicknames!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never known a cat who could not adjust to a new name...it doesn't seem to be a big deal with them, more or less, "Call me anything but late to dinner!" Hekitty has about 25 nicknames and seems to know them all, so I imagine one new name won't be a big deal.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we got our bridge boy Tik he was being called Dipstick because of his tail. He took to his name no problem. But 2 weeks later Patches came to us, he was going to be Tac, so we would have a Tik and Tac. Patches wouldn't come to that name had no response whatsoever. So I asked him what he liked when I said Patches he came to me, I do know he probably would of learned Tac but hubby picked the names and Patches suited him better.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we got Casper, he was already named "Casper."
Come on! Look at him! He's a "Casper." Right? ;)

We had him for a few months when we were all sitting in the living room, watching TV. I looked over to him and said, "Hey! Puddy Tat!" He got up, walked over and got some petting and attention. We kept calling him and he kept responding so his nickname is "Puddy Tat." I think he likes to be called "Puddy Tat." In fact, we call him that so often that he probably thinks that's what his name really is! ;)

He's got other names:
Of course, he's "The Kitty-kitty."
When he throws up on the carpet, he's "The Cat."
When we're trying to catch him to make him take his pills, he's "S-shh!"
When he's being a brat or he's gotten into something he shouldn't, he's "Fuzz Face."
("That's MISTER Fuzz Face, to you," says the cat!) ;)

Most of the time, the only reason we call him "Casper" is when he's in trouble for something. ;)

Strange, but he seems to know all of his names. 😳

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I renamed 1 out of my 3. Her original name was Little One and I renamed her to Natasha. She comes running when I call her name. My other 2 came with Angelo and Presley. I wanted to rename them and tried some other names but none of them stuck and I kept their original names.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup! It's tone of voice that cats respond to, most.

Try an experiment: Say, "Bad kitty!" with the same tone of voice that you'd say, "Good kitty!" or say, "Let's go to the vet" with the same voice that you'd say, "Do you want a kitty cookie?" and see how your cat responds.

;) ;) ;)

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cozy's original name was Sweetie which I thought was too obvious.

Years ago I rescued an awesome big black cat named Lucifer. I knew that name wouldn't go over too well on adoption days no I renamed him Louie.

My new cat came with the name Maple. I wasn't crazy about it since I don't really like maple flavor, but it's a cute name and eventually I got used to it. Plus, a lot of her fur has a maple-like color to it.

Some cats never learn their names. I think people use them too often, in too many different contexts. We use it when talking to family to say the cat did x, y and z today. We use it when annoyed with the cat. And on and on. Best to use the name to mean "I want to pay attention to you" and not also 10 different other things like most of us do.
I used Maple's name only positively, such as feeding time and whenever she caught her feather wand toy. I think she know it now.

I think most cats have the ability to know their names and more: my last batch knew each other's names as well! If Rico was hanging out in my bed and I called for Aniki, Rico would look toward the door. This happened too often for it to be a coincidence. Also Rico picked on Cozy. If I called Rico into the room, Cozy would run off. Rico would also respond to some of his nicknames but he was an exceptionally smart cat.

Cozy was one of those tiny females. I used to call her "my little lady". Eventually she responded to that too!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jackie was originally named Sunny (short for Sunshine.) He was 3 months old when I adopted him (foster fail & failed adoption.) He responded to anything ending in a -y sound. I tried out the different parts of his name to see which part of his name he responded to. He came to Cami, Silly, Wiggly, anything that ended with the -y sound. So I then I looked for a name that fit him that ended an -ie. Jackie seemed to fit him.

All my cats have had multiple names though. Dante was known as Punk, Dante, & Bud. Jackie has Twerp, Jackie, Love & Dude.... most commonly called Little Dude.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My three were all named something different when I adopted them. Maisie was Magnolia and because she was at the shelter for 2+ years, I didn't want to change her name too much. Remy was Sammie and Flora was Earl the Girl. They all know their names. Remy and Flora respond to them and come when I call for them and they were both younger when I adopted them (1 year and 8 weeks). Maisie doesn't like people, so even though she knows her name she wouldn't ever willingly come.

With one of my dogs who got returned to the rescue before I adopted him had a different name too. He was Bhairu (pronounced Bye-roo) and I changed it to Roo (really Rooney, but I rarely call him that) because it wasn't too different. I think it's probably easier for animals if it is similar, especially if they are older, but when they are younger it's probably a little easier to get used to a new name.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

njtom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I called my cat by the wrong name, she ignored me, but if I used her name, she'd look. I guess some cats can learn their names after a while.

Fluffnugget

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I renamed mine when I got her but I doubt she really noticed. She responds when I yell "Hey!" to get her off the counter more than if I use her name anyway. I should have named her Temptations because that's what gets her attention the most!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes petsmart had graycie named foggy when we adopted her the lady helping us was so happy soon as i told her she is getting a new name once we began filing out the paperwork. getting her to recognize her new name was easy bribery using treats helps alot at first its going to be the sound of you getting treats out that will bring kitty running to you. then you can gradually phase that out to randomly calling its name and giving reward when it does it will learn its name along with calling out its name asking if its hungry before feeding ityou might end up with a really vocal cat though thats always talking to you :lol:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine learned their new names very quickly because I said their names repeatedly when I gave them their food. Mingo was named "Eros" after the Greek god of lust. No way was I going to call him that. Lily was named "Lily Potter" as she had five kittens at the time and they were all given Harry Potter names. I had been thinking for a long time that I'd like to call a female cat "Lily," so I kept that part. She didn't know her name though, and it took several weeks of calling her Lily before she knew I meant her.

I can call either of them by name and they will come. They even know each other's name. They both like to have some individual time cuddling with me, and if I mention the other cat, the first one will startle and look around for the other cat.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Mocha had been named Martha at the shelter where she lived for a year and a half before I adopted her when she was three. She didn’t look anything like a Martha, but she was half wild and didn’t respond to that name anyway. I named her Mocha, but it took a year for her to learn her name. I tried to teach her her name by using treats, but my other two cats soon started showing up when I said “Mocha,” so that didn’t work! (I actually started a thread here four years ago called Three Cats Named Mocha. :lol: ) Mocha loves to be brushed so I started to use that as the reward instead of treats. She definitely knows and responds to her name.