Changing Cat Probiotics Loose Bowels

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been giving my Emily the same probiotic now for about 7 months now. I started running low on them but had a unopened bottle of a different brand I never used so figured I would use them up before ordering more of the other. For the past two days she's had loose poop. I've given her 5 of the other one. She seems fine other than that and that's the only change I've made. Could that change her stool? I just ordered more of the one I've been using.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been giving my Emily the same probiotic now for about 7 months now. I started running low on them but had a unopened bottle I never used so figured I would use them up before ordering more of the other. For the past two days she's had loose poop. I've given her 5 of the other one. She seems fine other than that and that's the only change I've made. Could that change her stool? I just ordered more of the one I've been using.
It was a different brand I used

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no experience with probiotics but if that is the only change then there's a good chance its the cause. Try giving Emily a little pumpkin, no additives or sprinkling a punch of psyllium on her food twice a day, they should help stop the diarrhoea, or stop the probiotic until the usual brand arrives.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Possibly. Different brands use different bacteria strains. Even if the CFU is the same, the bacteria strains can be different. Compare the new probiotic to the old one and see what the differences are.

It's ok to stop giving probiotics until you get the usual brand delivered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I figured out what was causing Emily's bowel problem. I thought it was the probiotic but it was the canned food. I feed her Taste of the Wild Rocky Mountain canned and order it online. The last 2 cases I got had an expiration date of 11-21 but the texture looked different but I didn't think that was a biggie. I fed her about 5 or so cans of it. I had another case with an expiration date of 12-21 so decided to try a can of that. The texture was perfect and her loose bowels went away immediately. I wrote Taste of the Wild being concerned about other kitties but haven't heard back from them. I did get a replacement of the 2 cases with the 11-21 date and all is well.