Changes Ahead

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Long story short I live in Japan. My cat Levi has lived with me here since he was a kitten he is now 1 year old. I have wanted to move back to America for awhile. ( been gone 8 years and miss my family, parents getting older, boss is mean to me at work and no advancement here) But I had my cat and boyfriend so I stayed.
My boyfriend cheated on me for the 4th time and I broke up with him. I am now ready to go home. I will stay one more year to sell accumulated house appliances and moving problems etc.

so my cat. He is my life so I will take him with me. First he has to survive a 9 hour plane ride ( looking up companies that let cats travel in cabin with me) That is not biggest fear. I have to live with parents for awhile because I have no savings. My mom has an old female declawed cat named Baba ( She is a sweetheart), an older dog ( she also sweet) and a new big crazy golden retriever puppy. ( known to chase baba) Levi has never met another cat or a dog. Will my baby be ok in new environment and new animals?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no way to tell. It is a situation that would cause most cats a significant level of stress, but how much stress your cat will feel and how long it will last is unknowable. Some cats might get over it within a week or two, and others it might take months and months to integrate them with serious problems if you rush it.

I gather its not that big a deal to bring a pet cat into the US, but make sure you consider where you are flying into. For example, if you were flying into Hawaii it would become a big deal.

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It may be stressful for Levi, but many cats are adopted when older and have to learn to get along with animals they've never experienced before! So it's definitely possible. There's a bunch of great advice for introducing cats to each other (Here's one from Jackson Galaxy). The general rule is taking it slow, and you can probably use the exact same process for introducing cats to each other in order to introduce Levi to the dogs; you want to have a lot of control over the dogs so they don't scare Levi early on. Make sure Levi has lot's of high spots to get away from the dogs as well, so he feels safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It may be stressful for Levi, but many cats are adopted when older and have to learn to get along with animals they've never experienced before! So it's definitely possible. There's a bunch of great advice for introducing cats to each other (Here's one from Jackson Galaxy). The general rule is taking it slow, and you can probably use the exact same process for introducing cats to each other in order to introduce Levi to the dogs; you want to have a lot of control over the dogs so they don't scare Levi early on. Make sure Levi has lot's of high spots to get away from the dogs as well, so he feels safe.
ok. I think that is doable. I have a year to plan. I know Levi scared of alot of things. So I am quite worried.