Changes On Felimazole

Jtsousa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our senior cat has hyperthyroidism and has been on Felimazole for almost four weeks. We have observed some changes in him, both good and bad.
Good: he seems more relaxed, he is less easily startled, his bald patches are growing back, and he has put on some weight
Bad: he is vomiting almost daily, he has a sore of his face that he is scratching, he pees outside of the litter box every few days (although this happened before the meds) and he seems to be less affectionate or interested in us.
I’m concerned that the medication is not working out for him, and financially we are not able to go on some other treatment routes, like the surgery or radioactive iodine therapy.
Has anyone else observed these types of changes in their cat on this medication? How did it work out for you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jtsousa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to add that his follow up vet visit is in a week, and of course I’ll bring up my concerns with him as well.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have any help regarding the medication but I am definitely sending a LOT of good wishes your way. Someone else will likely weigh in soon .

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Scooter is older too. He gets an upset tummy from methimazole, so I imagine that even though it is coated, the felimazole can have the same effect. I had better luck by giving Scooter his medication after he ate some food. The vomiting decreased quite a bit. He gets it in a flavored liquid as does his pal Jeffery.

Jtsousa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn’t know you could get the medication in a liquid form. That’s great to know.

Fella’s eyes seem to be watering more too. Sometimes I’ll stroke his face and notice it’s wet. But this morning at least he didn’t throw up his breakfast and he’s also seemed to snap out of his aloof mood. Right now he’s snuggled against me and and asking for pets.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vomiting and itch on cats' faces are among the most known side effects of methimazole in cats.
You could switch to transdermal gel.
It could still not resolve the itching, even if it is likely it will, but the stomach will safe for sure.

Jtsousa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bumped up his vet visit to tomorrow because I’m afraid his face will get worse.

Is the transdermal gel comparable to the pills in cost?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on where you live.
When my cat was on pills, I could have a 100-pill box for 4 (four) euro off-the-counter. A single pill was enough for 2 days, I had to give her 1/4 pill twice daily. A box would last 7 months.
Then I switched to the gel. A syringe was 7 euro and lasted 10 days.
So yes, gel was way more expensive than pills, but the proportion depends on where one lives.