Changes to Tidy Cats Litter Formulation?

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We've used Tidy Cats litter for ages.  I like this brand because it produces very little dust and Archie and Lucy tolerate it.  But about a month ago, after buying a replacement container, I noticed a giant dust cloud when I poured the litter into the the cat boxes.  At first I thought it was my imagination or the way the light from the window caught the litter.  Then, I noticed that the container no longer says 99.x% dust free.

Has anyone else noticed this change?  Any recommendations on a different brand that's low in dust?  I hate the floating powder.  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which formula? I think they deliberately make some formulas more dusty to make you buy the other (more expensive) kind :/. I like the black top jug right now, it's not too dusty. But they seem to change formulas fairly often, so annoying.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks.  This is Instant Action (red top), which is what I normally get.  I might have to check at the pet store.  I usually purchase from a big box store since the litter is quite a bit cheaper there than Petco.  There are so many varieties now, it's difficult to keep them all straight.  What I am certain of though, is that these no longer say 99.x% dust free.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just checked the container I have and it does say 99.6% dust free. I'm not sure how long we've had this one because I like to have a few on hand at all times.

But to be honest; I've never believed the litter is 99.6% dust free. Our boxes are in the laundry room/closet and I have a black dryer. It shows the dust very well. Its less noticeable on the white washer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
<snip> But to be honest; I've never believed the litter is 99.6% dust free. <snip>
Oh yeah, I agree.  It's not that I buy into the marketing hype, but that I do find this litter produces noticeably less dust.  I guess I'll see if other stores still have the low dust formulation.  I suppose they might have multiple versions now.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh yeah, I agree.  It's not that I buy into the marketing hype, but that I do find this litter produces noticeably less dust.  I guess I'll see if other stores still have the low dust formulation.  I suppose they might have multiple versions now.
I am going to look the next time I go shopping too.  Noodles is finicky. We tried the gradual change to their lightweight and she told us "no" by peeing on the bath mat.  
  So we stick to the Tidy cat red or blue.